_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Operation or Mission
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 02:42 PM UTC
Hey all,

We have the "Riverine Military Craft~Indochina/Vietnam" campaign coming up and (jul-dec) and I'm trying to get "Forgotten Sisters" up and running for Jan08 and both of these campaigns are "Mission" type campaigns. I was wondering if any one has a "Operation" type of campaign in the thought process?

I have a few ideas but I don't want to step on any toes. I like building to some kind of dead line and the campaigns are a great way to do this. If any one is planing on something like a "Operation" type of campaign and you need some help with research and such let me know.

sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi Frank

Actually this is a very interesting post because I don't really understand how the operation is different?

Cheers
Dus
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Frank

Actually this is a very interesting post because I don't really understand how the operation is different?

Cheers
Dus

Ok, my friend here goes (in my official Campaign Administrator voice... )

"Operations
There are two distinct types of Campaigns. The first are Operations. They are generally larger in scope than a normal group build. They will also have a high-level of educational value to the build process. If you want to dig out the books and do research than this campaign should interest you.

Missions
The second type of campaign is the Mission. Missions can have as many participants as an Operation, but will generally be more about building models and less about things like historical battles or learning to create a water effect for a diorama. Missions will be the far more predominent form of Campaign on KitMaker."

~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC
And remember this guys, with the free flowing knowledge here at MSW, all Missions end up being like Operations. We all learn something about the history of the subject.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hey all,

See what happens when I get bored at work.....I stir the pot... It would be nice to do an operation type campaign once in awhile. We all love the modeling and we all enjoy research about what were building so I think a larger campaign like "Operation" would be great fun.

1. Staff member to take lead
2. Have other staff or reg members research

something to think about????
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
I have to agree with Gunny, most everything we do is really closer to an operation rather than a mission. Most of us do tons of reseach on what we build. Even in Armor campaigns, I research my subject, I don't just grab some kit and start building it, I have something specific in mind . Ships are a lot worse because they are basically one of a kind and they change throughout their lives, so you have to research to get the right configuration and color scheme. Besides without sounding like a pain in the butt, I think there are way to many campaigns going on. We seem to run about 5 or so a year (ships) and it is starting to get a little confusing about what is going on with them and too many simularities and overlapping subject material. Too many means lower participation. I ran the MEOW and had 145 participants of which about 46 actually completed it and it was 6 months to complete a tank.

Sure, you don't have to sign up for all of them, but as most of us are buddies, you feel you are letting the guy down by not signing up for his campaign. So as for me, this year I'm just going to wander aimlessly and I siged up for the sisters campaig in anticipation of getting a cruiser kit. NOw I see someone proposing a cruiser campaign...(see what I mean by overlapping...I think most of us have are doing a variation of the impending San Francisco for the sisters)

Just my 2 cents worth...but the main reason I quit participating in the Armor ones..I did 5 in one year
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:41 PM UTC
hey all,
maybe I stired the pot one too many times, If we are in need of less campaigns I could withdraw my idea for a campaign and resubmit when there is less on the plate....a future date
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
Dus

Quoted Text

Ok, my friend here goes (in my official Campaign Administrator voice... )

"Operations
There are two distinct types of Campaigns. The first are Operations. They are generally larger in scope than a normal group build. They will also have a high-level of educational value to the build process. If you want to dig out the books and do research than this campaign should interest you.

Missions
The second type of campaign is the Mission. Missions can have as many participants as an Operation, but will generally be more about building models and less about things like historical battles or learning to create a water effect for a diorama. Missions will be the far more predominent form of Campaign on KitMaker."

~Gunny

Ahhhhhhh, now I understand!
Thanks for explaining that Mark.

Cheers
Dus
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
Frank:

Stirring the pot has a bad conotation. Talking about camaigns isn't a bad thing, honestly I feel it is a good thing. To me, the problem begins when folks just try to start campaigns just to start campaigns. You get a slight interest, therefore lets have a campaign. We have plenty going on now, you have one scheduled for a start of January, now I see another proposal for one over a year from now. Then you pop up with another idea, someone else will propose a DDD 3 and someone else a Destroyer, maybe a Pearl Harbor or Midway. That is usually what happens I saw it happen for 3 years in a row in the Armor section. You have 5 campaigns running simultaneously. Now when I have time and get down to it, I can knock out a eral fine tank in 3-4 weeks. So I could entr 3 acmpaigns at once. Ships take 2-3 months, and I usually hit a wall in there someplace and have to go build something else beforejumping back to the ship. That usually means I can only do one ship campaign every half year. I hate having to pick and choose.
 _GOTOTOP