_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
NEWS
Constitution to Undergo Repairs
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:59 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

"Old Ironsides" to undergo the most extensive restoration effort on the ship in 11 years and is estimated to be completed in September 2009.

Read more about it!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gator
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
They're taking off her spar deck and she'll still be open for tours? That seems strange.

I've GOT to get to Boston someday, just to see the old gal.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:51 AM UTC
I toured the ship in the mid 80's and was just so excited. (I walked like 2 miles just to do this and found 30 other of our group had followed me. I was also just mezmorized when she sailed under her own power . My sister thought I was a wee bit nuts to be so excited. I think she appreciates those things a little better now. She took a trip out to Gettysburg and "felt" the spirit that runs through that place
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:55 PM UTC
Long ago I picked up a photo of a ship that looked an awful lot like the Constitution, but under sail. This was long before she was repaired to be able to sail. I found a photo of the ship in a book claiming to be the only known photo of her under sail, and it wasn't the photo I had. Unfortunately during the course of many moves over the years the photo got destroyed. I really wish I had it still.

I did manage to walk the decks of HMS Victory, which was fantastic, but I suspect the fact the Constitution is in the water, and not in dry dock, must make it even more incredible.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
2 thngs about my visit. I remember having to stoop a bit when I was on the gun deck (and I'm only 5'7") and that i was very unhappy that I didn't have my camera with me. We (my reserve unit) had gone up there to run an exercise for the 26th Div. We had to wait for our flight out several hours so some guy who had been up there before said go to the Boston Commons. So that is where the bus dropped us off for a few hours. Well, that became boring real quick . I discovered a city map on a sign and when I saw "Old Ironsides" That was it. I told a few of my buddies and they were game for the walk. I guess the word got around cause I looked behind us after a bit and almost everyone was following me.
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:34 PM UTC
Oh awesome ! I believe the restoration of these old battle ships is important. It is really cool, to get these old battleships to be refitted. It adds quite alot of value also as a tourism factor for the city or so on.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh awesome ! I believe the restoration of these old battle ships is important. It is really cool, to get these old battleships to be refitted. It adds quite alot of value also as a tourism factor for the city or so on.

Please, Constitution was a Frigate and the closest thing to a Frigate is a Cruiser, not a Battleship. As Littorio and I well know, Cruisers ROCK!
 _GOTOTOP