These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
My first dio
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 238 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
This is my first attempt and build of a ship, Matchbox 1/700th waterline "Admiral Graf Spee".

I had an idea as to how I was going to do the dio and looked at certain ways of doing the water effect. I eventually just cut a block of packing polystyrene with a saw giving it an uneven effect.
Next I placed the hull of the boat onto the block , marked around it , removed it and then ran a line of liquid glue along the lines and it melted the poly.
Once the ship was in place I covered the base in PVA glue , spread it out with a brush leaving some parts higher and letting it dry.
I then painted the base , and added more glue spreading it out again and letting it dry.
The wave effect down the sides was made by running a line of PVA glue right down either side of the model and brushed to give it a wave effect.
As it was drying I added a white paint just lightly brushed along the sides.
When dry I added more white to make the wake more visible and then gave the base a layer of clear to give it a shine.
I've still to add a bit more white down the sides as I've been advised the wake would be wider from the middle of the model.

I hope you like it .

(PS rigging is made from my daughters hair)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 08:51 PM UTC
Ahoy Steve. Welcome to Model Shipwrights!

That looks pretty good for your first attempt.

As an alternative to PVA glue for your water, try white paintable caulk. It smooths and sculps very easily. I use a foam brush to make my waves.
 _GOTOTOP