Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
H.M.S Hood 1/350
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hello this is a pround moment, after a long time i restarted my H.M.S Hood project.
Shortly after my last post the build has stalled for some reasons and it went back on the bench the last weekend, along with Revell Bismarck and Tirpitz both in 1/350 scale( photos of these projects at some time )
Getting back to Hood means continue the detailing. The pictures show the build of the main mast plattform, it was completely replaced with brass from the Eduard set.
There was also progress on Hoods cranes but i will repeat the photos with better light.

So much for now
Cheers
Bernd
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 03:38 PM UTC
So good to see you back working on the Hood again, Bernd!

Great work on the masts so far
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:24 AM UTC
Bernd,

great to see you're back working on your Hood. Looks good!! Looking forward to see more!!

Cheers,

Jan
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments, mates.

Some more work done, details on the ships cranes and more detail and paint work.
Some of the superstructure and small parts have now the ships color on and need now some detail painting.

Note the "storm damage" on these fragile pe parts, my airbrush caused this

The boat cranes, they will placed next to the funnels

More soon
Bernd
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:21 PM UTC
Some fine work progressing on your Hood Bernd!!
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some fine work progressing on your Hood Bernd!!

Thanks a lot, Todd, i thinking about to apply a slight dark wash to all the details and parts to bring out the details, they look a bit plain.
More soon
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:42 AM UTC
Very nice work! Very nice attention to detail, it's great to seeing her grow!

Looking forward to see more!

Cheers,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:58 AM UTC
Looking good Bernd,

Very nice etch work on the starfish.

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi Bernd,
Agree with all these comments. I have just bought this kit so I am watching to see how it progresses.

cheers
michael
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:08 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words, mates. Its a great boost for the motivation.
Michael: Have fun with it, its a very nice kit but needs some improvements, like almost all kits.

Here some progress. While adding details my Hood still looked very plain in her blue gray color, so i decided to giver her a black wash with acrylic color and a drybrushing with lighter shades of the base color. Worked quite good but revealed also some previous "sins"

Here is the mainmast with crane for the boats, i used the kits pe parts for the crane and the mechanic.

The funnel after painting and a subtle drybrushing/wash

The mainmast in place ( dry fitted )Ready to accept further detailing. The ammunition lockers have more visible details, as well deck hatches and louvers.

More washings, working with all these fragile pe parts are difficult

More details with funnels, cranes and more superstructure dry fitted on, the boat deck gets a more crowded look.

More soon !

Bernd
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi Bernd,

really nice progress!! Decks look really busy now, and your wash is doing a fine job adding some 'live' to your Hood!

Very nice work!! Looking forward to your progress!

Cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 03:42 PM UTC
Lovely work Bernd
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:55 PM UTC
Cheers mates and thank you for the kind comments
More progress. i made a start on the rather large bridge compartment with all these platforms and the massive tripod with the starfish on top of it.
Trumpeter seems to made mistakes here and i followed here. Comparing my efforts with pictures, i made some changes and added also some details on the rear part of the structure. Still wrong and still damaged, while i managed to glue a plattform reversed on. It took some time to fix that, using "sprues" from the Eduard etch set.

Not perfect but better, it needs more details.

And the gun turrets have paint on, i made the decision to mask the turned brass barrels, Hoods main guns were all over painted in spring 1941 but the muzzles were most of her service live bare. Some artistic lisence. The spraying revealed also the beautiful details.

Today, the gun turrets will get a dark wash and some dry brushing and gun director platform still looks ugly.
More soon
Bernd
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC
More fun with big Battlecruisers
Got a wash on the turrets and a decent drybrushing done, making the details popping more out

Also work on the spotter platform, all the gaps/windows in the plastic part were filled and sanded. After this the Eduard "windows" were applied, along with the railings behind the radar/rangefinder. This is not really a success because i messed the handrails and the radar up. Eduards windows are probably too big.
Re bending the fragile parts will hopefully help

And some more details on Hoods boat deck.

A hit and miss thing today, more soon.

Cheers
Bernd
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:21 PM UTC
Bernd,

Amazing work on your HMS Hood. I think the idea of masking the business end of the main barrels is a good touch. Really makes them pop.

I myself have become less a fan of Eduard Ship PE sets after using their Musashi set. It was missing too many critical components and the parts for the port side were bigger than the parts for the starboard side. It was pretty frustrating. Anyway, they do have some nice sets but...

The weathering and drybrushing look really good. I still need to work on the drybrushing skill myself, cant seem to remove enough paint from the brush before application...

looking forward to seeing more soon.

