_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
My First Wooden Ship Kit
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC
I am now 61 years old. My father bought me 3 plastic model ship kits when I was all of 9 years old and I have been building only plastic models since then. I still have all three. Mostly out of the box. Besides ships I have done planes and armor mostly from the second world war. I have also built a lot of civilian cars, show cars, and trucks.
This model a wooden ship kit was a present from my youngest daughter and her boyfriend a few years ago.
The model is a clipper ship called Liberty. It is a 1:100 scale kit from Artesania Latina. it is suppose to be an easy mode to build. The instruction sheet is in 4 different languages and is seperated. As the pictures, parts lists and instructions are in three different sections of the instructions. The instructions are very vague. I'm having a great deal of trouble trying to plank the hull which is not wood but a composite? The planks are extremely thin.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 09:22 PM UTC
Ahoy, Leonrd!
You may not be aware of it, mate, but here at Kitmaker network, we have a gathering place for us shipbuilders, known as Model Shipwrights Scale Modeling Magazine, and I do believe that you'll have more luck in this area with your recent build, my friend...

I'm aware of the kit that you are building, and a fine kit it is, indeed...Artesiana Latina is one of the finest makers of wooden ship kits, and this kit is a skill level 3, for intermediate wooden boat modelers, which, if you have no prior experience, may hold some challenges, but what better way to learn?

The hull of this ship, as you have discovered, is titled artwood by the manufacturer, is a material made out of wood particles and fibers, mixed with adhesive resins, then molded into shape. You really should use a contact adhesive when working with the artwood, which means that placement of the parts must be exact because of the adhesive qualities...

Take your time with this build mate, think about what you are doing before you do it, and you will succeed with a fine looking specimen when finished! Come on over to MSW, and post up some progress pictures of the build, share it with the other salty dogs of the KitMaker network!
Cheers,
~Gunny
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 05:00 AM UTC
Gunny

As you know I am in contact with Redshirt. he suggested I put it here. Is there any
way for any of the staff to move this post. Again as you have noticed i did post a question about this model on that site. Could you please give me a name of a contact cement? I dont know where you are, what state? I'm on Long Island in New York State. Thanks

Leonrd

ps i'll try to make that picture smaller but dont know how. can not deldet just the picture.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
Sorry for the bad steer there Leonrd.

I just now noticed that only the top section of the forums page is shipwrights.

I use DAP weldwood gel contact cement that I bought at home depot. I think you will want something thinner though. DAP has several types.

Looks like Gunny had some successful research on “art wood”
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:53 PM UTC
thanks for the info red shirt. no problem for the wrong direction maybe they can move it.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny

As you know I am in contact with Redshirt. he suggested I put it here. Is there any
way for any of the staff to move this post. Again as you have noticed i did post a question about this model on that site. Could you please give me a name of a contact cement? I dont know where you are, what state? I'm on Long Island in New York State. Thanks

Leonrd

ps i'll try to make that picture smaller but dont know how. can not deldet just the picture.

Ahoy, Leonard!

I'm in Pennsylvania, mate, Western Pennsylvania, not far from your neck of the woods!

I'll check to see if Scott will move this post into the proper forum at MSW, my friend...as far as a brand of contact cement, I have successfuly used different brands, all which are readily available here in the US...Elmers, Loc-tite, etc...most qualities are similar with contact style adhesives...
Cheers,
~Gunny
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 04:28 PM UTC
Thanks Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gunny

No problem, mate, you'll soon see that you're amongst a fine group of ol' salts, keep us updated on your build, please?!
Keep modeling!
~Gunny
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 03:21 AM UTC
OK guys here is where I am now. The planking on the hull has been completed. Gunny and Redshirt the contact cement finally worked real well. Although I had to wait a hole 15 min. before attaching, but it did the trick. The Planking was not all that hard with a good adhesive.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK guys here is where I am now. The planking on the hull has been completed. Gunny and Redshirt the contact cement finally worked real well. Although I had to wait a hole 15 min. before attaching, but it did the trick. The Planking was not all that hard with a good adhesive.

Thats Great News mate!
The job is not so much of a job with the right tools, eh?
I'm glad the planking is moving ahead at full steam now, (although the wait time for the adhesive is common, especially with a good contact cement)...keep us posted, and show us some pics when you have a chance.
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 04:45 AM UTC
Here we are again. The gun ports are framed and glued. The rub strikes are on and the hull has been lacquered.

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
That’s looking good Leonrd. What do you think of it, and wood ships so far?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here we are again. The gun ports are framed and glued. The rub strikes are on and the hull has been lacquered.

Ahoy, Leonard!

LOOKIN' GOOD, mate, thanks for the progress report...I was wondering how you were making out!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC
Very nice looking build there Leonrd. Keep up the great work.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC
it's starting to look like a wooden ship now.keep us posted
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC
Looking very much like a wood ship now
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
out side of the deck dilemma and glue problems there is a lot of waiting involved to make sure the glue is dried enough to continue. then there is the problem of the instructions being very vague. oh and the measurements being in mil meters. even though as redshirt has mentioned all in all its not to bad. now thats it really is starting to look like a ship, i'm pretty happy with it. thanks for all the encouragement. leon
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC
Looking good so far Leon.
And welcome aboard.
Hope you are enjoying the art of ship building.
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
pin racks, channels, anchor & boat davits have been added. i have also been putting together the other deck features. the worst being the cannons. especially the wheels. i had to cut a 2mm piece off of a 4mm dowel then drill a 1.5mm hole for the brass axles. i more than likely cut a least 25 wheels to make 16. i am really not having fun building this ship. I will finish it though. the instructions are just horrible. pictures to come after all has been installed.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

pin racks, channels, anchor & boat davits have been added. i have also been putting together the other deck features. the worst being the cannons. especially the wheels. i had to cut a 2mm piece off of a 4mm dowel then drill a 1.5mm hole for the brass axles. i more than likely cut a least 25 wheels to make 16. i am really not having fun building this ship. I will finish it though. the instructions are just horrible. pictures to come after all has been installed.

Hi Leonard,
It's too bad that you are having such a bugger of a time with this ship, as it is to be a fun and relaxing escape away from all of the stress of life...keep up the diligence, though, and you shall prevail, I'm sure...and when it is complete, you can have a true feeling of accomplishment! Looking forward to seeing more photos!
Cheers,
~Gunny
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 09:23 PM UTC
It's just a learning experience, the next one will be easier.
Keep up the good work, we are all looking forward to seeing your model finished.
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:14 PM UTC
here are three new pics of the deck

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 04:43 PM UTC
It's looking good, you are moving right along.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
Nice work on your ship so far the details look good, it should look amazing with the masts in place, to bad the instructions are giving you a hard time. I have never built a ship by this company, but Ihave finished 2 others by Constucto, and am working on a third by Ocre, another Spanish company...both are easy to read. If you try another ship in wood, you may want to give them a try... good luck on your build..
Leonrd
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
OK guys I know it has been a while. I do have other things to do. Although I did not forget to keep building. I have finally finished the standing rigging. a couple of pictures follow. I'm glad you can not see it up close and personal. Oh I don't think it's quite that bad, but i don't think it's all that good either. But like I have been saying all along these instructions really stink! For the life of me I can not figure out how to make these photos smaller.

_GOTOTOP