_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
SS Lancastria
Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if there are any models of the ss lancastria, or something that makes and easy conversion?? my gereat uncle survived the sinking of the lancastria and i thought it might be interestingf to build one, but i cant find one anywhere.

Cheers,
Paul
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
what kind of ship was it? A freighter, troopship, liberty ship.....did she have any sister ships. There isn't too big a market out there for non-combat ships
Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
blaster, the ss lancastria was originally a cruise ship with the Cunard line. she was pressed into military service as a troopsip to help the evacuation at dunkirk. after the ss lancastria had picked up her passenger, which numbered between 6000-9000 (including the crew) she was bombed by a german aircraft. there were only 2400 survivors. the sinking of the lancastria was the largest maritime disaster in british history.

Cheers,
Paul
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:16 PM UTC
I have a curious nature and did some research on modern day cruise ships. There are models of them out there, but in my research I saw several older ships as well. Try this tact. You might get some luck maybe in an aleady built piece.
 _GOTOTOP