Dave
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hello Dave, thanks for commenting. The Eduard set was the choice because of the price and it won t used completely. On the other hand i need somethig for the louvers over the hawse pipes and the look of the observation platform is not really better after using pe.
Its also good to know about the Musashi set, the kit is in my stash for a while.
Got the Eduard set for my Tamiya Missouri, hope its more better/complete.
Guess its best to look for something different or using more than one detail set but this is up to the modeller how much money he will invest in a hobby.
For my Warspite i think about the Mk I Design / KA models set with everything including.
Drybrushing is simply about routine, i am not an expert on this but may you have a "test bed" in your collection.
I don t weather my builds very much but this overall blue gray AP 507 B paint became look boring.
More soon

Bernd
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC
Wonderful work.
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:55 AM UTC
Thank you very much, Grant
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:17 PM UTC
Looking very nice indeed. I enjoyed my Build of her some time ago and am liking what you are doing.....Cheers mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Dave, thanks for commenting. The Eduard set was the choice because of the price and it won t used completely. On the other hand i need somethig for the louvers over the hawse pipes and the look of the observation platform is not really better after using pe.
Its also good to know about the Musashi set, the kit is in my stash for a while.
Got the Eduard set for my Tamiya Missouri, hope its more better/complete.
Guess its best to look for something different or using more than one detail set but this is up to the modeller how much money he will invest in a hobby.
For my Warspite i think about the Mk I Design / KA models set with everything including.
Drybrushing is simply about routine, i am not an expert on this but may you have a "test bed" in your collection.
I don t weather my builds very much but this overall blue gray AP 507 B paint became look boring.
More soon

Bernd

Quoted Text

Bernd,

Amazing work on your HMS Hood. I think the idea of masking the business end of the main barrels is a good touch. Really makes them pop.

I myself have become less a fan of Eduard Ship PE sets after using their Musashi set. It was missing too many critical components and the parts for the port side were bigger than the parts for the starboard side. It was pretty frustrating. Anyway, they do have some nice sets but...

The weathering and drybrushing look really good. I still need to work on the drybrushing skill myself, cant seem to remove enough paint from the brush before application...

looking forward to seeing more soon.

Dave

Great work Bernd!

guys, I too have noticed that with big ship kits several different brands of AM are required to get the level of detail desired. With my KGV build I have both the WEM PE, the Eduard PE, Master barrels sets, Shinsegumi deck, and when all is said and done, it's cost me around $500AUD! pretty hefty when you consider that the Pontos set is around $150Aud, which could have saved me a pretty penny, but as it was, the Pontos set wasn't available at the time...

Looking back i'd go the Pontos set given its comprehensiveness. I've even had to add the Catapult from Pontos to the KGV, which Joseph kindly gave me because he wasn't going to use it.

Having said that, I think the newer sets from WEM and Eduard are much more comprehensive given the new competition from Pontos and fly hawk et al, however, that still doesn't get us a wood deck or brass barrels...

I guess the best part is there's so much choice for us these days, we can literally go to town super detailing these kits... and a little potty at the same time
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:55 PM UTC
Thanks for commenting, Russel and the amount of details can be seen on your King !
Guess before i purchase much more expensive detail sets i need some more practise.
Progress for today:
Detailing the funnels or better adding the reinforce wires with stretched sprues, went quite well, hope they will long last.

They need some paint and i added also some of the Carley floars.

Have a great time
Bernd
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:29 PM UTC
Bernd,

Great job on the wires, really adds to the detail of your HMS Hood.

I have never been able to obtain such a consistency with stretching sprue like you have.

looking forward to more progress soon.

Dave
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thank you Dave, that step went really well, i have used super glue and removed the surplus material after drying with a razor blade.
For the main rigging i will go with Ez Line and i have also ordered me a "Rig that Thing" roll from Uschi.

More soon, i will use the coming weekend for more modelling on Hood and the coming project that will hit this place very soon.

Bernd
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 02:44 AM UTC
...more soon..that was last year !
Some more progress but not much made in the last weeks.
The only additions were some pe parts and a large RAF roundel on turret A. More some sort of artistic license but i like the look of it. Hood may carried something like that for a time.

Here the pics:

in place

well...

Here is also a compare picture, the kit turrets vs. WEM

Best Regards
Bernd
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi Bernd!

Slowly but steady - I know the principle!!

Your progress looks pretty good, and your Hood is really coming together!! And personally, I do like some creativity and personal touch. Almost all of my models have details that may or may not have been there, but they seemed reasonable and looked good, so I fitted them!

Looking forward to see your Hood grow!!

Cheers,
Jan