_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Eduards Latest In 1/350 Figures
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Take a look at this amazing new PE set from Eduards, a 1/350 figure set, fully painted, the "Pacific V-day 2 Sept.1945".

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what I always wanted....a 350 scale Dougie
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what I always wanted....a 350 scale Dougie

I got a 1/35 one you can have. It will save me from using it as a paper weight.

The kit looks incredible, but is it just me or do they remind anybody else of the cut out figures of the townspeople in Blazing Saddles?

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it just me or do they remind anybody else of the cut out figures of the townspeople in Blazing Saddles?

Now that's funny!

I think it's a neat idea, but isn't it the usual practice to try to fatten up the flatness of the little fellows with white glue, after bending the little guys to a more natural position?

I've always wondered how do you anneal these "pre-painted" parts? Doesn't the paint burn off or flake off when bending? Or do people just not bend them? Kind of defeats the pre-paintedness doesn't it? Especially for things like seat belts.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it's a neat idea, but isn't it the usual practice to try to fatten up the flatness of the little fellows with white glue, after bending the little guys to a more natural position?

Most definitely correct, Dave...my theory is that Eduard is trying to make these figgie sets more attractive to ALL ship modeler skill levels, not just the more experienced salts who have no problems working with and including a realistic crew on their ship builds with PE figgies...

Quoted Text

I've always wondered how do you anneal these "pre-painted" parts? Doesn't the paint burn off or flake off when bending? Or do people just not bend them? Kind of defeats the pre-paintedness doesn't it? Especially for things like seat belts.

Again, a good point...annealing these would be an impossibility if you would want to keep the "pre-painted" finish...I've used Eduards pre-painted 1/35 scale figure shoulder insignia's before, and they do bend and comply to curves quite easily, as the brass is a bit softer and lighter gauge...I haven't worked with any other of Eduards pre-colored line, so my comments on them, my friend, would only be speculation...good food for thought though, Dave!

Cheers,
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
I would concur with Mark's specualtions, I would imagine a degree of bendiness due to the thinness and the material. It is that steel photo etch that is a problem for me. I use the brass rails all the time and as long as they aer the true brass versus metal they bend to whatever shape I desire. The steel ones tend to resist and try to spring back into their original shape.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
I have their 1/700 pre-painted naval figure set waiting in the wings for my fleet carrier project. It is an extremely nice set.
 _GOTOTOP