_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1:600 PE?
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC
I am building my 1:600 Coast Guard Cutter, all is going well, and I am attempting to detail the ship a little. Can anyone recomend 1:600 PE parts? Mainly, I am looking for railing. I didn't know if 1:700 would look correct or not. Also, I am looking for the launch arms (the arms that hoist the life raft over the edge, not sure the correct term for that). I am having a good time building this ship. I will try to post some pictures tonight.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am building my 1:600 Coast Guard Cutter, all is going well, and I am attempting to detail the ship a little. Can anyone recomend 1:600 PE parts? Mainly, I am looking for railing. I didn't know if 1:700 would look correct or not. Also, I am looking for the launch arms (the arms that hoist the life raft over the edge, not sure the correct term for that). I am having a good time building this ship. I will try to post some pictures tonight.

Ahoy Luke!

Talking 'bout these?

They're called Davits mate...

And the 1/600 PE for your Cutter, I'd check out Toms Modelworks or White Ensign Models first...looking forward to seeing your pic's!
Good Luck!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thre are also 2 other players in the brass market that might do 600 scale stuff. Eduard and Gold Medal MOdels. I seriosly doubt there is a specific PE set out there for your kit, but you might find a generic rail set in that scale. That is the problem doing oddball scales. Pretty much 700 and 350 rule the waves. There is also a couple of manufactures that do 400 but some just go on their merry way and do weird scales like 600 or 450. Good luck. PE really isn't that hard once you figure out how to bend it to the shape you want.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC
Luck,

The PE set from GMM(gold medal models...goldmm.com) MERCHANT SHIP DETAIL SET (1/600) has railings, ladders, and stuff for life boat rigging.
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 08:12 AM UTC
Great! Thanks guys, Davits it is!. Now to check out some of this PE stuff.
Thanks again
 _GOTOTOP