_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
BB-59 colors?
JimF51
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
Got my Trumpeter 1/350 USS Massachusetts. Would like to verify colors shown on diagram. It calls for Navy Blue deck and horizontal surfaces, Lght Gray for vertical surfaces above deck. The lower hull calls for Hull Red, upper sides Navy Blue, Red & Blue seperated by a thin band of Flat Black.

Would the above be correct?

Thanks.

Jim Flynn

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
The kit represents the Mass in its end of the war configuration. SO the colors and layout is correct. The Alabama is due out very shortly . It is a sister ship and I believe the time frame planned for her is 1943. They have that 2 or 3 color jagged camoflauge pattern depicted on the box cover. Have you dry fitted any of the parts yet? Be interested in a quicky initial reaction to the kit from someone who desn't have the goal to tear the kit apart. I have been awaiting the kit (Alabama) for over a year now.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
The Massachusetts was painted in Measure 22 Graded System.

Vertical Surfaces:
Navy Blue 5-N : To be applied to the hull to the height of the main deck edge at its lowest point. The upper edge of this Navy Blue are should be horizontal.

Haze Gray: 5-H: All remaining vertical surfaces and all masts and small gear.

Horizontal Surfaces:

Horizontal surfaces, Deck Blue, 20-B.

Wood Decks: Wood decks except on submarines and carriers shall be darkened to the color Deck Blue. Deck Blue paint shall be used in lieu of stain for this purpose.

Canvas Covers: Canvas covers visible from the outside vessel are to be dyed a color corresponding to Deck Blue.

The 'Bama, as depicted in the new Trumpeter model, was painted in Measure 12 modified, like the Hornet and Fletcher.

~Gator
 _GOTOTOP