_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
break even
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
For years and years I have always bought far too many models. I have an immense stash....now there are others who go out and buy 4 or 5 of the same kit that kick my butt....but I am close to 100 kits in the stash (no repeats). (and I don't count figure and diorama kits). So , It is with pleasure that so far this year I am at break even. I have bought 6 and I just cracked open my #6 build. It looks like there are perhaps 4 or 5 more that I'll pick up. The Bama, San Francsco, Takao, T-62 and perhaps an old t-72. I think this may be the year I'll actually build more than I buy. I'm working on the 350 scale Aegis cruiser Ticonderoga. It looks like a ripper that I'll probably finish in two weeks. After that I'm looking at hitting the Fletcher . Then maybe that King Tiger Porshe version that I've been experimenting with the Zimmerit with.
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hey Steve,

I know what you mean I have a couple of kits, it just seems that there is no end to the amount of kits that one could do. Best of luck conquering your pile!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 01:22 AM UTC
Blaster,

That's crazy.... I have like 2 kits and a partial built kit in my stash. My wife would go balistic if I had that many sitting around not built.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife would go balistic if I had that many sitting around not built.

Hey Frank, that's why my stash is out of site in a room she doesn't go in frequently.

Outta sight, outta mind. Third rule of modelers.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC
My problem was when I was married was "Where's Mine?" The wife liked to build models too, actually completeing 3 while we were married. She wanted me to do things for her like the intricate painting and small parts assembly on some of the kits which interfered with me getting anything done on my stuff. One accumulates a stash by getting interested in a certain type of model like say exotic sports cars. Well you have 3 or 4 different Porsches and the same amount of Ferraris, then its 48th scale WW2fighters, so you gt a bunch of those, then drift into the bombers because of cool nose art then jets, then 35th armor and my god is there everyplace to go with that. Finally all the 350 scale ships and 72nd boats. See what I mean. You buy them on sale. Then the next thing you know you are working 12 hours a day 5 days a week and spending weekend taking care of chores or campouts with your Boy Scout troop and you don't do anything on a model for 3 months or so. That is how stashes get built up. Oh and then burnout where you just plain lose interest and just don't feel like working on anything for a while.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
I'm with you there Steve.
This is my stash in what would be the second bedroom (boxroom) built up in much the same way as you mentioned, change of interest, scale and/or topic plus those sale items that you know you will build some day and at that price its a bargine.

And the workbench.

Ciao
Luciano
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC
Luciano,

My friend now that is quite a stash. I would take a picture of my work area but I have a feeling it will pale in comparison too most people on our forum. There is hope though because I do like the hobby I will just have to work on my lovely wife and wear her down.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:44 PM UTC
Good for you Steve. My New Years resolution was to complete kits that I'd started and quit working on. So far, so good. I've finished about a dozen kits since the first of the year, without opening up a single new kit.

As far as the stash the one thing that keeps mine growing is great deals. We're lucky enough in the Springs to have two IPMS clubs. Each has at least one, sometimes two auctions every year. It's really hard to pass up a kit that might go on ebay for $25 when you can grab it at auction for $5 or so. The last auction we had I did manage to come out ahead of the game, sold six, picked up five, and actually made a little money on the deal.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 02:47 PM UTC
Dang Luciano,

I've seen hobby shops that don't have that much in stock!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
Mine would be just as bad, but I gave all my 700 scale ships away. I also managed to trade away a half dozen 48th scale aircraft kits for 35th Armor a few yars back. The Yukikaze came in today which was my break-even kit I bought. WIth the start of the Ticonderoga Aegis class the other day, I am puling ahead of purchases
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine would be just as bad, but I gave all my 700 scale ships away.

Oh my! What a shame I wasn't around.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC
If I remember, I had 2 different classes of Japanese carriers, a Rodney, Gneisenaeu, 3 Japanese cruisers and about 4 or 5 destoyers and 1 submarine kit. I was trying to get the miscreant I foster cared (a 15 year old) interested in something other than Pokemon cards....to no avail. He didn't take instruction well on modelbuilding and proceeded to rip through them as fast as he could. NOthing like buildig 3 700 scale ships in a day.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
I've looked over my stash (only about 30 or so) and decided that I STILL want to build ALL of what I've got. Eventually!

Knowing how much time I put in to over-detailing what I build, and figuring that with all the other interests that I have, building more than about 3 kits a year is about the limit of what I can complete. So I'm making a VERY concerted effort to NOT add anything else to the stash.

UNFORTUNATELY, I still REALLY want to do a late 30's Lexington/Saratoga, as well as a late war Essex (in 1/350 of course) and an early war Yorktown/Enterprise as well. (Yeah, like I've got the room for three more ships that size!!!)

So I guess I'm just going to have to live to at least 100

(Way I figure it, you can't go until you finish everything in your stash, and THAT'S breaking even!!!!!!)

Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 06:34 AM UTC
Tom:

LUcky you because they have 2 out of three of those kits avilable. The Yorktown/Enterprise will require either a tremedous amount of scratchbuilding or buying that expensive Nautilas conversion kit
 _GOTOTOP