_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Strange sub spotted
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hey all,

Check out this yahoo story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_re_us/nyc_submarine
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
Pretty neat, too bad about getting fined though.
Good reason to pick up the Cottage "Turtle" kit.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
There is a "security zone" around the QE 2? Is that around all cruise ships?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
An excellent question Rodger. I would venture out and say yes. Think of the damage done to the Cole and that was an armored war ship. On a cruise ship it would be a virtual disaster what with the thinner non armored hull and thousands of people aboard....almost none of them combat trained and a large percentage of them children and the elderly...It is almost too hard to contimplate the nightmare.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
[quote]An excellent question Rodger. I would venture out and say yes. Think of the damage done to the Cole and that was an armored war ship./quote]

Was the Cole armored? (BTW, far as I know I'm not a relation.) I'm no expert on modern ships but WWII Destroyers and such had no armor at all. I've read how the British were impressed by US building standards as they used "armor grade" steel even when it wasn't actual armor, but that's not the same thing. The one thing I'd say the Cole would have that the QE2 wouldn't is great damage control. Americans have always had excellent D.C. and I'm sure it's even better now.

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Only since the development of the Department of “Homeland Security” and the Transportation Security Administration. These “Security Zones” were not necisary for 22 years after the Achille Lauro.

“October 1985, four terrorists seized the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro, killed wheel-chair bound Leon Klinghofer, an American citizen, and threw his body into the sea. The perpetrators of this grisly murder were captured shortly afterward when F-14s from USS Saratoga (CV-60) intercepted an airliner bearing the men and forced the plane to land at a U.S. base in Sicily, where they were turned over to Italian authorities.” (NHC) http://www.history.navy.mil/
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Only since the development of the Department of “Homeland Security” and the Transportation Security Administration. These “Security Zones” were not necisary for 22 years after the Achille Lauro.

“October 1985, four terrorists seized the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro, killed wheel-chair bound Leon Klinghofer, an American citizen, and threw his body into the sea. The perpetrators of this grisly murder were captured shortly afterward when F-14s from USS Saratoga (CV-60) intercepted an airliner bearing the men and forced the plane to land at a U.S. base in Sicily, where they were turned over to Italian authorities.” (NHC) http://www.history.navy.mil/

Now that was a bit of history that I had failed to learn about. I think I'll have to read up on that subject. Thanks redshirt
 _GOTOTOP