_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A few more questions
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
I have a few builds that I would like to share on here but I cannot get good pictures from my camera. I have a cannon 7 megapixle camera and cannot really capture the small size and detail of the boat. Does anyone have any tips? I see many pictures on here and they all come out much clearer and many times better than the ones I have.

I have starting work on my Tamiya 1:35 PBR kit. I was wondering if anyone offered a detailing kit for it. The one I saw in the features section looked like it had a little more than my kit came with. Was this from a detail kit or just parts from other model kits?

How do you all take a full hull boat/ship and make a diaoroma out of it? Do you chop it down to a waterline style? Or do you just "make the water deep enought" for the full hull?

One last thing, the stand for my pbr kit looks to be damaged. One of the sides (part with boat name on it) looks to be missing about 1/4 of the end of it. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could purchase one of these to replace it.

Thanks
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi Luke,

I always use the Micro Mode on my Canon, they seem to come out OK.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a few builds that I would like to share on here but I cannot get good pictures from my camera. I have a cannon 7 megapixle camera and cannot really capture the small size and detail of the boat. Does anyone have any tips? I see many pictures on here and they all come out much clearer and many times better than the ones I have.

Luke, shooting a 7 meg, the way I get the close shots is to take the full image, which is quite large, and crop it, leaving just the part of the model I want to show off.

Quoted Text

I have starting work on my Tamiya 1:35 PBR kit. I was wondering if anyone offered a detailing kit for it. The one I saw in the features section looked like it had a little more than my kit came with. Was this from a detail kit or just parts from other model kits?

I think they do, but somebody will need to verify that. I would think it would be Eduard.

Quoted Text

How do you all take a full hull boat/ship and make a diaoroma out of it? Do you chop it down to a waterline style? Or do you just "make the water deep enought" for the full hull?

When I built my 1/35 Sturmboot, I took an old ceiling tile (you can use styrofoam) and carefully cut a hole to match the hull shape. This way you can position the boat on plane (running at speed), running low and slow or banked in a turn.
Sturmboot

Quoted Text

One last thing, the stand for my pbr kit looks to be damaged. One of the sides (part with boat name on it) looks to be missing about 1/4 of the end of it. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could purchase one of these to replace it.

Most manufacturers will sell replacement parts. Go to the Tamiya USA website. They should have something there about replacement parts.

~Gator
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks Harry and Gator, I will mess with the camera tonight and see what I can figure out. Its actually one of Harry's Tugs that I have completed that I am trying to get pictures of.

Just found the Eduard kit, has anyone ordered from them before? Any review on the kit?

I actually have a few ceiling tiles left over from helping a friend finish their basement that will work perfect. I never would have thought of that

This 1/35 scale is much "easier" for me to work on rather than 1/700. A lot less mistakes, and when my hands start shaking it does a lot less damage! Thanks again.
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Harry and Gator, I will mess with the camera tonight and see what I can figure out. Its actually one of Harry's Tugs that I have completed that I am trying to get pictures of.

Luke, I just use the Micro Mode and zoom in or out to get the best pic I can.
A friend said I should get one of these mini tripods and that would improve the pic quality.

BTW, what do you think of the Tugs?
luke_schwaller
Visit this Community
Herat, Afghanistan
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC
The tugs are great! Really really small though, the first one I built without the PE. I am totally new at 1/700 ship building and have had no problems or complaints so far. Really nice kits.
Thanks
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:17 AM UTC
Contact Tamiya at Tamiya .com site they will ask you to send a fax to them with the first page of the instructions and you can identify the srpue it came on. I had that happen just recently on a kit I was building and I had the part delivered in the mail within 2 weeks. Of course, you can just buy some plastistuct or evergreen styrene and make what you need if you are in a hurry.
 _GOTOTOP