_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Good morning Model Shipwrights...
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:46 PM UTC
It's a balmy 75 degrees here at the news station. We have a 60% chance of rain today. We start of our morning with the question that is on everyone's mind, what did you do this weekend? So, sound off. The lines are open.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:55 PM UTC
What I do every weekend. Worked.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Well, my scaly friend, all of Saturday was spent outside painting a new shed, Sunday afternoon, yardwork, and Sunday evening?....Another special feature put together for MSW (not tellin ya anymore! ), and Jacobs review edited, uploaded, and programmed...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Worked and modelled, results of last weeks labours on site.

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Kenny

Made some progresses on USS Cassin and got the sea base 95% made (this was the third I made, and I finnaly got what I was looking for!!)
Photos uploaded later today

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 02:25 AM UTC
I started work on the Trumpeter 1/350 USS The Sullivans. When I get home tonight I plan on starting a blog on the build.

Just to see how it would go I carved out one of the plastic life rafts to replace the slats with PE. 45 minutes to one raft. Why I am doing this again?

I glued the hull, full hull of course, and deck together. Seams are very good, but the hull is going to need some sanding. It looks to me like they basically made the hulls sides in halfs, then put them together before packaging. Same with the full hull piece. I figured it would be easier to sand in one piece, better support.

I'm meeting with a friend of mine from IPMS, who we call Captain Nemo, who has just about every reference book you can think of on ships. He's going to loan me what he has on the Fletcher class so I can know better what radar, what depth charge racks, the location of the floater baskets, etc, for The Sullivans as she appeared at Leyte Gulf.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
Very cool Rodger.

Skip, looking forward to seeing the photos.

Mrs. Gator and I spent Friday running around getting ready for Ian's birthday party. The party was Saturday afternoon, Ian had a blast. Sunday I started sanding on the swift boat, again. I'm replacing antennas, gun stop, gun mount and probably the search light on the cabin. I've put that aside a picked up my C.S.S. David for the Torpedo Boat campaign. I need a break from ol' swifty.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and Jacobs review edited

Didn’t mean to give you more work over the weekend.

Didn’t do much building this weekend. We seem to have developed a few more wildlife problems I’ve been dealing with.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 05:15 AM UTC

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 05:33 AM UTC
Ahoy Kenny

Worked a little on the mighty E Boat.

Here is a shot of the Steering wheel

Regards

Sean
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC
We are under Grumpyoldman's attack !!!!!
Jean-Bernard, that's a cool way of saying where you get that part
The home made PE parts come out excellent - some day I have to try myself some of those chemical adventures

Skipper
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kenny

Made some progresses on USS Cassin and got the sea base 95% made (this was the third I made, and I finnaly got what I was looking for!!)
Photos uploaded later today

Skipper

The photos of another 1/700 sea base...

Still missing some white foam (diluted) and another coat of varnish - than I can add the DD
Comments are welcome, as usual

Skipper
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC
You've got wings these days Rui! nice job on your sea base, I am pretty sure you have something cool again to show soon.
yeah long story with mr Grumpyoldman, but the brown rivets are certainly his
JB
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
As stated on another thread, got another airbrush color on the old Vosper. JUst hand and detail paint left now. A few more parts to glue on and I 'll finally finish that 10 year build. Got a lot done on my UH1D for the brown water build. Panda kit has gone together well until putting windscreen on. Some real bad gaps. I used glue and streched sprue to rectify . Got some sanding to do to fix that, then glue a few more parts and tape it up for the OD spray. Project is moving along nicely
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
Spent a weekend at Baltimore's Inner Harbor,caught an Oriole game at Beautiful Camden Yards,went to the aquarium,had dinner in Little Italy and had a great time until sunday evening traffic on I-95 in New Jersey.
PeteV
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 172 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi All,

Sorry I`m late with a reply but work is hectic at present, end of the college year and the student portfolios must be assessed and internally verified.

This weekend was a sort of mix, decided to decorate the second bedroom so Saturday was spent stripping wall paper, Saturday night went to a good bye Bar-B-Q as a work mate and good friend is leaving England (Lucky Git) to dwell in France in the farm house he has purchased, cheap holidays in future I think.

Sunday was spent fighting a 1/72 scale resin kit of a KuK Holland boat, and when I say fighting I mean fighting, there is no way I could call the experience modeling or even pleasure but I will win, to give you an idea of the resistance that Bl***y kit is giving me I have even built 2 , YES 2, 1/48 scale tanks just to do some thing with plastic that was fun.

PeteV

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi Pete

Sorry for the stupid question, but is this your first resin kit you're working with?
Resin is a "little bit" different from plastic, being the first step to wash all the resin parts with dish washer detergent, so that the grease of the releasing agent is gone.
If you need any further help, you know how to get me
Cheers mate - and don't give up on that Holand (appart from a colourfull sub, he is very sleek looking)

Skipper
PeteV
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 172 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi Rui,

I am rather glad in a strange sort of way to inform you that this is not my first resin kit, my first boat resin kit yes but I have used resin up-date, conversion sets and complete resin kits of aircraft and tanks over the last 20 years or so.

The kit concerned is the WMM model of the KuK Holland boat and for the price I had visions of some thing that was , well how shall I say this , better.

An example is the two hull sides, the resin is thin and if you don`t take the time to build the insides up with milliput you will be in trouble later, on my example there was no clear diffenition between casting plug and hull, so you guess when sanding, I used the brass etched deck plates to give me an idea of how far to go. It was at this point that I noticed the my hull halves appear to have different profiles and that when sanded flat (checked with a straight edge) the front and rear of the hull are too narrow and require building up on the out side while the center section is too wide and needs to shaved down, result you have to cut off a lot of the detail.

The rear section of the hull which has to be joined to the main hull havles(remember the hull was too narrow at the rear) is even narrower and requires a plastic packer which extends the hull lenght but will allow you to blend the two bits together. If you have not filled the inside of the main hull parts with milliput you can sand into the void.

I think by now you will have got the idea.

If this had been my first resin kit I think it would have been a very long time before I did another, it is possible that mine is just a bad kit or even thats it is just down to me but the fight goes on.

PeteV

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi Pete

Yes, resin models sometimes can be "surprises"!
My advice, and this because small industries (cottage) owners are great guys, is for you to send an email to Herr Peter Platner, the owner of WMM and see if he can send you replacement parts

Chin up
Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:59 AM UTC

Anthony:

I've had dinner in Baltimore's little Italy . Best meal I ever had. Due to a srew up, I couldn't get a direct flight. As I had to go to a place south of Harrisburg they sent me to Baltimore with a car rental. My buddies and I went into little Italy for dinner just as the restaurants were opening their doors. Well ahead of the crowds. We hemmed and hawed over the menu. I wanted a combination of Veal Marsalla and some eggplant. The chef came out and talked with us then made this wonderful dinner for us based on what we told him. They also had THE BEST salad dressing I ever tasted and we were rewarded for our enthusiastic response with them taking empty wine bottles and filling them up with the dressing. Surprisingly they didn't charge us anymore than their average entree price. Reminded me of my childhood in San Francisco and the Italian restaurants there as my grandparents were from the old country and were pisano's.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

had a great time until sunday evening traffic on I-95 in New Jersey.

Traffic in NJ goes right along with Death and Taxes...it's guaranteed to happen!

I did some more work on the Illinois, and some work on a 1/700 Tamiya Gneisenau.
 _GOTOTOP