_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
How do they come up with these terms?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 02:56 PM UTC
Right now I'm watching Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch, behind the scenes." They were just showing one of the fishing boats in some very heavy seas. They showed a diagram of the boat, with the main deck between fore and aft superstructures labeled as the "shelter deck." About the time they showed this one wave crashed over the side and proved was a misnomer "shelter" was. I did a Google search and found that shelter deck means " upper deck having no overhead protection from the weather, but sheltering the deck below." Huh? So the deck provides no shelter from the weather to those actually ON it, but it shelters the deck below? Clear as mud. I'm sorry but this term HAD to have been invented by an Englishman. They do everything backward,

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC
Or someone that works for the federal government.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC

I love that show, plus man vs wild, and the show about the ice hwy.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC
The government labels thing s quite well. It just takes about a half a paragraph to descibe it I can only remember part of our desciption

tank, combat, fully tracked, 54 ton,105mm gun (there were a few more things thrown in before it finally said M60a1
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 01:22 PM UTC
yeah I know... they have all these damn fancy terms for things that don't even make sense to normal people. why can't they just make it simple for heaven sakes I swear it drives me nuts when do that. Well hopefully some one will understand.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC
Remember, in the US system, it's the most important noun first, most important adjective next, second most important noun, second most important adjective next, etc. etc. etc.

If you can read it backwards and it makes sense, you've done it right.
 _GOTOTOP