_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
New guy question
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
Hello Guys & Girls

I would like to model some ships, something I have never done before. My question is what are the differences between the Fujimi 1/700 Yamato Battleships. Squadron.com lists two in the same scale but different product numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Guys & Girls

I would like to model some ships, something I have never done before. My question is what are the differences between the Fujimi 1/700 Yamato Battleships. Squadron.com lists two in the same scale but different product numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well Hello, mate, and
Welcome to Model Shipwrights!
Want to jump into ship building, eh? Well, you've come to the right place!
We're a great community here at MSW, all with ONE thing in common, and that's the love of ship modeling, my friend...so we're here to help, and learn, as well, so if you do have ANY questions, feel free to use the forums, definitly explore the other dynamic areas of our site, such as the "Features", "Reviews", and the "News" departments, as there is a wealth of information there, available 24-7...

Now onto your question!
The two kits from Fujimi. both of the marvelous Yamato....quite simply, mate, same ship, but two different time frames of the ships history, which you will find in many ship subjects (as in AFV's as well)...

Kit # 42133-The Yamato at the time of the Leyte Gulf War

Kit # 42135-The Yamato in the late stage or the last type in her career

Both types are equally as splendid, and regal as the Yamato is, do a bit of research about the ship in the two time frames, then decide which one will fit your desires, and get busy!

One thing to mention though, mate, if this is your first ship model, 1/700 can be a bit challenging (If your eyes and clumsy hands are like mine!
) so you may want to go with a larger scale Yamato in 1/350 for a first ship model...
1/350

Whichever way you do decide, keep us posted on your progress, and have FUN!
Cheers,
~Gunny
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:00 AM UTC
mstcls,

Welcome to our ship building home. I thought gunny was talking about me with the whole " bad eyes, clumsy hands thing...lol! We have plenty of campaigns going on right now ,why don't you take a gander and see if any thing sparks some intreast.
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 03:18 AM UTC
Welcome aboard!

I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your question and glad gunny answered it. Like what wildspear said, check out our campains, like Riverine and Torpedo Boat, which may make it easier for cross over if you build armor before...

Feel free to ask questions and enjoy your build.

Steven
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi CHarles:

I am the Yamato guy. Gunny hit the nail on the head with what he told you. There is a sister ship called the Musashi that also has some time frame variant kits including the inital configuration. I have that kit in my stash but have not built any of the Fujimi versions. I did build the older Tamiya 700 scale versions. Squadron is a good place to find kits, and if you want them quickly the best place. Te cheapest is usually Great models or cheaper still one of the Chinese stores (Lucky model or Easyhobby). The chinese stores cost a lot more to ship if you order big kits or a lot. Small kits you actually save shipping as well as their low cost.

I prefer 350 scale ships. As Frank says they are for us guys with poor eyesight, but Frank and I also add a lot of photoetched parts to enhance the kit. I recently backdated the Yamato to its initial configuration. If you go to our feature section, you can see it published there with lots of photos. Anything you want to know about the Yamato I can probably answer for you. I have some excellent references for her.

Steve
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:47 AM UTC
Wow! Thanks a lot for all the input. I am planning to start with an old DML-1/350 scale U.S.S. Spruance to get my feet wet . I don’t plan to add PE to this first model just concentrate on construction and finishing. For right now I’m starting to build up a stash for those long winter nights here in NE Ohio. So thanks again for all your help.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 01:59 PM UTC
Ahoy Charles!

I'm looking forward to your build of the Spruance.
Please post in progress photos as you build, and remember to ask questions when you have them.

~Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:33 AM UTC
I'm building one of the old Dragon Ticonderoga kits. Not the same kit, but similar kit. It is an OK kit to start with, but offers a few challenges in fit and such. With a little work, it will develop into a fairly nice build This would be an excellent canidate to try out PE on. The decks are rather long and there are less fideldy dee parts to mes with. You might purchase a 350 scale railing kit just to get "feet-wet" on using the medium. For mine, I just used some left over PE I had accumulated from building othe kits.
 _GOTOTOP