_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
More help with P.E.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC
This is the first time I've ever worked with PE. I'm working with the Tom's Modelworks PE set for the Tamiya 1/700 Indianapolis. (I finally found the instructions, but I must say I'm not impressed by them.) One item I have to fold is the catapult track. It's supposed to come out U shaped. I have a very small bending tool but I'm not sure how to bend this. I can put the center portion into the tool, and bend one side upward, but then how do I bend the other side up?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the first time I've ever worked with PE. I'm working with the Tom's Modelworks PE set for the Tamiya 1/700 Indianapolis. (I finally found the instructions, but I must say I'm not impressed by them.) One item I have to fold is the catapult track. It's supposed to come out U shaped. I have a very small bending tool but I'm not sure how to bend this. I can put the center portion into the tool, and bend one side upward, but then how do I bend the other side up?

Rodge, I use a Hold-n-fold for complex bends on small parts...what type of tool are you using? The H-n-f has small "fingers" of different widths that allows for bends such as this...
~Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rodge, I use a Hold-n-fold for complex bends on small parts...what type of tool are you using? The H-n-f has small "fingers" of different widths that allows for bends such as this...
~Gunny

It was very inexpensive, about $15.00. It's called a Mr Fold It. It's about 2 inch by 3 inch. It has one full width "finger" and several small fingers. The small ones are narrow enough, but nowhere near long enough for this piece.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Rodger

My advice would be to form the curv part first, and them fold the 90º angles with the flat part on the "ground", and then procede the same way on the other side - it doesn't matter what kind of tool you are using, you just have to think and engineer the best way for you to bend your PE
I hope this helps

Skipper
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 07:56 PM UTC
when working with P.E. it's alot of thinking and some imagination. Think twice bend once....
 _GOTOTOP