Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 06:19 PM UTC
Maybe you can post some pictures if you want to

bis denne

Christian [Quoted]

Here you go.

At the left are the French Smoke Buoys with their broken baskets, at the right, the German ones with their baskets intact. In the background you can see the one of the kit supplied parts and how woefully inadequate it is. Badly in need of replacement. The Shapeways parts are a big improvement.

Here is a shot of the French buoys alone.

Couldn't get a closer shot, but you can see where the two broken-off legs are still attached to the buoy and how thick the joint is. Especially compared to the attachment points between the German buoys and their baskets. Like I said don't know if this was a design glitch or a manufacturing issue. But a more delicate attachment point would make it easier to safely separate the baskets from the buoy.

I'll close with a couple of shots of what I've done with my boat so far.

As you can see, I using Bob Palmacci's drawings, I enlarged the opening for the forward gun tub. I also modified the gun mount. Cutting the deck to make the hole bigger was the scariest moment for me. I had visions of ruining a rather expensive kit. Al
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC
Hello Al,

thank you for posting the pictures, very nice build indeed. Also very detailed that you rebuild all the slats left and right of the bridge. Regardless which boat you build your would need another life raft and a dingy. For detailing I can inform you that the Torpedo Targeting computer is currently under completion. I am just seperating the part that required black painting from the model.

The 2 fuel hoses left and right after the bridge could also be detailed instead of the ugly poles from Italeri. If I am not mistaking I have the fuel hoses from Accurate Armour, today I woulkd probably do them via 3D

bis denne

Christian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 07:08 PM UTC
Regardless which boat you build your would need another life raft and a dingy. [Quoted]

Thanks Christian, I had built Bronco's Type XXIII U-Boat which is 1/35th scale a while back. It came with a nicely detailed little rubber dingy that I didn't use and still have. Bronco also sells a set containing two of the same, which I also picked up. So, I now have three. Looking forward to seeing the Targeting Computer. It is a rather prominent feature on the bridge. Al
jarrow
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:55 PM UTC
Al,

Can you tell me more about your decking on either side of the bridge?

Thanks,
Jim
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Al,

Can you tell me more about your decking on either side of the bridge?

Thanks,
Jim

Hello Jim, I used the kit supplied PE parts and cut Evergreen plastic strips to match the raised sections on the PE. It was simple, if tedious. Pieces with an angled edge were slightly more difficult to get right. Not hard to do at all. I did the same with the other smaller PE parts on the main and fore decks. Al
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 209 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
Gents.
First off all ..TOP Topic, keep up the good work

2nd
Is there a list or can we make one, where i can find the changes i have to make to covert a S100 into a S38B

thnx
chris
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
you can find some good plans on Roberts webpage (second page): http://rpalmacci.free.fr/page2.htm
jarrow
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
Thanks.
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:39 PM UTC
Thank you all for your help. especially Christian.
What I mean is not the early one so the speak but the ones with the kalotte (skull cap) like this one

What are the diffence between this one and a S-100 type
Also i like the know if anyone has a better image of the armour shield in front of the 40mm bofors

thnx
chris
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hello Chris,

the difference is actuall on thze fron coming from the karlotte. They opened the front of the S38 Wheelhouse and "simply added the karlotte . The wheelhause as such remained intact, wqe could say that was a kind of field adaptation, but at the end resulted in the evolvement of a new class the S100. Good Pictures, not that view or detail...my 50 cent

bis denne

Christian
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 12:01 AM UTC
christian thnx again.

Has any of you got better pictures or drawings of this shield used on a flak28.. bofors

(picture.. S-boat book by jean-phillipe dallies)
thnx again
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:51 AM UTC
my 5 cent o share, even though the shields seem to be different:

xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
Here is a movie I was able to make today while a friend of mine was steering the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUe1Bd-7PN4&feature=youtu.be

have fun

bis denne

Christian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 02:51 PM UTC
Great video Christian, she looks lean, mean, and fast. Birds are out of scale though. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 07:39 AM UTC
I'd like to commend the folks at Shapeways for their outstanding customer service. I had ordered the French smoke-buoys (along with the German style ones) from them and upon delivery found the parts to be damaged.

Part of the problem was how they were packaged for shipping, but what I didn't realize was that there was also a problem with how they were printed. The connection points between the parts of the German Smoke-buoys set were very fine and delicate. This allowed the parts to be separated quite easily. The connection between the damaged parts was quite heavy and would have made separating them without damage problematic. Emails were exchanged and the fine folks at Shapeways came through. They corrected the problem and I received my replacement parts today and not only were they well protected, they were printed perfectly.

In the second photo you can clearly see the dainty connection points that I'm talking about. I would heartily recommend these two sets of smoke-buoys to anyone planning on building Italeri's Schnellboot. They are a quantum leap in improvement over the kit supplied parts. I wish other companies would provide the commitment to customer satisfaction that Shapeways has shown. I have Italeri's PT-109 in the stash and Shapeways have some items that I was planning on scratch-building for the boat that I want to depict. Now I don't have to. Al
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 05:32 PM UTC
Hello Al,

I am glad that you got your replacements along with the client satifaction. I recommedn to twist of one bouey and than cut of the baskets.

I had similar experice with my Targeting computer, which is on its way to my hands as another reprint.

bis denne

Christian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 05:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip Christian. I'll remember that when I go to separate them. I am real pleased with the people at Shapeways, they really try to rectify a problem and satisfy the customer
. Al
jarrow
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:09 PM UTC
Christian,

My order from shapeways arrived and the parts look great.

Thank you
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:18 PM UTC
Thank you Jim I am still struggeling a bit with Shapeways and my printed Torpedozielsäule.

I have the printed evidence in my hands:

still the product cannot be purchased as the checks find to often measures that are in danger of not being printed (too thin). I hope to have this solved soon without increasing material thickness in accordance to the design guidelines.

bis denne

Christian
jarrow
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:07 PM UTC
I was able to purchase one of your Torpedozielsäule. I did not get a chance to closely inspect it only ensure that there were no loose pieces. Is there anything that I should look out for?

Thanks,
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hello Jim,

Shapeways claims that the handpin of the large handwheel and the spokes of the small handwheel cannot be printed. Those are the only 2 issues (until now). Are those intact at you model?

bis denne

Christian
jarrow
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jim,

Shapeways claims that the handpin of the large handwheel and the spokes of the small handwheel cannot be printed. Those are the only 2 issues (until now). Are those intact at you model?

bis denne

Christian

Christian,

The small hand wheel has spokes and the large hand wheel does not have a pin. It looks just like the picture that you provided. I can see where I think the hand pin goes, the lower right spoke at the 4 o'clock position.

Jim
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:52 AM UTC
correct Jim, my model is missing that pin too. Well I will probably shape Handle from a toothpick and glue it in position.
It is also a matter how the remaining powder is being dusted away from the model.

bis denne

Christian
tegunn
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:54 AM UTC
Christian,
If you are referring to the frosty finish, try using an air eraser(looks like an airbrush but blows an abrasive) and use baking soda as the abrasive. People have had luck with this method. Keep the parts on the sprue/trees until it's mostly finished.
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:44 AM UTC
I am currently working on the S38 wheelhouse, here is a picture of the first draft, still many details that need to be added, but as a teaser it should do the trick.

bis denne

Christian