_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
need help locating PE set
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 03:23 PM UTC
hey guys

i mainly build armor models but my LHS is going out of business and was having a 30% off sale. i couldn't resist Tamiya's 1/350 scale Prince of wales battle ship and the USS enterprise for a cheap price.

i need help to find PE sets for the railings mainly for the Prince of wales and USS enterprise but i would like if there were full PE sets

thanks in advance
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
Ahoy, mate, and
Welcome to Model Shipwrights!!!

I too like to build in ALL modeling genres, my friend, but let me warn ye...ship building is a contagious germ, and once you begin, well, you may just be hangin with us for a while (which is a very good thing! )

First, the Enterprise...Gold Medal Models has two very good dedicated sets for this model...
Full Set
Enterprise Elevators

Second, the Prince...
Toms

Good luck with your builds, stop by and let us know how your doing!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
armorjunior
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 05:14 AM UTC
Thanks alot Gunny

i will post progress!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:50 AM UTC
Check Ebay you can usually get a bargain. There is a guy who has an ebay store....AAA models. His prices on PE are usually lower than the discount shops and he doesn't break your back with postage. There are basically 3 firms that make good PE sets White ENsign MOdels...very detailed but very expensive. Gold Medal and Toms run about neck and neck in both price and extensiveness. All 3 are excellent choices.

On the Tamiya 350 scale Enterprise (assuming that is the one you have) you may want to upgrade your aircraft. Trumpeter made sets of all sorts of really great aircraft like F-14, F-18, A-6, and helicopters and other support craft. They are basically small kits with about 8 parts per airplane. Sold six in a set. Go to Lucky models or easy hobby to order these at a better cost.
armorjunior
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 01:20 PM UTC
thanks Steve for the info i will check on ebay for PE and will order soem of the planes for my Carrier.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC
I agree with Steve on the aircraft on the Enterprise. I went to the trouble to purchase all the extra Tamiya kits in order to do a complete airwing and did a lot of hand painting of squadron markings, side numbers etc. This was long before the Trumpeter planes and the aircraft decal sets came out.

I won't go back and replace, but if I were doing this kit now, I'd certainly make those changes. And if you like to be a bit more accurate, and enjoy scratch building, see if you can find the "Detail and Scale" (Vol 39) for the Enterprise. That is LOADED with photos from all over the ship and can really help make a big improvement over the original OOB kit.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP