_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
To rig or not to rig
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:27 PM UTC
I wondered what you all thought about if you should rig a model or not? Here is what I'm thinking. I've noticed on pictures of ships that unless the shot is very close aboard, where probably the entire ship isn't even in the shot, you can't see the rigging. Typically I doubt most people get closer than about two feet away to a ship model. That's about 700 scale feet at 1/350. I just wonder if you could see rigging from 700 feet away? Then there is the thing about the thickness of the medium to use for the rigging. What size cable is used to rig ships, say 1 or 2 inch? So in scale thickness that is either 1/350th of an inch, or 1/175th of an inch? Is that even possible to get something that thin?

Don't get me wrong, I love a nicely rigged ship model. I'm just wondering how truly realistic it is?

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 09:06 PM UTC
Good query Rodge, and some good points made, mate...I have built ships both ways, rigged to the hilt, and bare mast and yards. and IMHO, either one looks great to me...think it's really in what you the modeler like, and how far you really want to go with your techniques in the build, know what I mean?
Definitely increases the stress level (especially on the smaller builds!).

~Gunny
strokkur
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC
I think some of it comes down to real scale and perceived scale. Well rigged ships look good because the rigging looks 'right' even though it's not to scale. It's a similar question as to the scaling effects on paint shades, and scale effect of perspective.
I havent rigged any ships yet (used to do the wire antennae on planes) 'cos I'm ham-fisted and dont want to risk ruining the model.
Think it all comes down to which you feel comfortable with.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
I put just a little rigging in mine. Usually the center line bow to stern view. I would think especially on a BB that the diameter on that one would be 2 to 3 inches, but as we have all seen, especially in 350 scale how much it adds to the ship. I just use super thin streched sprue now for mine which means if I don't like it, I can easily remove it, and as I only do a lttlebit, I don't get too stressed doing it.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 - 03:34 PM UTC
I got some very thin (.004) thread for rigging the antennas on my 1/350 Missouri and although I was doing quite a bit of "second guessing" along the way ) I was very pleased with the results. But although the thread was dark, I DID have to go back and paint over it with black to make it show up better.

It is hard to see in photographs, but it really stands out looking at the model in person.

As big a pain as it was I don't thing the model would look right without it being rigged properly.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP