Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
SMS Falke (k.u.k.) - 1/72 by Wiener Modellbau
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:10 AM UTC
Michael,

that's again very nice work, and it is such a contrast to your BISMARCK build!!! You have two stunning subjects going on here!!

Cheers,

Jan
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
Model Shipwrights: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

All the round portholes at the captain's bridge are drilled open, also the portholes in the hull and on the main deck. The portholes at the bridge received etched frames already, the ones at the hull and on the deck will receive some frames later. These frames are not included with the kit, I ordered some in the correct diameter online All the portholes will receive "glass" made of Krystal Klear later and the frames will be painted in brass color.
On top of the bridge I also added the metal parts and made the ring with wire. Next the ship received its name... it is called "FALKE" ... I decided this name as I like it more then "Adler" That's the only reason

PAINTING
The painting I started with a layer of primer on everything. I used Black Primer from Valleyo which is giving a smooth surface. Also it is very resistant against damages and during the weathering.... And the black is a kind of first shadow

The next step will be masking, then a first thin layer of red at the under water part of the hull... then further shadows... then red again... later washes ....

Cheers
Micha
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 06:32 AM UTC
Some fine detailing Micha! She looks lovely under a little color!! Keep up the great work!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 12:19 PM UTC
She is really looking great.....Cheers mark
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

The nest step starts with the painting of the under water area of the hull.. first a red layer on everything. Used a red and red bwown color, mixed together.... Next step, some shadows with black color to accent the edges of each steel plate of the hull..... Next step, one further layer of red color, the black shadows shining through it .....

Next step... painting of the thin line between red and black color... used the same red, mixed it with a little bit of beige and white.... then masking and painting.....

Next steps... masking and painting the black color on the side of the hull... the red stripe will remain only a very thin stripe ...then furhter parts on top of the hull...

Cheers
Micha
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 01:35 PM UTC
The Colour Contrast looks fantastic.....Cheers Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:47 AM UTC
Looking great Michael,

The pre shading on the lower hull is excellent.

cheers.

Si
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:43 PM UTC
Thank you very much .... next step is painting of the lower part of the black hull.... then adding the details on top as well as the handrails....
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 12:29 AM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

Next step... black painting of the hull... I have only painted the sides so far.... on top it is still the valleyo primer. The black is a mixture of tireblack, white and rust... The rest will be painted later once further parts are added (such as railing, portholes, anchors, ....). The weahtering also follows later ....

What do you think about these brass port holes? They aren't glued yet as i am not 100% shure yet.... still thinking about it..... I think it is a bit too voluminous... therefore I have ordered some etched alternatives.... I think I will get these tomorroe or Thursday.....

Cheers
Micha
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 03:36 PM UTC
Wow, what a cool and "steam-punky" vessel. It makes me think of Cpt. Nemo's "Nautilus". I'll follow this one for sure.
Jacob
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 10:41 PM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

The new frames for the portholes.... the final ones... I like it.... etched parts ..... already glued on the ship. After black painting all these portholes (and the ones on the captains bridge) get a brass paint color and some washings ..... then some glass.....

The railings.... the struts are made of turned brass (included in the kit), the handrail is made of copper and brass wire.... cut in the correct length.... and soldered to the sturts.....still lot of work with the next ones.... just made the beginning ..... later, also painted in black ...

Next... next part of the handrail....

Cheers
Micha
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:09 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

This is looking fantastic thus far.

I cant wait to see the final finished product.

Well done keep up the great work.

I love the porthole effect.

Cheers

Sean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 12:01 AM UTC
Facinating build Michael,

Great job

Si
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 01:46 PM UTC
Thank you very much ....

Right now I am cleaning the soldering of the railings... and started the rear railings .... what a fu**ing work ... I hate soldering

Cheers
Michael
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 04:29 PM UTC
Just simply wonderful. I think the P/E Portholes look far better than your original option.....Cheers mark
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 12:29 AM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

Some more railings ..... and some first cleaning at the railings at the bow ....

Next step.... railings at the wooden plattforms at the center of the ship... and more cleaning and soldering

Cheers
Micha
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:42 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

Great work this just gets better & better.

What a truly nice build.

Cheers

Sean
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:20 PM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

The handrail is finished.... the anchors are glued in place. The anchor chain is following later. Also the masts for the flags are arred (turned brass parts)....

Next step, painting of the upper part of the ship in the same mix of tire black, white and brown..... Also the inside of the fans are airbrushed in red, the position lamps in green and red ......

With AK-Interactive's brass color the frames of the portholes, the name plate was painted with a fine brush.....

Next step.... painting of the wooden plattform in oil colors brown .... life rings in red..... then clear coat (matt) on everything .... then weathering ...

Cheers
Micha
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC
Great job Micha, your Falke looks outstanding!!! I just wonder about the maneuverability of the real thing - one rudder in fron, one aft but in front of the screw...and you don't want to run aground, it will ruin the screw immediately... But the boat looks great and special for sure!!

Are you still considering to shine (or paint brass) the ornament on the bow??

Cheers,

Jan
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Jan,
not shure... maybe also brass, or only with metal shine .... I am not shure yet if the original one was brass color on the bow.... Let's see.....
Cheers
Michael
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:48 PM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

The black surface received some washings next. First is a dark brown wash (oil colors) over everything. Followes by a pin-wash with dark brown oil colors around all details. Lastly a dark grey wash finished this step. In the following I tried to make the "metal" surface. Therefore I added some silver and gun metal pigments, some silver dry brushing on everything ....... the surface is mostly finished now.

Also the portholes received the "glasses" with mikro crystal klear which is not fully dry... that's the white inside the portholes

Cheers
Michael
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 04:16 PM UTC
That is really some wonderful work you have done on her.....Cheers mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2015 - 02:04 PM UTC
Stunning work Michael.

That model is above museum standard.

A great build log too.

Cheers.

Si
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

This is awesome.

I have loved watching this build.

Superb effort indeed.

Cheers

Sean
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 06:48 PM UTC
*** UPDATE ***

The masts are included with the kit, made of real wood. I have washed these with dark brown oil colors and glued them in their places. The pulleys were made of etched parts which I still had from another kit (tank parts!). Then these were also painted and "metalised".

The life rings were painted in red, the decals with the ship*s name added, clear coat on it and glued at the railings. Later I will add some rope which holds the rings in place.

The anchors were weatherd and the anchor chain added. The chain is not included with the kit, I used a brass one which I have burnished and fixed through rings, made of wire, to the anchors. I will not paint the chain as I like its look.

On real picturs of the ship I could see a rod, which seems to be 2-colors. I think white/red is realistic... I added some metal at the end, a hook at one end.... and added the rod to the railings. The holdes of the rod are made out of etched parts which I had as rest from an other kit ..

CHEERS
Micha