_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Zvezda's New 1/350 Battlecruiser
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:36 PM UTC
Zvezda Models sends us News of a very interesting new addition to their 1/350 scale line of model warship kits, Russian Battle Cruiser "Borodino".

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:36 AM UTC
Ah... Gunny... "Battlecruiser?" The box clearly says Battleship, and the Borodino was certainly a battleship, since I don't think Fisher had even come out with the battlecruiser concept yet.

I think this is a re-issue of the Eastern Express kit. I have the Suvorov and it looks like a good kit in the box. This should make a nice display piece.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah... Gunny... "Battlecruiser?" The box clearly says Battleship, and the Borodino was certainly a battleship, since I don't think Fisher had even come out with the battlecruiser concept yet.

Marketing, Rodge...they pay these guys alot of money for stuff like this...

Quoted Text

I think this is a re-issue of the Eastern Express kit. I have the Suvorov and it looks like a good kit in the box. This should make a nice display piece.

Yes and no, my friend...re-tooling, and a re-issue...
~Gunny
RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
Zvezda has never done retooling before. Why do you think there is any retooling?

The Borodino was manufactured by ICM in 1/350 originally. Then they packaged it as a sister ship (and not a forgotten sister, btw :-) ), the Kniaz Suvorov. Then ICM went out of business and it appeared under a few different labels. Zvezda and Eastern Express are re-releasers of existing molds, especially from eastern Europe. Why suspect new work has been added?

This is most likely a re-release of the ICM/Eastern Express kit, which wasn't too bad, but at Rodger mentions, pre-dates the term "battlecruiser" by five years.

It is a nice pre-dreadnaught kit. This class formed the main Russian battle line at the Battle of Tsushima in 1905. Unfortunately, three were sunk and one was captured. The story of their travel to Russia's Pacific port from the Baltic Fleet is a tremendous story to read.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Zvezda has never done retooling before. Why do you think there is any retooling?

The Borodino was manufactured by ICM in 1/350 originally. Then they packaged it as a sister ship (and not a forgotten sister, btw :-) ), the Kniaz Suvorov. Then ICM went out of business and it appeared under a few different labels. Zvezda and Eastern Express are re-releasers of existing molds, especially from eastern Europe. Why suspect new work has been added?

This is most likely a re-release of the ICM/Eastern Express kit, which wasn't too bad, but at Rodger mentions, pre-dates the term "battlecruiser" by five years.

It is a nice pre-dreadnaught kit. This class formed the main Russian battle line at the Battle of Tsushima in 1905. Unfortunately, three were sunk and one was captured. The story of their travel to Russia's Pacific port from the Baltic Fleet is a tremendous story to read.

Easy, boss, don't shoot the messenger...just reporting what's been sent, my friends...
Guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?
RKernaghan
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC
Which Borodino? Presumably the pre-dreadnought battleship?

If not - I don't see much point in the Borodino class battlecruisers as they were never completed. A better choice in 1/350 would be a Gangut-class.

As desinged the Borodino-class batleships would have resembled Gangut in profile, but with a higher foc's'l.

Cheers,

Rob Kernaghan
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Which Borodino? Presumably the pre-dreadnought battleship?

If not - I don't see much point in the Borodino class battlecruisers as they were never completed. A better choice in 1/350 would be a Gangut-class.

As desinged the Borodino-class batleships would have resembled Gangut in profile, but with a higher foc's'l.

Cheers,

Rob Kernaghan

Ahoy, Rob!

That's what I'm getting from the announcement, as well...don't know much more at this point, mate...
Cheers,
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC
Between the Russian and Japanese model companies prett y soon we'll have all the majors that participated in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904.
 _GOTOTOP