_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
It's Monday Morning...
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:02 AM UTC
...So what did you do this weekend?

Did you have a list of honey-dos to do? Did you get to sit back and build a model? Did you see a good movie?

Personally, Friday I had to work on the house (still fighting hurricane damage), but I did get some major bench time Saturday, in between taking care of a sick wife and son. Sunday I got a little work done on the swift boat. All that and having to work on the site with Gunny, too!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
Gator,

This was my work weekend so about all I was able to do was finish on my depth charges. My wife (she belongs to a few tradeing groups on the web) was able to get a book on the USS Nimitz (CVN-68)and a old Airbus 300 kit for free. I think she got more done in the modeling scene than I did.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:29 AM UTC
I am still waiting for my rigging line to come in- day 9 and counting. If it were a bill it would have arrived much sooner I am sure!
So, I spent most of the weekend on line looking things up. I am looking into scratch building the Sophie, turns out she is Spanish but has a Dutch twin...It must be a Dutch flagged twin. So now I am looking for plans or Photos to turn into plans. A little projective geometry anyone?

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am still waiting for my rigging line to come in- day 9 and counting. If it were a bill it would have arrived much sooner I am sure!
So, I spent most of the weekend on line looking things up. I am looking into scratch building the Sophie, turns out she is Spanish but has a Dutch twin...It must be a Dutch flagged twin. So now I am looking for plans or Photos to turn into plans. A little projective geometry anyone?

Paul, where are you buying your rigging line, mate? BlueJacket has a huge supply on hand, at great prices, and fantastic delivery...
~Gunny
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
Company Name: TALLSHIPS
http://www.historicships.com/default.htm
Date/Time: 6/22/2007, ORDER INFORMATION, Drawplate, Wire, 3 x Rig Line, The Art of Rigging, Ship Model Builders Assist.
Shipping: $12.50
Grand Total: $60.43
Now ya tell me. This is a fine example of, one of the questions that should have been asked! This is my first on-line purchase and it doesn’t taste very good, I hope it's not poisonous.

I didn’t see Blue Jacket in the links, I tried model expo but couldn’t get the catalog to load.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:58 AM UTC
I got a little glue on plastic time in. Had our monthly modeling meeting, and as there was no class or agenda, re-commenced work on my old Airfix - Vosper kit. I also am in the last phase of the Tico build. DOne with ship other than the props and shafts which need painting and putting on . Going to dig out some old spare deals for the helicopters and I'll make the July 4 deadline I set. Haven't decided next project yet, so I may continue working on the Vosper, before I set it aside for another 10 years
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
Didn’t have much time for modeling again.

I started the holiday celebrations by blowing up a chair.

No not really (but I do wish I would of thought of that sooner.)

Received the old broken chair this weekend and wanted to get it out of the way then so I can spend the start of this week setting up for Wednesdays fireworks show.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:06 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Not a lot more done on the Pier, as I was working over the weekend. Have painted a battery for the radio, one of the AA ones, sorced some bottles and tea mugs from the spares box, and experimented with some LEDs one of which fell apart and the other which went 'Fssst' in a small puff of smoke and flames

DId get some more work done on my Churchill AVRE and got some figure painting in though.

Nice surprise in the mail when I got home a few pics of the Jakeri Master on the 1/35 WW2 Bobby, from Pete Morton, who looks great and has already got a home lol, lol.

Cheers

Al

Edit: PS. love the chair jacob lol, lol.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Kenny

Actually I have took a break on my USS Cassin for Leyte Campaign, and started (and almost finished) a 1/700 scale SSK Kilo by Hobby Boss (review in the making)
A good value for the money and a more relaxed modeling weekend

Skipper
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
No modelling time again this weekend

Notice that theres not that much on TV this week sooo...

Ciao
Luciano
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
Very cool guys.

Jacob, you're not allowed anywhere near my furniture. Folding chair for you my boy.

Skipper, nice sub. Now, get back to work on the Cassin before I send Jacob over to you house with his matches.

Once again, Jacob, you're a scary young man.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool guys.

Skipper, nice sub. Now, get back to work on the Cassin before I send Jacob over to you house with his matches.

Once again, Jacob, you're a scary young man.

Hi Kenny, thanks!
As for Jacob, I learned how to deal with fire emergencies when I was in the Navy (and how to use an axe too).
I think I got a little burned on the Cassin, because I have been detailing it a LOT (more than usual) and I needed a break on folding, attaching and rolling 1/700 PE parts

Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:40 AM UTC
I hear you mate. It becomes the project that would never end!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
I can only say:
IT WILL END, and in schedule

Skipper
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Bernard!!

As usual, excellent!!! Another Russian subject, right??
Keep us posted, please

Skipper

PS: And I am sorry to ask you, after so long (and I am sorry if you have already answered this), but why such an interest on early 20th Century/ late 19th Century Russian subjects?
Thanks
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:57 AM UTC
hi Rui! yes it's a Sokol (falcon) class destroyer -at least 3 meters of it. I don't have my references near me but they sailed between 1902 and 1920+ -including a few under Finnish flags after 1919.
Of course I will keep on posting stuff every time I have something significative to show
So hey, why Russian 1870-1920? good question, many many different answers. First i don't like to settle my dioramas in "good" countries "that win every big wars", you see i always preferred Daffy Duck to Bugs Bunny
Then i like ill fated boats, and Russia has got a ton of those.
Then I like the relative scarcity of the resource -i spend some time on Russian forums though I can't understand one single word. I am pretty sure that very few rivet counters would actually discuss my choices.
But i think the main reason is that a good half of my artistic shocks (especially cinema) were from Russia and that kinda bonds me to this enormous country for the time being

Good looking Kilo! good luck for the completion

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 01:21 PM UTC
Honey do time, big time. The major project was doing a little painting on a 1-1 scale shed. I got to hear the classic line from my wife, "you paint like you model, meticulous." I think the issue was that I'm only used to dry brushing when brush painting. I kept trying to take all the paint off the brush.

I hope to have the major chores out of the way before long and get back to the workbench.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Nice looking sub you have there.

jba, excellent.

Cheers

Al
RKernaghan
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
I've built that Hobby Boss kit as well. Super kit, very cheap - well worth seeking out if you like subs.

Cheers,

Rob
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jacob, you're a scary young man.

I get that a lot.

Rui great job on the sub.
Those are the same boats Venezuela’s getting right? May have to pick one up.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built that Hobby Boss kit as well. Super kit, very cheap - well worth seeking out if you like subs.

Cheers,

Rob

Would you like to share your's, Robert?
Did you make it full hull or waterline?

Quoted Text

Rui great job on the sub.
Those are the same boats Venezuela’s getting right? May have to pick one up.

Thanks Jacob...As for Venezuela's acquision...I think so! But for €6.00 (or US$10.00) more or less is a good buy!!

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP