_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
USS The Sullivans at Sibuyan Sea.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
I picked up the Trumpeter 1/350 kit this weekend, and I've decided to build her for the Leyte Gulf campaign. I though I was going to have to portray another Fletcher class, as I didn't think The Sullivans was at Leyte Gulf. I just found this link, http://www.navweaps.com/index_oob/OOB_WWII_Pacific/OOB_WWII_Sibuyan_Sea.htm that shows The Sullivans as part of Destroyer Squadron 52, of Task Group 38.2. Yeah, now I don't have to try to dig up decals for another ship.

So now to the questions.

The instructions call out for 1943 and 1945 versions. Naturally Sibuyan Sea was in 1944. Now I'm guessing that since I find no record of a trip to a yard for a modernizing overhaul between her launch and Oct 1944 that she wouldn't have changed her armament or radar, which seems to be the major differences between the two years. Does this sound right? Now as to her camo? I think she'd probably still be wearing her 1943 paint job. Basically this is Navy Blue hull, Haze Gray superstructure, and Deck Blue decks.

Does this sound right folks, or does anybody have any more detailed info?

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
She was in Measure 21.

Here's some more info The Sullivans
Removed by original poster on 05/01/07 - 18:03:46 (GMT).
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

She was in Measure 21.

Here's some more info The Sullivans

Gee, what a concept, the kit instructions were wrong? Imagine that.

Ok, that means one less paint color to buy. Now I just need to pick up some Navy Blue., and Deck Blue. I like acrylics, and the local shops don't carry Gunze, like the kit calls for, so I'm going to give Floquil Poly Scale. I like their armor paints.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
hey all,

Instructions wrong????? Thats like saying the military does strange things......that can't be true....lol. Hope you post some pics of your build soon. I would join this campaign but my better half has told me to finish some stuff before I start more.
JPK
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 05:30 AM UTC
According to my copy of "Anatomy of the Ship The Destroyer The Sullivans" the ship wore two different camouflage schemes during WWII. She was first painted in Measure 11 overall Sea Blue, 5-S. That scheme was replaced by Measure 22, Navy Blue, 5-N and Haze Gray 5-H when she went in for her AA refit in 1945.

I wasn't paying attention to the date. Ooops.
 _GOTOTOP