Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
USS Ranger CV4, Norway 1943 - 1/350
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Pity they will be up.

More soon.

Cheers

Si

Come on Si, you know you want to leave one down, so we can see all that lovely interior detail...

Yeeeeess, show us the pretties...
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC
Leaving one up might be nice for us to be able to peer inside the flight deck of Simon's outstanding model, but it would not be so nice for the sailors on that deck off Norway in October.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Pity they will be up.

More soon.

Cheers

Si

Come on Si, you know you want to leave one down, so we can see all that lovely interior detail...

Yeeeeess, show us the pretties...

Hi Russ, Mark & Rory.

well, the plan is to have the first strike of Operation Leader spotted on deck ready for launch, and the funnels in the lowered position. From what I have read the funnels were lowered just before the strike was launched.

A thought has occurred, perhaps either a dauntless on the lowered midhips elevator, the last one to come up, or a Wildcat on the aft elevator in the same position.

Will think on that.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Leaving one up might be nice for us to be able to peer inside the flight deck of Simon's outstanding model, but it would not be so nice for the sailors on that deck off Norway in October.

Likely not Chuck, the shutters being wouldn't be fun either.

Going back to the topic of "RNGR" on the stern, found a photograph on Navsource dated August '42, looks to be in Haze grey or a similar colour, certainly before Leader as the ship still had quad 1.1". I reckon I might have some RAF code letters in medium see grey about the right size that will be close enough.

Cheers

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
Keep in mind Simon, I can't verify she carried RNGR at Norway, but I also cannot eliminate the possibility either, not with the evidence in general circulation.

There is a book out on Ranger that I have seen, but do not own, From what I have heard it is a comprehensive history of the ship with quite a few photos. Might be worth checking into at your local library. It is titled "USS Ranger, The Navy's First Flattop From Keel To Mast 1934-1946" The authors name is Roger Cressman.

UPDATE: Ran across a picture of Ranger this morning (Saturday) dated 3 January 1943 (the day before I was born) that has no RNGR markings on the flight deck. There are the normal dashed lines running fore and aft on the flight deck, but they are so faded (worn) that they are almost impossible to see, and I cannot tell what color was used for them. My guess would be a darker blue or black to contrast with the flight deck stain.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Keep in mind Simon, I can't verify she carried RNGR at Norway, but I also cannot eliminate the possibility either, not with the evidence in general circulation.

There is a book out on Ranger that I have seen, but do not own, From what I have heard it is a comprehensive history of the ship with quite a few photos. Might be worth checking into at your local library. It is titled "USS Ranger, The Navy's First Flattop From Keel To Mast 1934-1946" The authors name is Roger Cressman.

UPDATE: Ran across a picture of Ranger this morning (Saturday) dated 3 January 1943 (the day before I was born) that has no RNGR markings on the flight deck. There are the normal dashed lines running fore and aft on the flight deck, but they are so faded (worn) that they are almost impossible to see, and I cannot tell what color was used for them. My guess would be a darker blue or black to contrast with the flight deck stain.

Hi Chuck,

Appreciate the info Mate, I wasn't intending to put you under pressure, just sharing something that I had found. My apologies if I came over a bit "know all", research on a less well known vessel is always tricky.

Will have a look for that book, at the very least it will be an interesting read.

Always appreciate you looking in.

Cheers

Si

Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 04:10 PM UTC
No pressure at all Simon. I am as interested in this build as you are. Ranger is one of my favorites, next to Lexington (CV2) of course.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No pressure at all Simon. I am as interested in this build as you are. Ranger is one of my favorites, next to Lexington (CV2) of course.

Thanks you Chuck,

Glad to have you aboard.

No progress this weekend, limited time at the work table, decided rather than shift everything downstairs, concentrate on the build closest to finishing. - Mikasa.

Hope to get more time next weekend.

