_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
DML's HMS Liverpool, "Premium"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Ahoy, mates!
Join me in a closer look at Dragon Models Limited new RN subject, "HMS Liverpool", Premium Edtion, in 1/700 scale plastic.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 01:56 AM UTC
Thanks Mark
Good review

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 02:26 PM UTC
Thanks, Skip...nice kit, cool subject, DML quality...should make for an interesting display!
~Gunny
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 04:42 PM UTC
Thanks Gunny,

Been thinking about this one since I heard it was coming out....nice.

Ciao
Luciano
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 03:13 AM UTC
Now, that looks really NICE!

I haven't built a small scale ship since the Airfix 1/600 HMS Fearless about 35 years ago.

How common a scale is 1/700?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, that looks really NICE!

I haven't built a small scale ship since the Airfix 1/600 HMS Fearless about 35 years ago.

How common a scale is 1/700?

Ahoy, Murdo!

1/700 is becoming a more common scale with many, as it fills the niche for modelers who don't have a great amount of display room for finished models...some 1/350 scale ships are QUITE large, and the details on many newer 1/700 subjects are very good, and getting better all the time...there are many resin producers putting out great kits in this scale, as well as the plastic producers, and a good bit of aftermarket accessories are available, too...overall, one of the most popular size scales, mate!
Cheers,
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:42 AM UTC
HI Murdo

Actually 1/700 scale has the most ship models you could want!
From Pre-WWI to today's navy's are all covered - If you think of any ship, there must be a 1/700 model (either plastic or resin).
And it's not only the question of space

You can see some 1/700 scale delights (IMHO) here:
Small is beautifull...remember?

Cheers,
Skipper
bauherr
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 07:58 PM UTC
Dear Gunny,
I'm building the Dragon's Liverpool and I do agree with you about this kit: funny and beautiful. However...

I found photoetched fret doesn't contain the same parts as the instructions sheet shows. In fact, parts nr. 13 and 14 ( for a mast) are completely missing! I thought I bought a defective box, but I saw the same difference in the photos of your review. So, probably this is the "standard" situation.
The message to all modelers is: pay attention to not cut away yards/antennas of the A29 plastic part (mast), as shown in point 3 of the instructions sheet. Unless you want to scratchbuild the yards! It's exactly what happened to me...

Again, point 7 and point 10 of the instruction sheet show confusing cuts on A14 and A15 parts. Really, I don't know if these cuts are correct. I suspect a couple of cut parts must remain in their places.

Again, in the "Features" section there are photos of a Liverpool built from a Dragon's kit, by Christer Johansson. The kit he used seems different from the Dragon's nr.7069, or there is a lot of scratchbuild ??? In other words, Dragon released different kits of the HMS Liverpool?

Regards
Stefano
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hello Stefano,
Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

Very interesting find that you have, my friend, one that I hadn't picked up on...and I can't even go back and double check on with my review sample, as I've given the kit away to a budding ship modeler...although a very viable point that you have made!

As with most model manufacturers, the instructions are usually the last and most hurried part of the kit process, and I'm not that surprised to hear of this one...what I am a bit surprised is your comment of Christer's build being different, as if I can remember correctly, it was an OOB build of the same kit...

Now, my question is to our membership, has anyone else built this kit and experienced what Stefano has? If so, please help us out by listing your experiences in this thread...

~Gunny
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 05:45 AM UTC
Great review Gunny.... I have that one in my stash, have not open it yet...

I also have couple other Dragon premium kits un-started, maybe in a couple months once things settle down with me I can attempt a review, if you think that would be useful to the membership.

let me know if you want me to check my own copy of the HMS Liverpool for anything, ill try to get to it in the next few days...
bauherr
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Stefano,
Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

Very interesting find that you have, my friend, one that I hadn't picked up on...and I can't even go back and double check on with my review sample, as I've given the kit away to a budding ship modeler...although a very viable point that you have made!

As with most model manufacturers, the instructions are usually the last and most hurried part of the kit process, and I'm not that surprised to hear of this one...what I am a bit surprised is your comment of Christer's build being different, as if I can remember correctly, it was an OOB build of the same kit...

Now, my question is to our membership, has anyone else built this kit and experienced what Stefano has? If so, please help us out by listing your experiences in this thread...

