_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Dreadnought 1907
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 10:20 PM UTC
Inspirational, Bill
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks Russell!
mgrummitt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC
Great build! It's been great following you on this one!

Cheers!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks Mike! Glad you enjoyed this little voyage along with me.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC
Ahoy Bill

A great build of a fine ship. Well done Bill.

Thanks for blogging here Bill.

I can see the 150 hours of effort in this build however I think I clearly need to get some time management lessons from you because I am honest to say I struggle to get the time & focus to build.

Your build has certainly renewed my efforts/to find the focus & time.

Love to see you blog another ship here sometime soon.

Cheers

Sean
Rugbyhead
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 09:46 PM UTC
Simply magnificent!!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
Thanks Andrew, glad you enjoyed it with me!

Quoted Text

Ahoy Bill

A great build of a fine ship. Well done Bill.

Thanks for blogging here Bill.

I can see the 150 hours of effort in this build however I think I clearly need to get some time management lessons from you because I am honest to say I struggle to get the time & focus to build.

Your build has certainly renewed my efforts/to find the focus & time.

Love to see you blog another ship here sometime soon.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks as well Sean! It was my pleasure to blog the build here and share it with the community. I hear you on the time/focus issue, I had the luxury of being able to work on this daily 4-5 hours each day depending over the last month and a half but will be slowing back down again as I start teaching my fall semester classes for the coming term. This one worked out perfectly in between though and filled the gap nicely!

It was certainly a nice diversion from my normal arena of armor building and you never know when a ship will come back up into the 'normal' rotation of things!
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 04:10 AM UTC

Hi Bill,

Great job ! I've followed every step with great interest and learned a lot.

Thanks for sharing

Giovanni
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 04:48 AM UTC
My pleasure Giovanni, thanks for the kind words!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
A beautiful build Bill, does the "Old Girl" justice.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A beautiful build Bill, does the "Old Girl" justice.

Thanks Julian! Appreciate the kind words!
Shipshape
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 05:31 AM UTC
Know this is a bit late by the date of the last post to the thread, but I just wanted to say this is a very clean, precise and well done build of this vessel. I have built her as a 1/700 and in 1/300 as well in card. At this time I am building the Zvezda version of this ship. I also am using WEM's PE and a Pontos deck. Have not got very far, but have noticed some differances between the two by looking @ your completed project.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks Ricky! Appreciate the kind words. The Zvezda kit was the first one to hit the market and does indeed have some differences with the Trumpeter kit although I personally have no experience with the Zvezda offering myself. Looks like you're off to a great start with yours for sure.
JohnRixon
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Bill.
I'm a brand new member of this forum, and have joined on the strength of your outstanding build log of HMS Dreadnought, which I have just started building myself. I have a question (or two!) I hadn't planned on using wooden decks, but am taken by how they look on your model, is the thickness of the decking the same as the railing height of the lower rail on the supplied PE? And if I chose not to use the wooden decking, what does one attach the PE railings to?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:27 PM UTC
Welcome aboard John! Always great to see new faces to the crowd! Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of your build soon here on MSW!

While Bill will probably swing in at some point and let you know of his experience with the deck on this ship, I will say that the wood decks offered up are extremely thin and are laser cut to fit the decks just about perfectly and have cutouts for all of the parts including superstructures. I regards to the railings, the decking falls short, in most cases, leaving an outside band of plastic around the edge where the railings get attached. I am not sure if there are any areas where the decking would cover this edge, but if it did, the thickness of the decking itself should not effect the high of the railing to where it would be noticeable.

wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bill.
I'm a brand new member of this forum, and have joined on the strength of your outstanding build log of HMS Dreadnought, which I have just started building myself. I have a question (or two!) I hadn't planned on using wooden decks, but am taken by how they look on your model, is the thickness of the decking the same as the railing height of the lower rail on the supplied PE? And if I chose not to use the wooden decking, what does one attach the PE railings to?

The Trumpeter kit layout allows for a slight lip area around the deck where the wood ends and the steel hull begins on the various components IIRC, although this is true only for the main hull and not the superstructure areas. The wood decking is paper thin and helps create just a little more edge as a result for the railings to attach to at their bottom edge. If you don't use a wood deck, you can attach the railings directly to the appropriate area using the bottom of the railing if you're careful with the glue as the necessary point of contact.

One thing you will have to keep in mind with everything that you install on top of the wood decking is that it does add a fraction of a mm height to the area in question, so the fit and attachment of components, particularly those that 'stack' on top of each other, might have to have some adjustments made and/or the wood decking trimmed out a bit. I did my best to note that in the build log whenever I encountered it but thought it worth pointing out here as a general side-effect of employing a wood deck. HTH and good luck with your build!
JohnRixon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC
Thanks for that, have ordered a wooden deck from ebay today, looks too good not to fit, been spending the day folding brass…I'm gonna need a second sheet of PE, learning on the go!
JohnRixon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome, I have definitely got the ship bug…
Photo Etch terrifies me, but am determined to master it! Those spindly funnel inserts are giving me sleepless nights just thinking about them, but as said to Bill, have ordered a second Eduard set, just to make the obvious mistakes without worrying about it - expensive, I know, but each bit of brass I fold, gets better.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the welcome, I have definitely got the ship bug…
Photo Etch terrifies me, but am determined to master it! Those spindly funnel inserts are giving me sleepless nights just thinking about them, but as said to Bill, have ordered a second Eduard set, just to make the obvious mistakes without worrying about it - expensive, I know, but each bit of brass I fold, gets better.

Can't hurt to have some spares! PE is like anything, it just takes a little getting used to...and don't feel like just because there's a replacement part on the fret that you MUST use it. Sometimes the PE parts can be a step backward in terms of detail or appearance due to the limitations of the medium and/or not add enough to be worth the torture of using.
JohnRixon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:14 PM UTC
sounds like good advice! I find myself fascinated by the tiny details, but my sight isn't what it was, so magnifiers are the order of the day! But getting the folds spot on and seeing the end product is rewarding. I wish I had some spares for that funnel piece though, I'll be amazed and proud if I can nail that!
JohnRixon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:46 PM UTC
May I ask how you fold the ladder steps up? I'm cracking on with PE now, and continue to get better at it, but the steps look like there just be some trick to fold?
I keep thinking about starting the funnel baffles, and keep chickening out
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

May I ask how you fold the ladder steps up? I'm cracking on with PE now, and continue to get better at it, but the steps look like there just be some trick to fold?
I keep thinking about starting the funnel baffles, and keep chickening out

I found it easiest to fold up the steps after the ladder sides were bent in place using a bending tool. A pair of fine tip tweezers allowed each step to be positioned as needed by starting at the top step and moving down. Took a little patience but worked out once I got the hang of it.
JohnRixon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
Thank you for that, I shall plough on, making very regular reference to this build log!
 _GOTOTOP