Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
IJN Kirishima 1942 1/350
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frederick, Thank you.

Russell,

I been promising pictures all week and I will get them out. Life has been getting in the way all week slowing down work on her. Thanks on the feedback on the searchlights. I hand brush a coat of Future on them last night and I think it streak the paint. I am not happy with how this Mission Model paint is setting. If I don't get clear coat on this paint right away I could rub the paint off and now the paint is streaking. I let the paint cure for two days before adding the future.

Will see how they look when I get home from work tonight and then decide to install them or repaint.

Mark

Hi Mark

Oh man, if the paint's causing you issues, ditch the brand straight away and chose another. On a complicated build like this with challenges in fit etc, the last thing you need is paint trouble.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 02:03 PM UTC
Russell,

I would like to change paints but I don't think I could match the color at this late stage. If I have the same problem on one of their armor colors I will be trashing them.

Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 02:43 PM UTC
Well I been promising some new photos and here they are.

Here is starboard shot looking towards the stern. Much on the hardware (hatches, vents, locker, winches) have been installed. This ship has a lot of mushroom vents. It took hours to get them all installed.

Here is a close up of the tower. If you look closely at the rear searchlight you can see where the paint came off while brushing on the future clear coat. This is the first time I had to put on clear coat, as this Mission Model paint would wear off just handling the part. I never had that happen using an enamel paint.

Here is a portside shot showing one of the upgrade winches in place and 3D mushroom vents from Shapeways I purchase. I don't know why I purchased them, the ones that came with the kit are just as good.

In earlier posts I mention how I was breaking the resin pieces for 12.7cm kit from Alliance. I ended up using their brass barrels and carving out the vision slots and support beam on the kit parts. They not perfect but I believe once they are painted and weather they will be alright.

I also was having a hard time with the 25mm guns from alliance. Looking at the kit barrels and housing they looked as good as the upgrade. So I took what hardware would fit from the upgrade kit and added them to the kit 25mm.

I removed the stick that hanging down from the boat davit in the kit and added the boat pulley from Gold Metal Model PE set I purchased. I think it will work.

A couple of PE aircraft dollies.

Here are a few other photos.

The 155mm casemate guns I am not very happy with. The way they fit into their slots only allows them to be pointed outward. If I try to turn them inward as the would be in dock or cruising they push themselves out of the slot. I am not sure on how to correct it so they will stay in place when turned inward.

Here is a close up of the searchlights after the clear coat has dried.

In a previous post about using tissue paper to simulate the canvas on railings everyone suggested using white glue. I said I would give it a try and post a photo of the results. I did take the photo. Can you tell which one is the tissue or the glue.

I ended up using the white glue method on a railing on the portside right all most at the top of the superstructure. Once I put a coat of paint on it you couldn't tell it from the tissue. White glue will be my perferred method in the future.

And to make sure non of you were thinking what was I goofing off while waiting for paint and glue to dry and cure, I been working on this.

Lord Nelson from HobbyBoss. Been using Model Master Enamel paints which I just love. They don't give me near the headache as Vallejo does during the hot summers of San Antonio.

Finished the big guns but dummy me, forgot to put them on before taking the photos.

Sorry for the long post but I did have something to show. Until the next post.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 10:58 PM UTC
Mark, brilliant update!

Lots of progress to show and it seems a lot of the issues you've struck so far you've overcome. The railings look great with just the white glue. The casemate guns I reckon look fine being trained outwards and give a point of interest.

Now I see the search lights, they look good. What you could try in future, is to paint the rear of the lenses silver to give it a reflective appearance, before gluing them in.

Model master is a great paint, and definitely preferable to the one that rubs off.

Great work on the Lord Nelson. Can you start a separate blog for her please? I'll admit it, I've got an ulterior motive: I've got that kit in the stash, so would love to see how you build her up.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 12:45 AM UTC
Russell,

Thank you for the feedback.

I normally do paint the searchlights with crystal white paint before putting on the lens but these searchlight came as one clear part. I masked off the lens before painting to keep them clear. The small searchlights to have a coating of the crystal white but it seems to have dried clear. I can't even tell I put it on the lens.

I will start a blog on the Lord Nelson when I pick it back up. The fit on this kit has been the best I experience so far. The only hard part was getting the two 88mm guns facing the bow in place and haveing to slip the superstructure over them. Oh ya, aligning up the support posts with their slots on the main deck was a challenge. Had to move slowly in fear I would break an inner post which would have been a real pain to repair.

Thanks again for looking in.

Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 04:27 PM UTC
Mark those canvas railings came out great. Really nice touch. The glue method looks as good as the paper you did first. Is it easier?
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not happy with how this Mission Model paint is setting. If I don't get clear coat on this paint right away I could rub the paint off and now the paint is streaking.

When Mission Models works it works great but I have found it to be hit and miss. The one thing I did discover is the thinner/paint mix ratios and PSI listed on the their website just doesn't work for me. I spray it thinner and at a higher PSI and for the most part it works well.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark those canvas railings came out great. Really nice touch. The glue method looks as good as the paper you did first. Is it easier?

Ned,

The glue method was easier where several of the paper pieces ripped during installation. Both look nice after painting.

Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am not happy with how this Mission Model paint is setting. If I don't get clear coat on this paint right away I could rub the paint off and now the paint is streaking.

When Mission Models works it works great but I have found it to be hit and miss. The one thing I did discover is the thinner/paint mix ratios and PSI listed on the their website just doesn't work for me. I spray it thinner and at a higher PSI and for the most part it works well.

Rory,

I am sure I still need to figure this paint out. Just hated doing all the rework.

Mark
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2019 - 03:31 AM UTC
Mark: I have noticed the same thing about Vallejo paints in hot weather. Not as hot here in Colorado as in SA, but we do have our moments.

What model master colors are you using on Lord Nelson for the hull? What ever they are look very good.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2019 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark: I have noticed the same thing about Vallejo paints in hot weather. Not as hot here in Colorado as in SA, but we do have our moments.

What model master colors are you using on Lord Nelson for the hull? What ever they are look very good.

Chuck,

I used Model Master Hull Red #2165, Model Master Flat Black for the boot top, and RAF Dark Grey #2059 for the hull and superstructure.

Spaying them with Future Floor Polish darken the paints even more.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 10:14 PM UTC
Your Lord Nelson is looking great Mark,

Nice work on the Kirishima too. Glad the white glue method is working for you.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your Lord Nelson is looking great Mark,

Nice work on the Kirishima too. Glad the white glue method is working for you.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si. Not much progress these last two weeks due to work on either ship. Plan to make up for this next week. Thanks for looking in.

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 12:41 AM UTC
Mark,

just catching up after a long silence - great work, she looks fine. Looks like you're approaching the finish line!

Cheers
Jan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 03:04 PM UTC
Man I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post. Seems I spent a lot of hours with little progress to show for it. Anyhow here is the latest photos and progress report.

Here is a portside stern to bow shot. I installed all of the weapons, main mast. I had to built the antenna cable supports for the bow and stern turrets. The kit didn't come with any and the P.E. from White Ensign was so flimsy it would distort even with the use of a PE bender.

Used the PE from GMM for the catapult and aircraft crane.

Starboard photo.

Couple of top down shots.

I haven't done any weathering yet so the detail is looking flat. My goal is to finish all of the little things and then start on weathering and then finish up with the railings. Until the next post.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 09:58 PM UTC
Great to see some progress Mark,

The etch on the crane and the cat look excellent.

Cheers

Si
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 03:33 AM UTC
Mark - Your Kongo is looking good. Can't wait to see what the future version looks like when your done with the details.

Dave
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 09:50 AM UTC
Si, David

Thank you for looking in.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 06:05 PM UTC
Rapidly coming together in a good way Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 07:27 AM UTC
Mark,

what Russ says! She looks really fine, great work!

Cheers
Jan
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Man I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post. Seems I spent a lot of hours with little progress to show for it.

Mark, I feel your pain. Been working on my Iwo Jima for weeks and all I have to show for it is railings, railings, more railings and life boats
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 04:11 PM UTC
Impressive work so far my Friend. Looking forward to seeing her completion.....Cheers mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive work so far my Friend. Looking forward to seeing her completion.....Cheers mark

Mark, thank you for looking in.

Mark
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 01:03 PM UTC
One of my favorite ships and you're building her beautifully.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of my favorite ships and you're building her beautifully.

Thank you for looking in. Right after the last posting I burned my left hand and wrist petty good and didn't get the use of it until the middle of March. All that is left is the rigging and railings on the main deck but I been focus on the entry for the national IPMS show this summer in Texas. The location is only about 20 miles from my house. I am under the gun to get her ready as I didn't get started on the build until the middle of March. As soon as I feel caught up I will get started back on her.

I forgot, my build for the National IPMS show is going to be the USS Langley. This is going to be a OOB build, no upgrades except I will use some acetate sheets to simulate windows in the hanger deck.

Again, thanks for looking in.

Mark