_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
40% Off at Hobby Lobby
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Hobby lobby sends us news of this weeks internet coupon ~ 40% off regularly priced items!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
Can't think of a thing I really want except that new I-400 350 scale sub kit from Tamiya. If anyone runs into one, pick it up and I'll re-imburse.....only at the 40% off Hobby Lobby price...I can get it at full retail or slightly discounted through Squadron if I wanted it that bad.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
Blaster,

I'll keep an eye out for that sub (my hobby lobby has a poor ship selection though). I'm headed out there today.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
Blaster,

Just got back and no sub for ya. They had the 1/72 Gato and a 1/72 U-boat ,plus a few other ships but my hobby lobby doesn't have a great ship selection.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
Frank:

Thanks for looking, but I could have told you my remark was in jest as I knew they wouldn't have it. HOLO usually doesn't get kits on the shelves until they are close to available elsewhere for a year. Their main business is the gew gaws stuff for women. Models are kind of a small sideline to kept the men and boys occupied while mama shops for her stuff. The tank and ship section occupies less than half a shelving section of the two sections they dedicate. One side is 3/4 cars with the other 1/4 devoted to paint, glue, supplies etc. The other long shelf is about 2/3 aircraft with the last 3rd for ships and tanks
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC
We've got the 1/72 Gato at ours but I'll probably pick up the Sullivans since I bugger up mine trying to build it with injured fingers.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:32 AM UTC
Actually I think HoLos ship section has been growing over the last few months. The Gato, Trumpeter Lexington, North Carolina, Sullivans, Tamiya kits, etc, etc. Since it will just go into the stash for quite a while anyway I don't mind waiting for them to get something after a year. 40% off retail of the Tamiya I-400 makes it closer to what I think it's worth anyway.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:23 AM UTC
HAve to agree 100 % with you Rodger. It is a darn sight better selection in ships than 3 years ago. As I am limiting everything I do so I can pick up an Alabama, I can wait a while for it to come out at 30 or so dollars

Did anyone besides Kenny pick up anything. I sure remember when we first discovered the coupons. Guys would go to all the stores in the area and report on what as found, then post it. My area didn't have a T55 at the time so I had one sent to me from one of the guys in Houston. I picked up a Pershing for a guy in Virginia. I know several dealers went in and picked up dozens of kits
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC
I actually picked up Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Doolittle Raider. Couldn't pass that one up. As far as ship kits, I'm going to start ordering mine from Japan. I can get the I-400 + shipping for half of what it would cost in the states. Check Lucky Models and HLJ.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I actually picked up Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Doolittle Raider. Couldn't pass that one up. As far as ship kits, I'm going to start ordering mine from Japan. I can get the I-400 + shipping for half of what it would cost in the states. Check Lucky Models and HLJ.

That may be Kenny but you forgot one huge disadvantage in ordering online. They ship to your door, but then you have to explain to SWMBO, "so what's in the box?"

By buying at HoLo, or the LHS, you ca control the time, and method the kit arrives in the house.

SWMBO "Is that a new kit" asked while you're fondelig the I-400.

Halfyank "This old thing? No I've had this for years. "

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hey Rodger. Mrs. Gator doesn't have a problem with it.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:32 PM UTC
You just gtta buy her something too. I used to do that with my ex. Thing was , she wanted a model kit too. And that meant I had to put 90 % of it together for her. But hey, it kept the peace
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:16 AM UTC
Naw, I don't have to buy her anything. I usually tell her what I'm buying before I get it anyway. The key here is that I use GPM money and my little play money from my paycheck to buy my kits. That way I'm not dipping in to the checking account.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Naw, I don't have to buy her anything. I usually tell her what I'm buying before I get it anyway. The key here is that I use GPM money and my little play money from my paycheck to buy my kits. That way I'm not dipping in to the checking account.

You're a lucky man Gator. My better half, (and if you don't believe she's my better half just ask her, ) has the attitude, what "what's yours is ours, what's mine in mine."

The thing is I never know how much of the grief she gives me is just in fun, and how much is exasperation over my hobby.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
Traci had the exact same viewpoint on money Her paycheck was strickly for her entertainment and occassional car payment. I covered all the house expenses and food and the other part of her car payment when she bought to many pairs of shoes and her 3 phone lines. .
 _GOTOTOP