~Gunny

Dear Mark,
Many thanks for your reply.
I'll post pictures of "my" Liverpool as soon as completed, that is in a couple of days. It's absolutely OOB. So everyone will be able to compare it with the Christer's one. In my opinion, the Christer's Liverpool is the true HMS liverpool, while what I'm finishing and weatering now is similar ... to HMS Sheffield !!! Let's say a kind of GMS (Genetically Modified Ship)
I'm going to contact the italian sales representative of Dragon to clarify this issue and I'll post any useful info I'll get from them.

"Last but not least" the Dragon's Liverpool it's a funny kit to build...

Stefano
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great review Gunny.... I have that one in my stash, have not open it yet...

I also have couple other Dragon premium kits un-started, maybe in a couple months once things settle down with me I can attempt a review, if you think that would be useful to the membership.

let me know if you want me to check my own copy of the HMS Liverpool for anything, ill try to get to it in the next few days...

Thanks James!

I most definitely would like to see some product reviews from you, mate, I have an open philosophy with reviews, as no matter old or new, we all can benefit from getting a closer look at all products....and as the reviewer, odds are that you're going to learn something along the way from extra research needed to form an educated opinion of the subject...if you need any help, you know where to find me!
Cheers,
~Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Mark,
Many thanks for your reply.
I'll post pictures of "my" Liverpool as soon as completed, that is in a couple of days. It's absolutely OOB. So everyone will be able to compare it with the Christer's one. In my opinion, the Christer's Liverpool is the true HMS liverpool, while what I'm finishing and weatering now is similar ... to HMS Sheffield !!! Let's say a kind of GMS (Genetically Modified Ship)

GMS...I love it! Looking forward to seeing your work, Stefano!

Quoted Text

I'm going to contact the italian sales representative of Dragon to clarify this issue and I'll post any useful info I'll get from them.

"Last but not least" the Dragon's Liverpool it's a funny kit to build...

Stefano

That sounds great, my friend, as I would be highly interested to know what the makers have to say about the issues...keep us posted!

Cheers,
~Gunny
bauherr
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Here are a few photos of my HMS Liverpool from Dragon's 1/700 kit. This is the result of following the instructions sheet. I do hope I've correctly uploaded them.
Differences with the RN official photos and the Christer's Liverpool are quite evident.

:-H
Hi
Stefano
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 04:53 AM UTC
Nice build Stefano!
How are you going to display the finished model?...planning on a water base, or stand alone?...I would love to make an "On Display" feature of the model when you are ready, mate, all I need is about 15 or 20 seperate images of the model, different angle shots, etc...if you're interested, mate, let me know!
Cheers,
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
Don't know how I missed this review. Great stuff Gunny.

Kenny
bauherr
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice build Stefano!
How are you going to display the finished model?...planning on a water base, or stand alone?...I would love to make an "On Display" feature of the model when you are ready, mate, all I need is about 15 or 20 seperate images of the model, different angle shots, etc...if you're interested, mate, let me know!
Cheers,
~Gunny

I'm very happy of your opinion about my "GMS masterwork". Be sure I'll send you asap photos for an on display feature. When I bought this kit I planned to build a water base, and this is a great opportunity to build one. It would be my first water base, as this is my first ship since ???...
Certainly I built my last ship when I was about 10 (1969 or 1970). Probably it was a Bismarck. To be honest, my father built it and I gave him a hand, not so helpful

Cheers
Stefano
MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
Nice job Stefano, very subtle paint job.

Mike
bauherr
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
Concerning my doubts on this kit Rodolfo Mattavelli, a friend from an italian modeling forum (M+), suggested me to check the Liverpool's early configurations.
It was a very good idea, as I found this web page containing a photo dtd 1983:
www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/great_britain/pages/destroyers/hms_liverpool_d92_page_1.htm
It seems very similar to the Dragon kit, OOB and as per instructions sheets

Cheers
Stefano

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 07:04 AM UTC
HMS Liverpood D92

Ciao Stefano!
Working link and looking forward to see you MOD!

Auguri,

Rui
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nice build Stefano!
Cheers,
~Gunny

I'm very happy of your opinion about my "GMS masterwork". Be sure I'll send you asap photos for an on display feature. When I bought this kit I planned to build a water base, and this is a great opportunity to build one. It would be my first water base, as this is my first ship since ???...
Certainly I built my last ship when I was about 10 (1969 or 1970). Probably it was a Bismarck. To be honest, my father built it and I gave him a hand, not so helpful

Cheers
Stefano

Hmmm, a water base eh?
We have quite a few VERY good water base making features here onsite, mate, including the new front page feature from Carl...take a look at them, my friend, and see if they would suit you!
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP