_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
EVENT
Modelgeeks MOQ - RR - Kancali Award
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 05:33 AM UTC
Ahoy, mates!

ModelGeek Managing Editor Scott Lodder has a unique opportunity for all modelers, including us shipwrights...and with some of the Hogislander dio's showing up recently onsite, this quarters' contest falls right in line...here is Scotts explanation:

Quoted Text

Ok – we are going to give this Model of the Quarter a new twist.
I need some help with this guys – This Quarter the subject matter is Rail Road – Anything rail road. If there is rail road in it – it’s allowable. You can do an armored rail car, you can do a Train Yard or Train Station diorama. You can do a building that is (obviously) rail road related like a round house or switching station. A traditional rail road model is a given. You can do a full electric rail road layout. You can do dockyard scene with freight cars loading a container ship. You can do box car being offloaded into the belly of a huge aircraft. For you figure builders – how about a conductor leaning out of a steamers engine window, or a porter taking tickets (it must be clearly apparent). Any scale is acceptable.

The goal is quality subjects that I can turn into site content. The obvious content type is a Model On Display (MOD). A MOD is a picture only feature. If you want to take build photos or technique photos and do a spin off feature that would be great.

A twist and incentive for you is a sponsorship award from

Kancali.

They have given the site a latex roadway surface in HO scale. This is a link to their product page here. The sponsorship means that the Gallery Voted winner will receive two sheets of the Kancali HO Scale Street Section with details. Two sheets is a great quantity, enough to do a full diorama or two in that scale, or a large rail road layout.

Basics – Build your project over the next 3 months. Post updates as often as you like, the more the merrier, more is encouraged. If you are only doing a MOD upload the photos, if you’re doing a feature, upload the end result photos and submit the written content via the standard site submission process. I will have a progress Gallery created for In-Process photos or multiple finished photos. At the end of the three months I’ll build a Final Gallery and the first two weeks of the next quarter voting will take place using the Gallery voting system. I believe the system is sound enough to produce an equitable result. Due to low volume of Rail Road content on any of the KitMaker sites I am only excluding myself from the contest. The subject with the most votes will be awarded the Kancali sheets.

Details – I am not a participant and will remain the primary decision point in all contest matters. You can enter as many items as you like. Any scale is acceptable. See above for subject ideas. Upload in-progress photos to the gallery as you go, upload as many as you want. Final voting Gallery will only allow one final photo (a composite is fine).
The project can be already started, it must be finished within the quarter (no dusted off old projects). It can be for other site content or campaigns (as long as those sites don’t have rules against it).
There have to be at least three subjects to vote on to award the prize. If three are not entered then I will not award anything – so encourage everyone.
If there are any problems with the award process you must PM the concern to me. I will decide on the matter and if a resolution can not be achieved I will bring the matter to a committee of non-participating staff members from the KitMaker network to bring a close to the situation.

This is your chance to contribute to the site and to have some rail roading fun. So lets get involved and have fun.

So, what kind of dio could you possibly build that would qualify?...well, like THIS one...

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
That is a perfect one! Love it. It could also be something in line with a large hover ferry loading a train?

Thanks for the support - come on over and join the fun.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC
I have always loved train stuff. Too bad that BR52 would take me longer than 3 months to do. After seeing all that brass that fellow is using on his, I went out and found a couple of the old Eduard sets on sale and ordered those from Great MOdel. But I might do one of the Dragon rail cars I purchased to go with it a while back.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Scott

It looks a interesting event - and I know that some of the guys will go the extra mile, just for help Modelgeek
Thanks
Skipper
 _GOTOTOP