_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
newbie question
contactwaitout
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hello all,
I am currently building a Revell 1:144 scale VIID minelayer U - Boat and would like to get some help regarding painting this boat, my experience level is not that high yet as i am only starting out. So if anyone out there has made this kit and wouldnt mind passing on some tips that would be great.
Thak you
Michael
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:15 PM UTC
Ahoy, Michael,
Welcome to Model Sipwrights, mate!

Personally, have not built the kit, but I do know that it is a good one, for sure...there has been a few build threads regarding the minelenger in the past, while you're waiting for an answer, try out the search bar in the upper right corner of this page, my friend...you'll get some of the previous history...keep us posted of your build, Michael, and enjoy your stay here!
Cheers,
~Gunny
PeteV
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 172 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

As Gunny has already stated its is a good kit, I have got as far as putting the hull and deck together before I accepted that having 6 models on the go was not practical and put in back in the box or later.

Regarding painting, do you intend to spar with an airbrush or hand paint, the different methods could decide which paints you use.

The White Ensignj Models range of paints are good regarding colour but they are enamels with a longer drying time and not to every ones taste, I understand they brush paint OK but I have never used them in this manner so don`t take my word for it, they do spray well, I have used them in this way.

Some of the water based paints brush paint well while others don`t, the Tamiya range spray great but can`t be brush painted over over any thing above touch up area size, well I don`t know anyone who says they can.

Hope this helps

PeteV
contactwaitout
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi,
Thank you both for the speedy reply to my question. Regarding the type of paint apllication i was goin to use, i was kinda hoping to use a spray type gun, this will be my first time using this method so Lets hope i dont stuff it up. Also what is a good way to remove the dried up glue from the model? sorry if this is a silly question but i am only starting out.
Hear from you all soon.
Michael
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Thank you both for the speedy reply to my question. Regarding the type of paint apllication i was goin to use, i was kinda hoping to use a spray type gun, this will be my first time using this method so Lets hope i dont stuff it up. Also what is a good way to remove the dried up glue from the model? sorry if this is a silly question but i am only starting out.
Hear from you all soon.
Michael

First off, my friend, there is no such thing as a silly question here...we're all in the same boat (pun intended! ) , all with the love of the ship model, and the building of such, so help, you will get (often in many forms and different opinions, but everybody has a different method that works for them...you will have to try them out and see what works best for you! )

As far as removing excess glue from the model, well mate, if you have excess glue, then unfortunately, you are using too much adhesive...most modeling "glues" are really not adhesives, at all, but actually work by causing a chemical reaction in the plastic, actually temporarily melting the plastic, to form a kind of "weld"...you only need a small amount on the two joining pieces to cause this reaction, and it's actually best to apply your "glue" with a toothpick or pin-point applicator, to avoid using too much...

BUT, if you have excess glue on your plastic, you really only have one option of removal, and that is to gently sand the glue away, with a superfine (1200 grit)sandpaper, which actually "buffs" the excess glue off, other than sanding it off...one thing to remember though, is if you have excess glue on some parts that have molded detail in them, then removing the glue will also remove the detail, which can then be replaced by you, the modeler...hope this helps you out a bit, mate, and again, please, don't be afraid to ask any questions!!!
Cheers,
~Gunny
contactwaitout
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
thanks for the info once again Gunny.
RKernaghan
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
Spraying - WEM paints spray very well but take practice to brush with. The properties of WEM paints vary more than other brands, but with patience you can get decent brushed finishes with them.

Humbrol enamels don't spray as well as WEM, but are easier to brush with.

On the sanding - get yourself some ladies' nail buffers. The sort you need look totally smooth and also feel smooth. After sanding, rub them lightly over the sanded area to remove any scratches caused by the sandpaper.

Cheers,

Rob
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:42 AM UTC
Michael:

First welcome to the site. Ship building is pretty special and is unlike tank and airplane building in that every ship is unique....even among so called sister ships. Some folks strive for absolute accuracy and are willing to spare no expense to make it so. Others of us just want the finished kit to look accurate and don't fret about the small stuff. We have all levels of expertise on this site. ALL of us are more than willing to shae our experiences and recommendations with you.

I live stateside so some of the materials I use won't be the same as or available to our European group. I like Model Master paint. WEM is unavailable in my area and more expensive especially when you throw in shipping costs. Consequentially I seek similar colors that I can go pick up at my local hoby store Sanding sticks. Once again local hobby store. If nothing else to research and get a feel for what you are looking for, then go out to the discount beauty store and buy it for half the price.

As to how to paint or specifically what colors do I use; once again we have many experts and others can direct you to websites to get your information.

So the gist of all this....you have a whole army behind you that can guide you along the path of this very addictive hobby.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC
michael,

welcome, i think i have the record for most silly questions asked. i am also stateside and like blaster i use modelmasters paint. i like acrylic paint for ease of cleanup and i like the finish better. ask away with the questions and we'll answer what we can.
contactwaitout
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:21 PM UTC
Thanks once again for all the help, i am so glad i asked. I should be at the paint stage by the weekend.
Michael
 _GOTOTOP