_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
conversions
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC

OK I want to convert the San Francisco into the Tuscaloosa. Of course the least amount of change is hoped for. Is there anything real major involving surgery to the superstructure or decking required? I can do some scratch work. I also would like to convert the Mass. into the Alabama, once again any major surgery required? Now I've heard there is an Alabama rolling out, but I don't want to wait several more years for it (still waiting on that late version Nimitz class that was talked about). Oh and for anyone who doesn't know me, I build exclusivly 350 scale plastic so buying the 700 version or a several hundred dollar resin is out of the question

OH yes and why the conversions...Well if a guy screaming ROLLLL TIDE !!!!!!!!!! most every Saturday during the fall doesn't give you a clue......
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC
The only thing I can think of right of the top of my head is to check the photos on NavSource.
They look pretty close to me.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC
Thanks Kenny, that was my first step. I got 3 responses on modelwarships. 1. buy the Alabama, 2. complaint about no RN stuff, and 3. go out and buy precison tools. Well maybe one of the experts will eventually pop in and give me something . But I agree, I think I might get by with no mods...especially on the Bama / Mass. I think one will be 43 and the other 45 version,

Just to drive wildspear nutso....there is more good 350 stuff coming down the pike my source says...OK I'll spill....he's the artist for Trumpeter and he is very tight mouthed other than very general comments. Jeff Herne used to be the man and other than the name of the ship he'ld give me a nation and a ship type. But I rarely hear anything from hi these days Let's just wait and see if Dragon enters the fray.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 05:33 AM UTC
Steve,
I can only find one pic in my references of Tuscaloosa dated March '42 and, unfortuneately the accompanying pic of San Francisco is undated.
however looking at the Trumpeter boxart in Gator's new release link the only major difference I can see is to the searchlight platform between the funnels. The top half on Tuscaloosa's below the actual platform is more open, just struts and bracing.
All the Best
Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
Thanks Tom:

That is kind of what I saw. There were a few differences before the war, but it looks like by '42 the ships had all been pretty much standardized. I'm all juiced up...the Takao, San Francisco and a SD class BB all coming out this year. Wow. Now maybe Dragon will enter the fray and drop something new and different on us as well.

AHHHHHH it is good to be a ship builder. All the Armor is getting is more and more Tigers and Shermans, I've built all the SHermans I care to and have 5 different Tigers in the stash, so who needs anymore of that stuff.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
I could be tempted to do another 1/350 ship. But I'm having trouble now finding time. I suppose it'd depend on the kit's subject but the right cruiser would definetly have some serious thought thrown at it.
Good luck with the conversion. If I come across anything else I think might help I'll give you a shout.
All the best.
Tom
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC
I do agree, it is a great time to be a ship modeler.
 _GOTOTOP