Cheers

Si
PlasticTragic
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 12:35 PM UTC
Si,

Slightly off topic but I was just wondering if you've had the chance to eyeball the new USS Langley CV-1 by Trumpeter yet?

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Slightly off topic but I was just wondering if you've had the chance to eyeball the new USS Langley CV-1 by Trumpeter yet?

Hi Andrew,

I haven't yet seen it in the plastic, but there is a review of the kit and the Trumpeter upgrade seton the new contents page on this site.

Most of it looks pretty good, personally I'm not fond the solid plastic girder structure. I get why Trumpeter have done this as fragile, tricky to fold etched structures aren't for everybody.

The Trumpeter upgrade looks rather good but I will be waiting to see what other aftermarket comes out before I invest.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 07:34 AM UTC
A little progress over the weekend.

I have decided to be a bit liberal with the configuration, the forward and after lifts will be down, I wildcat should fit on the after lift and a dauntless forward. the last aircraft coming up for the first strike.

The lifts painted, and their decaled.

The decals were "fun", slightly oversized, which meant they needed cutting in eight places to get any sort of a fit.

Not perfect, but they will be hidden under aircraft.

Fitted down.

The internal structure sprayed white, and the crane track picked out in steel and given an oily wash.

fitted in place.

The view of the structure.

Next, on with the external details.

Cheers

Si

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2020 - 08:28 AM UTC
Great to see we're going to be able to view some of that lovely internal detail Si!

The decals came out nicely even though frustratingly oversize...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 12:31 AM UTC
Si,

Nice progress. There is some very nice detail that came with this kit.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great to see we're going to be able to view some of that lovely internal detail Si!

The decals came out nicely even though frustratingly oversize...

Thanks Russ,

They did cause a bit of getting them on. The decal for centre elevator will be less trouble as it is fixed up.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Nice progress. There is some very nice detail that came with this kit.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It is nice to have a decent bit of detail inside the hanger in the kit, and rather well moulded.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 08:26 AM UTC
Little bit of progress

The parts layout for the three aircraft types.

from left to right, Dauntless, Wildcat, Avenger.

One wildcat and one dauntless built.

test fitted on their elevators.

and with the flight deck on.

More soon.

Cheers

Si
Removed by original poster on 03/06/20 - 20:33:28 (GMT).
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 01:16 AM UTC
Si,

Looks like a good fit on those aircraft parts. Do they look accurate? I can't really tell.

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 02:34 AM UTC
Si,

very nice work and good and solid progress - she's looking pretty cool already. First airing test-embarked, very nice! Great job as always on Si´s shipyards!

Cheers
Jan
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 03:04 AM UTC
Si - great work. Really like being able to see the girders even with the flight deck added. Nice start on the wirwing!

Dave
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 09:46 PM UTC
Are those aircraft parts made in 3 different types of plastic in a triple shot molding? If so, that's impressive!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Looks like a good fit on those aircraft parts. Do they look accurate? I can't really tell.

Mark

Hi mark,

They looks pretty good Mark, they do fit together nicely, the only minor issue is the black plastic parts for the undercarriage and the prop don't seem to like any glue that much.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

very nice work and good and solid progress - she's looking pretty cool already. First airing test-embarked, very nice! Great job as always on Si´s shipyards!

Cheers
Jan

Thanks Jan,

She is an interesting, and unique ship, and sadly mainly forgotten. The aircraft are nice little kits. The Hanger will be busy with a few Dauntles's in reserve and the Wildcats and Avengers of the second wave.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si - great work. Really like being able to see the girders even with the flight deck added. Nice start on the wirwing!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It is, and kudos to Trumpeter for providing a simple but well detailed hanger, certainly enough for what will be visible.

I do like the aircraft not moulded in clear plastic, although the black parts are a bit tricky to handle.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are those aircraft parts made in 3 different types of plastic in a triple shot molding? If so, that's impressive!

The are Russ,

Nice little kits, painting will be fun to bring out the subtle details.

Cheers

Si