_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Massachutsettes released
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:00 AM UTC
I have heard that the Massachutsettes is in the final distribution chain. That is of course the big 350 scale version. Apparently some of the European HObby shops have them and I undestand Steven's started shipping last Thursday. SO, can we get a sample build, or have they already done that? Put me on the volunteer list as I read we are now advisors to Trumpeter as well as Dragon.

I have already seen the first complaint posted. Once again the propeller issue. THe same one as the North Carolina. Both ships used 5 blade outer props and trhee blade inners. Apparently in both cases Trumpeter used 2- 5 blade and 2- 4 blade. I got the Trumper detail set for the Hood which had metal props which were three blade, so I'll just substitute the plastic left over ones. As we are all prone to saying..."Close enough for GOvernment work"
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:19 AM UTC
Blaster,

Ya the whole prop thing is turning into a real issue with this kit. On another site they are really worked up on this. I'm begining to believe in what you said......Close enough...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
I don't know what side to root for on things like this. On the one hand there is the manufacturers who really should know better. I mean really, it's not like they couldn't get tons of free advise just by posting on any of several forums. On the other hand there are all the "experts" who delight in finding the smallest possible nits to pick. Good grief, lets be thankful we're getting her in 1/350 scale, and that she's "good enough" that with a few modifications she can be built into a good kit.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC
make it waterline!!!

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself!
Skipper
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:37 AM UTC
Skipper,

Be still oh Diorama king,the big ships are for us full hull fans. I believe you owe the site a round of brews for this infraction......
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:20 AM UTC
You have to understand that Tracy and Ron are both perfectionists and certified experts. I have seen them get into a disagreement over some minute thing and each throw out tons of documetation to prove their points. I read Ron's tear down of the NOrth Carolina. 90% of what he had fault with was stuff that I really didn't care about or was corrected with the PE set Trumpeter could have included PE rails and gun shieds and stuff like that, but that woud have increased the cost of the kit to retail $180.

Going to lose 1000's of sales due to that kind of price as well as folks that don't or won't mess with PE. I am a bit more perfectionist than an average builder, so figure that 100,000 folks buying the kit aren't really going to fret on what the propeller configuration was at a certain time in her career. I've seen those 20mm and 40 mm gun updates. Yea they look a lot better....especially if you are looking at them thru a 2x magnifying glass. But they are small and fidelly and most of us would end up making the kit look worse trying to do that precision level of work.

I've never seen Tracy's or Ron's work, but I would bet I would be suitablly impressed. I have seen what Jeff Herne could do and I know he was impressed with them. Getting a PE set clears up a lot of the complaints. Their price comparison shows that even with all the fiddely stuff you still save $100 bucks over a resin, and personally I find resin a difficult medium to work with. Oh the Yankee model worksguy John Sheridan. His stuff is high quality and good. I used his backdate kit on my Lexington.
 _GOTOTOP