_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
BISMARCK KITS
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi There

Two questions if I may.
1.any comments (good bad or otherwise) regarding the AIRFIX BISMARCK Kit ??(Reviews would be good)
2.What is the best Kit of the Bismarck????

This a project for the future but collecting info now,I mainly do figures with the occasion armoured vehicle or aircraft.
I had a kit about 30 years ago and fell in love with her ( I think thats right) and feel the time is nearly right to reaquant myself with her..

Regards

Chis
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Ahoy, Chris, and Welcome to Model Shipwrights mate!
Love affair with the Bismarck, eh?
Well, mate, you've come to the right place, my friend...as far as the Airfix kit, sorry but we don't have a review on file for this one (although if someone would like to do one, ...), and opinions will vary widely on kit subjects (as always, with the human species!)...The subject has been covered well within the hobby, and I've heard some good remarks about Revell of Germany's new 1/350 scale Bismarck (new CAD designed), but I haven't a personal experience with this particular kit...
Really all depends on what you're looking for in the kit, level of accuracy, price, etc...Good luck with your search, and keep us posted!
Cheers,
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:32 PM UTC
The Airfix kit is pretty old. Thre are so many better ones out now that if you really want to build him (German ships are always masculine) you have many choices as to skills levels, price ranges, and of course scales. There have been some real fine 700 scale releases as of late...Trumpeter and Dragon both have put at least one out. In 350 Scale there are 3. The afore mentioned Revell of Germany one from Tamiya and one from Academy. I will attest to the Tamiya vesion being an oldie but goodie. Buy a good PE set or two and you'll have a show winner. The Revell kit hasn't been released yet, but it supposed to be flawless. Of course it will more than likely see the other side of $125. Oh, the Airfix is 400 scale and there is a Heller version also 400 scale, but I believe they are the same kit just in different boxes
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi Chris, as you mentioned Airfix do a 1/600 Bismarck but by todays standard it is showing its age.
With quite a bit of work you could get a pretty good looking ship out of this old kit, but IMO you would be better off looking at either the Dragon or Trumpeter kits in 1/700 unless you go bigger then everyone else has the 400 and 350 scales covered in their posts.

Ciao
Luciano
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, the Airfix is 400 scale and there is a Heller version also 400 scale, but I believe they are the same kit just in different boxes

To add to what Steve says there is also an Airfix 1/600 scale Bismarck that is, I believe, all Airfix and not a rebox. I can't speak for either of these kits but generally Heller kits seem to have a lack of locating pins, making them a bit harder to build. I've a couple of 1/600 Airfix kits and they really show their age. They can be made into good models, but they take work.

There is also a rebox versions of the Tamiya kit under the Mini-Hobby label. I have it and it's a good kit, except for the plastic, which is inconsistent, sometimes too hard, sometimes too soft.

You can find reviews of Bismarck kits at these two sites.

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/reviews.html
This site has you choose the scale you want to get reviews on.

http://www.steelnavy.com/ReviewsChapters.htm

One thing is for sure. If you want to build a Bismarck there is plenty of reference available, along with plenty of kits to choose from, and aftermarket items. Also most any model ship builder here has built at least one kit of the ship, and all can give you pointers.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hey all,

I'm going to start a campaign to do away with all mention of 1/700 scale. If you want a great Bismark you have to go with the 1/350 scale or larger, it will be a very impressive build.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
Not everyone is like me and you Frank. There are actually folks out there who like the smaller ships. I've got a bunch of 1200 stuff mainly because you can get a lot of Battleship types (like the Littorio ad Strasboourg) that you can't get in any of the regular scales (Don't consider 400 becasue there is no Japanese of American ships) 1200 is also net beacuse you can put a whle stack of them on just one shelf. You can kind of do the same for 700, so if space is an issue you have to go small. I don't think price so much because a good bargain hunter can pick up a Tamiya 350 BB for under 40 and the 700 scale stuff is hitting close to that range and the metal 1200 scale is around $25
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 09:03 AM UTC
Blaster,

LOL...I just like to give peeps a hard time... I like the larger scale because I don't have to squint as much.
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC
Thanks Guys
This gives me some food for thought.
I belive my LHS has the Dragon 1/700 @ $49.95 (NEW ZEALAND DOLLAR)
and the trumpeter 1/700 @( 25.90 NZD)

Will have to do more research

regards

Chris

GO TEAM NZ (AMERICAs CUP)
)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 07:14 AM UTC
Something is definitly wrong there. The Dragon and Trumpeter kits are very closely priced. Even the Dragon premium. Check out Lucky models or HObbyeasy. If you are not experienced doing tiny photo etch you may want to go with the Trumpeter kit. Sounds like a goof up on the price of the Dragon at your LHS
 _GOTOTOP