These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
First attempt at water
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 09:34 PM UTC
Here are shots of my first attempt at water. I actually got some respect from the wife and kids, they really seemed to like these.

It might not be clear from this shot but the idea here is that the Chokai has made a calm lee to her port side for the plane to land. The water is supposed to be smoother to port, more rough to starboard.

For the Chokai I first put down Celuclay on the base, then painted it blue, then put down clear caulk, using a tube of caulk and a caulking gun. I then painted the caulk blue, with white for the bow and stern wakes, then dry brushed white. All paints used were inexpensive hobby acrylics.

At a guess I'd say this plane has a wingspan of about 1/2 inch. My wife couldn't believe I assembled it! Thanks to my Enkay Magnifying Headwear, thanks to a tip from MSW!

For Tatsuta I left off the Celuclay base, and didn't pre paint the blue. I think some of the brown from the base shows through a bit so I don't think I'll do it this way again.

Tatsuta was sunk by two submarine torpedos. I made a slash in the caulk with a putty knife, then painted the wakes white to represent this.

I really had fun with these bases and certainly plan on doing it more.

strokkur
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 02:19 AM UTC
I'll be happy when I have a go at water for the first time if it looks half as good.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
Nice work Rodger. I love the torpedo wakes.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 07:05 AM UTC
I think it's great. I've got a bunch of 1/700 kits lying around gathering dust, because I'm petrified thinking about making a "sea"-base...
I'm with Sam...If my first attempt comes anywhere near yours...I'm smilin'...

Mike

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. Sam and Mike, I can only say come on in the waters fine. (Ok, sorry about the horrendous pun!) I think I spent maybe $5.00 for materials for both bases, if that. If it didn't work I'm sure I could have removed the ships and started over. Give it a try.

SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 238 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi Rodger,
I've just done my first attempt at a dio with water as well,(first ship )
(My first dio thread)

Are your ships waterline or full hulls ?

If I can afford to I think I'll see about getting HMS Exeter , HMS Ajax and HMS Achillies and complete the Battle of the River Plate.

SAS007
 _GOTOTOP