_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
MSW Today - Aug. 20
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC

Good moring MSW. It's a very humid 77 °F here at the news desk. I know I'm breathing a sigh of releaf that Hurricane Dean is going to stay well to the south of News Central. One major hurricane is enough for me.

Show and Tell
To start off this morning, how was everyone's weekend? Did you get any bench time? Tell us about it and post some photos. I did some more work on my 1/48 M4 Sherman. I'm stalled on it until I can get the correct size tubing for the calliope rocket tubes.

Around the Site

"Through the Looking Glass"
Ol' Gator posted a link for a new early submarine photo website. It has some very nice photos of subs from 1900 to 1940. Check it out.
Through the Looking Glass

USN WWII Vehicles
Alan McNeilly (AlanL) has found a supplier of some very nice WWII USN 1/35 vehicles. Some of theses would look nice in a LCVP or LCM. Surf on over and take a look.
USN Vehicles

Liberator's PT Boat
Ed Sarao (liberator) has completed some more work on his 1/35 PT. This has been a joy to watch come together. Please take a look and leave a comment.
Ed's PT

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:09 AM UTC
I didn't work on any floaty things this weekend. Saturday was all honey do. I moved two large refrigerator freezers and what seemed like the hottest, most humid day of the year. It probably wasn't, but it seemed like it. Sunday I did manage to get some work done on my 1/35 DML Sherman Operation Cobra. I managed to get most of the PE on, thanks to Gator Glue, and got it airbrushed. I think I'm going to give it another coat as I'm not thrilled with the way it turned out.

Yesterday on TCM they continued their Summer under the Stars month with Errol Flynn day. I watched some great old movies while puttering around the bench and the house.

Glad to hear Dean passed you by Kenny. I was wondering if you were going to be affected.

One more thing. I did some serious dreaming about travel. I found the following site. http://hnsa.org/index.htm which lists every historic ship on display, along with pictures, address, contact info, etc, in the United States. Combined with the address listed, and Google maps, I started planning and imaginary trip around the US. First to Texas for the USS Texas, and probably also the USS Lexington, then on to The Big Easy, to see the USS Kidd, and maybe say hi to Kenny. Then on to Alabama, North Carolina, New Jersey, and finally the Boston area. Yes, it's a dream, but a pretty nice one.

redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
I had one heck of a weekend.
It all started Saturday morning when the dog got into a fight with another dog and managed to injure his foot. So I was keeping an eye on him.
Then later that day we found out that that morning my one cousin was in a bad accident and had to have brain surgery that lasted all night. He wasn’t expected to survive it but somehow he did. I still don’t know what condition he’s in. Just that he should make it.

I did manage to do some work on a 1:1 riding mower after the one blade tried to come off.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good moring MSW. It's a very humid 77 °F here at the news desk. I know I'm breathing a sigh of releaf that Hurricane Dean is going to stay well to the south of News Central. One major hurricane is enough for me.

mmhmm, been watchin' this one too, mate...let's hope that it's just a small tropical rain when its landside...

Just catching up on PC stuff...home today, hoidays over, BTW tomorrow...put together a great feature sent in by Pedro, (check the front page for more info), last night, just made it live this morning...watching the lines for some first images (close on the Hobby Boss, Gator)...watchin it rain right now...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Nothing to report - all armour at the moment.

BTW whay don't you think about doing a Modellers Profile as per the Armopured site? I would be great to see a collection of everyones kits and a good moral boost for the troops.

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One more thing. I did some serious dreaming about travel. I found the following site. http://hnsa.org/index.htm which lists every historic ship on display, along with pictures, address, contact info, etc, in the United States. Combined with the address listed, and Google maps, I started planning and imaginary trip around the US. First to Texas for the USS Texas, and probably also the USS Lexington, then on to The Big Easy, to see the USS Kidd, and maybe say hi to Kenny. Then on to Alabama, North Carolina, New Jersey, and finally the Boston area. Yes, it's a dream, but a pretty nice one.

Hey Rodger!
Both the Kidd and the Texas are two hours away from my house, one west the other east. We had a Gearing class about 45 minutes away before Rita tore up the facility in Orange, Tx. The last I heard was she was coming to Lake Charles on some port property, but that was a couple of months ago. If that happens, I'll have one in my backyard!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Ahoy Kenny

No benchtime to report from the weekend.

It wasa family/sport/chore orientated weekend.

I have dragged IJN Isuzu to the front of the queue and intend to get it painted shortly.

Regards

Sean
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
I managed to have a pretty good assembly week. I have finished the 3 sub-sections to the superstructure. I"m working on doing the main guns, then thedual 5", then finishing up all the rest of the deck quad 40's and 30mm with gun shields. Trying to use up as much of my LAST bottle of superglue before it finally dries. Luckily Saturday is club meeting day and I hope to retreve my bottleof Gator glue. Ship is progessing nicely, but man that PE is EXTENSIVE !!!! Did get the deck blue color laid out and have started some of the hand painted areas to make life easier when I start laying out the multicolored splinter with Kenny's masks.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC

just to make a bit of noise
JB
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW whay don't you think about doing a Modellers Profile as per the Armopured site? I would be great to see a collection of everyones kits and a good moral boost for the troops.

Cheers

Al

Hi Alan

Well...
Features-General Shipmaking and there are three more ready to be published. The staff decided to have it as a monthly feature
Good link btw
Cheers
Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Al

Hi Alan

Well...
Features-General Shipmaking and there are three more ready to be published. The staff decided to have it as a monthly feature
Good link btw
Cheers
Skipper

Hi skipper, great, must have missed it. I remember the idea being floated around back in January/February glad to see it's come into being.

Cheers

Al
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Rodger!
Both the Kidd and the Texas are two hours away from my house, one west the other east. We had a Gearing class about 45 minutes away before Rita tore up the facility in Orange, Tx. The last I heard was she was coming to Lake Charles on some port property, but that was a couple of months ago. If that happens, I'll have one in my backyard!

ROAD TRIP!

I've a book on the Fletchers and it shows the Kidd high and dry at low tide. You can see her full hull. That would be interesting.

_GOTOTOP