_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
USS Midway
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 04:45 PM UTC
OK, it's not me, in fact I've never met the people in the photos, but J Green posted it on another "Veteran Site", and gave me permission to post it here.

USS Midway-
One of the main engines' throttle boards (there were 4 of these) what controls the turbines, that make the ship go.
I spent many a day and night staring at a throttle board similar to this on the ships I was on.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 04:54 PM UTC
Dave,
Forgive me for asking this but I was a ground pounder and don't know a whole lot about the navy. Did they really make you guys shine all that stuff?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:08 PM UTC
Nice shot, Dave, very impressive indeed...
Thanks for sharing!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:20 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing Dave
(And I thought I had a lot of buttons and radar screens to manage)

Skipper
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
Forgive me for asking this but I was a ground pounder and don't know a whole lot about the navy. Did they really make you guys shine all that stuff?

In a word- YES-
Polishing the "bright work" was a daily practice. The throttle wheels on my ships had the rim sections painted, but the spokes and knobs polished. Black for the HP turbine, and Red for the astern turbine, so you didn't get them mixed up during "sea and anchor" or "maneuvering", when the speed changes came at a fast and furious rate. So fast we actually had an extra man assigned to just log in the "Bells" as they came, while the throttle-man handled the throttles. I imagine they were also painted that way on the Midway when she was active. My ships also didn't have a cruising turbine, so we had only two throttle wheels.
Here the deck plates are painted, on one of my ships we polished the steel deck plates daily, on hands and knees with wire brushes.
Notice the fan- no AC- we also had the blower ducts above us for "cooling".
 _GOTOTOP