_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Wooden Ship Modelers...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
Ahoy, mates!

I want to take a moment this morning, and ask a question to all ye salty dogs out there...we like to cover all aspects of ship modeling here at Model Shipwrights, and an area that is often overlooked is the wooden ship.

I myself enjoy this style of ship modeling extremely, as it is the very first medium that I worked in many years ago, when I built my first ship model, and I always have one in construction in my shop...how many of ye out there enjoy building these regal beauties from the days of "oars and wind"?

I would like to increase the coverage of wooden ship building here at MSW, and am looking for some of you blokes who would like to share your builds, tips, tricks, and ideas, on the subject...drop me a line if you would like to submit photos for a MOD feature, or would like to do a Step-by-Step build article, review, or other type of writing, concerning the wooden ship kit...

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC
I love wooden ships. Ok I love ships, but wooden ships in particular.
It is as close to scratch building as you can get with a kit. For me there is nothing better than the satisfaction of turning a plan, a box of sticks and string into a ship. The history of these ships is fantastic, there are so many incredible feats of exploration and courageous martial prowess.

There are other sites / boards that cover just wooden ships but that’s all that they have. I am not going anywhere and if we are to see more wood shipwrights there needs to be something here for them- content. I hope to have the Hermione finished before I move back to Washington and will be able to show the Sophie (should she come about) Step-By-Step from the plans up.
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 02:44 AM UTC
Well, I 've only built one and that was about 20 years ago. It was the Artesania Latina kit of the pilot boat Swift. I did it on my own, no coaching at all. I still have it displayed at home. Haven't built one since. I keep toying with the idea of building another, but I don't have much time to build plastic models any more and the wooden ones are really time intensive.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 06:21 AM UTC
I love them too, but I'll just stick to buying pre-built ones. I had a bummer of a time trying to build a plastic version of the Constitution let alone one of those plank on plank kits. But, I do like to read tips on how it is done as a lot of those same skills and techniques can be applied to plastic kits as well.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 05:10 PM UTC
I love em'. I've completed 3 and have 4 more at about 60% with 9 more in the stash. These are the beasties that got me into this hobby.
 _GOTOTOP