_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Airbrushing Technique
ehill015
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 02:08 PM UTC
Ok so i'm new to airbrushing. can anyone give me a few tips on how to select the right airbrush, how to use it, keep it clean, etc.? i'm just really trying to learn how it's done so my models look good when i'm done.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hey guy.

For your first airbrush, go with something of good quality but reasonably priced. You can always get the "ultimate" airbrush as your skills improve.
Dixie Art
BearAir

As far as paint goes, you have the choice of acrylic or enamel.
If you go acrylic, Model Master has very good naval colors.
In enamel, White Ensign Models Colorcoat is the cat's meow. Awesome.

Cleanup with acrylic is cheap and easy ~ Windex shot through the brush when your done with the color. I get 1 qt bottles at the dollar tree.
With enamel, I use to shoot lacquer thinner through to clean the brush.
Either way, I always pull the needle and wipe it down before I shoot a new color or put the brush up.

What it boils down to is your personal preference. I have used both types of paint and they both worked great. I use acrylic now because I'm allergic to enamels. My first airbrush was a Badger 150. Good all around brush. As I got more confident with my skills, I upgraded brushes. I now use two airbrushes, an Iwata Revolution for general painting and a Grex for my fine detail.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 04:08 PM UTC
Just beginning airbrushing. There are 2 types of airbrushes the single action and the double action. Double action gives you more control and is capable of real fine fine painting. Single action gives some detail but is easier to work, clean, and about 1/4 the price. I would recommend for ship building getting a single action as you generally don't do any super-detail painting.

there are three airbrushes I would recomment

1. Is the badger Kenny talked about
2. Paasche H1
3. Aztec system.

The big thing to consider is a compressor. Here is where you sink your money. You get what you pay for. Using those propel cans of compressed air for the airbrush is a mistake...especially if it runs out in the middle of spraying a model. Get with a model club in your area and have them teach you. This is definitely a hands on learning tool. It is extrememly tough trying to teach someone over the internet,

My biggest advice is to take your time before you buy..do some researh, try to get an opportunity to use one a bit before you buy. I've had one for over 30 years now...still have the same one...a Paasche H-1
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
Blaster,

I was just thinking about getting an airbrush with that propellent can, now I think I'll do some research before I break out the cash.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
At one time I had the Badger model that hooked up to canned air (about $20 on sale) at micheals (I think). I bought a brass adapter ($1.50) and a small air compressor (about $100) at home depot. It worked pretty good as an alternative to rattle cans, but not much beyond that.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 05:36 AM UTC
a rattle can and an air compressor for around $100-125 do behave about the same in terms of pressure. The difference is....the air compressor never runs out of air, and it' a one time cost. I think for the same price you can get about 30 cans of air....the problem is that once you open them, they began to leak, so you might get one mabe two models done, but you better spray them within a few days of each other and what happens if you are out of air and the hobby shop is closed or worse, you do mail order
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:34 AM UTC
At one or two uses a week and less than a quarter ounce of paint, the caned air lasted me about a month at sea level. The third can I bought was empty! That prompted the air compressor purchase. The nozzle did adjust, so waste was reduced and I put a lot of different colors through it. I thought the compressor was a good deal. Especially when compared to rattle cans. I will probably get the same set up some day, that is after I shop around. A note to people unfamiliar with air compressors: read and follow the manufacturers recommendations for care and maintenance. Keeping the motor/ pump clean and well ventilated promotes efficient cooling and small compressors run more often. Oiling and draining will increase the air tanks life significantly. Compressed air drops it moisture, this moisture can cause rust.
ehill015
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:41 AM UTC
thanx everyone for your help, i'll be researching for a while thanx a lot
 _GOTOTOP