1/35 Russian PT boat dio -work 4/5 finished
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi guys,
This one was supposed to be finished when i took the pics (those kind of pics I take, take me a loooong time to come with), but then I was keeping it in my garden shed since 2 weeks knowing something wasn't quite right.

Indeed the base is not done, but I really grew unhappy with the not so square shape of the dio, the ground cover looking crap near the framing, and with the stoopid balsa framing too, i am a really crap wood worker -unless it's for doing some boats, so yesterday I fixed some sand paper to a wood plank, and spent an hour sanding the borders of the diorama and make its height thinner so that I could fix it on a (not made by me) nice wooden block.

So next time you see that one, the water will still be blue, but it will look like a way more satisfactory diorama for me

I hope you will like it

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Model Shipwrights: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi JB,

Wow!! Looking A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!

I love everything about it! But especially the way you've got the sea drawing back before the wave crashes down again.

Keep well my friend

Rudi
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
JB, as always, mon ami, Fantastic artistry...
Your dioramas are such a consistent source of inspiration for myself (as well as many others! ), and I really love to watch them as they unfold...thanks for keeping us updated as this (and other) dioramas have been brought to life by your talents, mate...
Cheers,
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Thans Rudi and Mark for appreciating my romantic antics
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
Beautiful work JB. The up close photos of the boat look as if they are photos of the real thing.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC
Thank you Kenny -I will try to get one of those nice bases like the one you did for your LCVP for that diorama, and THEN I will represent it
PeteV
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 172 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 02:56 AM UTC
Jean Bernard.

As I have already said my friend, EXCELLENT, as you are aware I am a big fan of your work and think that your representation of water is about the best I have seen without getting wet, come to think about it your water looks more like the real stuff than the real stuff does, if anyone doubts me come to Bristol and take a look at the Feeder Canal or Avon River as it makes its way to the sea.

Too Thick to drink, too thin to plough.

PeteV

PS.

Looking forward to visiting France next week, love the place.

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 03:06 AM UTC
That is fantastic work.

It looks great as it is!
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 05:17 AM UTC
i would like to know what the 2 things at the front of the ship were used for ??? Overall, I think it looks great.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Too Thick to drink, too thin to plough.

you've got a great sense of formula
thanks a lot for your comments my friend, and have a really nice trip in France.
Bristol? inspirational place.. I've got a musician friend there, he says he gets his inspiration simply by opening his windows, the place sounds great.

thank you Murdo, but hey, it really should look better with a nice wooden base!!

Lou thanks for your comments too, now the 2 things at the front are the place where the Russians stocked their pole mines -and also the guides to put them under enemy ships. In 1877, Makarov used some long poles (7 meters or so) with some mines looking like Panzerfausts at one end and used them against Turkish ships.
Now I may be wrong, but i think a similar system was used during the American Civil War, but it's with Makarov that the system really proved successful as the Turkish fleet was basically kept in its harbors because of the threat.

Of course 15-20 years later torpedoes were invented.. which was certainly less risky for the crews..

Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the history on my question, interesting, would never had imagined it. I was thinking it was used for when the ship docked so it wouldnt damage anything in the process. Again, loved the color, lighting, everything, congrats again.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC
Beautiful work as always JB, it turned out very nice indeed !!!
Glenn
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 05:24 PM UTC
Thank you Lou and Glenn for the comments, actually the diorama is still in my garden shed as i couldn't find the time to clear up the last big defects -framing and not enough ground cover. A definitive version will soon appear however
too bad I didn't find any usable pic of one of those PT boats equipped with pole mines, they look like they're equipped for rough whale hunting!

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi jba,

This is super. Love the setting and the colours you've used. The whole thing looks stunning. I'll be interested to see the re-worked base, another master piece my firend.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:46 PM UTC
Thanks Alan my friend, it is finished
the sbs rests comfortably in one kitmaker corner at the mo'

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC
Just amaxing, the colours are stunning and the little chap with his bald head, well.....

I shall revisit this many time in the future.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP