_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Flat paints and varnish?
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:21 AM UTC
I am currently using White Ensign Models paints and they are flat. Would I still want to spray some sort of varnish (if so, would that affect the colors?) over them to apply weathering and then flatten them out again or how should I do this?
Thanks!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi Ion

Actually there are severall implications with your question:
1 - Yes the varnish will change a little bit the colour, especially if it is gloss;
2 - Depending on the scale you're working on, and if it is a large scale (1/72 until 1/350) I would go for varnishing it first and then weather it, and in the end seal it with a flat varnish coat;
3 - When you say weather it, do you mean rusting, shading and dry brushing, right?
So...
3A - Shading: you can make a wash of balck or dark gray (or both) and work on several areas accordingly;
3B - Dry Brushing or Highlighting: Second step using the base colour or even the base colour lightened (a few drops of white do the trick);
3C - Rusting: I always make my rust with artists oils (see my Typ XXIII review)
3D - after all this seal it with WEM Flat coat

I hope this answers your question
If you need any further help, please ask

Skipper
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC
Thanks skipper!

So what type of varnish would you recommend for my 1/144 XXI? I have flat, matte and gloss. I have future too, but future is acrylic.....which I suppose can work too, since I also have acrylic versions of the above.

Yes, I might do a bit of post shading, a wash and maybe a few rust spots. I don't have experience with highlighting, but I will look at your build.

Thanks.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks skipper!

So what type of varnish would you recommend for my 1/144 XXI? I have flat, matte and gloss. I have future too, but future is acrylic.....which I suppose can work too, since I also have acrylic versions of the above.

Yes, I might do a bit of post shading, a wash and maybe a few rust spots. I don't have experience with highlighting, but I will look at your build.

Thanks.

Ion,
After you paint the u-boot colours, apply the gloss varnish - it's more "controlable" in order to aply washes and the rusting. After all this is dry, and to your taste, apply the flat coat.
The highlighting is supposed to bring out the shapes where you have applied the wash, it will look better... but don't overdo it (or any of the above mentioned techniques)

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC
Here is a different tact. WEM are enamels. If you use acrylic to do washes and weathering you don't have to apply anything. When all is said and done, take out a rattle can of good old Testor's dull coat to coat entire model and seal in all your work. I paint my stuff in enamel, I'll coat in future only if I am applying decals and using a paint thnner based wash.....which I frequently do especially on my tanks. The thinner reacts with the original enamel without the future application.
 _GOTOTOP