_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
PT 109 Question
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A wheel barrel.

Seriously? Or, are you just funnin' and tryin' to pull the leg of a poor gullible country boy. Al
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 11:43 PM UTC
Bridge's books just arrived. Unfortunately, they only focus on the boat during June-August 1943 (tubes) and there are almost no photographs in the non-modeling book. There are, however, copies of memoranda that address the development and fitment of the 20mm mounts.

Al Ross
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Model Shipwrights: 84 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:01 AM UTC
what is a wheel barrel?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:51 AM UTC
I believe he meant a "wheel barrow"
Cheers,
Joe
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
Something to carry things in at a construction yard or back yard.

Al B., No - I'm not joking, sir. Maybe the crew used it to carry heavy on board ... but that's just an opinion ... it has wheels and a 'container' ... it sort of reminds me of one of those carts they used at a mine ...

But, don't go by me.

It's an interesting object to see on a PT ...

And, oh, ...

Wayne Traxel confirmed something for me. PT-190, at the time she and the 191 were attacked by 30-40 Japanese planes, had a 37mm M4 mounted on MK.X mount where the first series 80-footers had a 20mm aft.

Also, he stated that PT-155 had a 37mm M4 mounted to its MK. IV mount aft as well.

Those two boats with those configurations would make interesting-looking models.

Tim
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hey you PT-109 modelers out there, Just saw a post that WEM is closing its doors - https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/228768

If you have the Revell PT-109 kit and want AM stuff for it. This could be your last chance...

No Cheers
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC
Does anyone out there have a line drawing, or really good photo, of the SCR-517A radar, as installed in two of RON 9's boats (PT's 153 & 155)? I don't need the actual radar scanner, just the protective canvas cover and the supporting framework. I've done a search and been on the ptboat forum. So far, I've only have only found a few photos of actual boats with this radar mounted, and one modeler's scratch-built installation. I can get a pretty good idea of shapes and dimensions from the info that I've found, but would prefer an accurate line drawing to work from. I was leaning towards doing PT-157, but now I'm thinking that one of it's radar equipped brethren might make a more visually interesting subject. Any help would be appreciated. Al
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC
Alex Johnson sent me some photos of the SCR-517 radar which I had posted on my site. They might help you. Additionally, there was an article on either Cybermodeler or Internetmodeler that had a diagram showing that radar. That may help you, Al.

I'm only trying to help.

Quoted Text

Does anyone out there have a line drawing, or really good photo, of the SCR-517A radar, as installed in two of RON 9's boats (PT's 153 & 155)? I don't need the actual radar scanner, just the protective canvas cover and the supporting framework. I've done a search and been on the ptboat forum. So far, I've only have only found a few photos of actual boats with this radar mounted, and one modeler's scratch-built installation. I can get a pretty good idea of shapes and dimensions from the info that I've found, but would prefer an accurate line drawing to work from. I was leaning towards doing PT-157, but now I'm thinking that one of it's radar equipped brethren might make a more visually interesting subject. Any help would be appreciated. Al

_GOTOTOP