_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Info Help on Alfa Weapon
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 05:33 AM UTC
Researching my uncles ship DD-930/ DL-5 USS Wilkinson I ran across “2 rkt. (Weapon "Alfa")” (DANFS), and “2 Weapon Alfa ASW Systems,” (NavSource). He also mentioned that there were 4 single mount torpedo tubes, mounted in the hull under the deck, but was uncertain of location fore and aft or above - below water line. These single tubes are not listed.
Any information on these weapon systems or on the Wilkinson would be appreciated.
Thanks
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC
Information on Weapon Alfa can be found here:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/r-4.html

The Mk 108 Weapon Alfa was a mount that could fire up to 12 rocket assisted depth charges per minute. It's use was the precursor to the ASROC mount seen in the 60's. It was the replacement for the standard Mk 11 and Mk 15 Hedgehog launchers. Weapon Alfa was fitted to many of the rebuilt Fletcher DDE's in the 1950's, and was carried on both the Norfolk class DL, as well as the Mitscher class DL's, which the Wilkinson was a member of. The DL's (destroyer leaders) were the outgrowth of a concept that Larger, cruiser-like destroyers were needed for the faster Soviet submarine designs that were beginning to appear in the 1950's. The Norfolk, originally classed as a CLK (ASW light cruiser) was the prototype, and the Mitschers were the first "production" class of this type of ship. Look at this site for more information on the design of these ships:

http://www.destroyerleaderassociation.org/index.asp
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
I never heard of these before. INteresting concept. Looked them up in the photo archives and i didn't see anything looking likea torpedo tube so i would surmise it must have been under the water line.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:50 PM UTC
Thanks 1.90E_31, that answers the Alfa weapon question. Here I was looking for torpedoes.
My uncle (or I ) may be confusing the 4 internal mount torpedo tubes with one of his other Ships – DD 723 Walke ( it was 50 years ago after all), but I have yet to look.
Does any on else have any further info on the Wilkinson?
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 02:23 PM UTC
Redshirt:

Quoted Text

My uncle (or I ) may be confusing the 4 internal mount torpedo tubes with one of his other Ships – DD 723 Walke ( it was 50 years ago after all), but I have yet to look.

Sorry, forgot to address this. These ships had four fixed torpedo tubes, two to each side, mounted in the forward end of the aft superstructure. If you look at a picture of the ship, you'll see a break along the main deck where there's a passage amidships. Just aft of this break, you should be able to see what looks to be two round objects on top of each other sticking out of the wall. These are the fixed tubes. There are a set on each side of this deckhouse. The FRAM II Sumners (like the Walke), had their fixed tubes mounted on the upper deck at a 45 degree angle forward. If you go here:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/06021082.htm

and look at the eighth photo down, you'll see a set on a Knox Class frigate.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:19 PM UTC
Sierra Hotel 1.90E_31 !
I had never before even heard of these weapons. After seeing the Walke has 2 mounts of five torpedoes, I think these were on the Wilkenson. (yet to be referenced)
This post was removed.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 09:53 AM UTC
Redshirt:

Quoted Text

I had never before even heard of these weapons. After seeing the Walke has 2 mounts of five torpedoes, I think these were on the Wilkenson. (yet to be referenced)

The quintuple mounts you reference here are different from what we've been discussing. The quintuple mount is a WW2 mount used for anti-ship attacks. These were replaced during the FRAM 2 program with tubes for the Mk 46 anti-sub torpedoes. Thee were longer range torpedoes since FRAM 2 destroyers were not equipped with ASROC. ASROC replaced both these long range torpedoes, as well as the Weapon Alfa, since it was a longer range, and more accurate, weapon. All that to say, Wilkinson would not have had the quintuple mounts since these were mostly removed in WW2 ships starting in the early 1950's, and the DL's were designed with ASW, rather than ASuW work in mind.
 _GOTOTOP