_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya I-400, danger, rant ahead
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 04:11 PM UTC
I happened to walk into the LHS today just as they were putting out their newest kits. Two of them immediately caught my eye. The new 1/350 I-400, and the 1/35 French armored carrier UE.

Before I go further let me say that I have a policy of buying from the LHS, any of the three in town, any time I can. This is because of the help and support they give to local modelers. This is just what I do, I don't pretend to tell anybody else what to do.

Anyway I've seen the posts on the I-400 kit here, and I must say it sounds very impressive. I am a more than a bit put off by the price. The sticker on the box said, I think, $69 list price, their price $64. Now I will admit Tamiya included quite a few nice features in the kit, and the box had a very nice heft to it, indicating lots of stuff inside. Still when I compared the size of the box, and the scale, to the Trumpeter 1/144 scale USS Gato, twice the size for at only $39, the Tamiya kit seemed even more expensive.

Now I know that Hobby Link Japan lists it for $39, but come on. That's a 76%, based on list, between Japan and the US. I'll bet the LHS isn't getting that kind of mark up.

The UE was a bit of a different story. It was listing for $39, and selling for $34. When I compared it to the Bren Carrier Forced Recon, at $22, the brand new kit seemed to be a decent buy.

I know Tamiya does great kits, and I know costs are higher from them to produce their kits that the Chinese Trumpeter kits, but I really blame the US importer for really jacking up the price for Tamiya kits in the US.

Much as I think I'd like the I-400 I think I'll pass on it, if for no other reason than out of protest for what I think is a price that is too high to be justified.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 08:05 PM UTC
The price for all 350 scale ships is getting high. The Destroyers are running near $50. Of course the Tamiya rebox battleships are now on the verge of $100. I agree the price for a sub of $69 is a bit outrageous, but then we have always known that Tamiya kits are way overpriced, just look at their Armor a few years back. $45 and Dragon's with all the goodies were $30. Buy the sub from China.
RKernaghan
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 09:19 PM UTC
Can you not get the kit cheap by buying it direct from China or Japan?

Cheers,

Rob
 _GOTOTOP