_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Trumpy's San Francisco
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 07:23 PM UTC
I really oughta stay away from the Modelwarship website. This kit has not even been released yet and already the nitpickers have absolutely shredded it. This one individual calls it a "toy-like piece of crap". Of course he tears apart everything that is not a $500 resin kit, but still, it is almost disheartening to go out with our tiny budgets and be told that we are buying total crap.

I know this guy is suppossed to be the GOD OF ACCURACY, but yumpin yimminy. He compared Trumpeter's ships to Dragon's tanks stating how great they are in comparison, to how bad Trumpeter is. I don't thnk he builds tanks, or he would realize that even those get torn apart by the nit-pickers on this (Armorama) site. Those of us that are excited about getting this stuff are likened to drooling dogs.

Well, like I learned many years ago, Siskel and Ebert don't speak for me. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like due to no influence by others I look forward to the San Fran and Alabama. And dispite what he said about the North Carolina, I am having a ball putting it together and it is good enough for me.
winks147
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
Not to worry. I took a close look at it in Anaheim. It will benefit from some PE but it is accurate and a great starting point. I am thinking of quickly selling the resin version on my shelt.
Winks
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 09:08 PM UTC
Steve-O, that's the beauty of a free world, mate...everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and allowed to speak them...I listen to all, and then, like you, make up my own mind and go from there..........as far as I'm concerned, t'aint nobody knows everything, some know more than others, and something that I've learned in my 44 years here on earth is, what's right today, just may be wrong tomorrow....
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC
hey Steve, i just agree with you but why don't you say this to the guy on modelwarships? there has not been any virulent answer to the guy's rant yet?
As for staying away from their forums, hey where else on internet will you find some guy scratchbuilding a german destroyer in 1/35

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC
I don’t mind some one tearing apart a kit, it lets me know what I will be up against when I go to build it. But to degrade a kit and compare it to one that is more than ten times as expensive is just cruel. I think that many modelers enjoy the challenge of overcoming the deficiencies of affordable kits as art rather than merely assembling.
I hold a higher esteem for well done “cheap” model or scratch build, than I do for a workman like assembly of an expensive one. And just because you spent more on a kit doesn’t mean it will turn out any better.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 01:06 AM UTC
Blaster,

I'm right there with you. I base my buying to the kit. If it's something that looks interesting to me I'll buy it. Doesn't matter what peeps say about it as long as I like it.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
I have come to the conclusion that I really don't care what others think. This last weekend I spent a considerable amount of time, and more than what the San Fran kit costs, to repair about 30 feet of fence between my yard and my neighbors. It's been falling down for several years and really needed fixing. I took the initiative to fix the thing, and spent my precious weekend fixing it, and guess what, it's not perfect. It's ten times better than it was though, and that is what counts for me. If somebody comes over to my house and says something about the slats not being even, or the rails not be parallel they get kicked out of the house and never invited back!

As to models I build for myself, and for the folks in the club. When I get the kit, assuming I build it, I will put it proudly on display on my shelf, and probably take it down to the club meeting, and maybe enter it into a local contest. The people who will see it in my home are family and friends, and I guarantee you they don't know a battleship from a row boat, so they won't know any problems with the kit. The only way they guys in the club will know of any issues would be by reading rants like on Modelwarships, and I doubt many of them even know of the site. Finally at the local contest the judges aren't going to be focusing on the accuracies of the kit, and I can vouch for this as a judge at the last contest. They are going to look to see how well the kit is put together, and leave it at that.

Finally as to why people like this do what they do I just don't get it. Other than showing off how much they know, which I suspect is a major motivation for them, the only possible service they provide is to show what needs to be done IF you have the desire, money, and inclination to do it. On the other hand they make some people not buy a kit that they might be perfectly happy with, make others spend far more on a kit than they need to, make others ashamed of the kits they have, and generally make everybody but a few super detailers miserable. Good job there guys!

Ok, rant over.

Personally I can't wait to see this kit in the LHS. Even more I can't wait to see it built on some display table at a contest. More than anything I can't wait to see it built on MY display case.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 04:21 AM UTC
I personally don't care for guys like this. Always with the negative waves. That's why I don't go to those other sites except to plug my masks or gleem some news from all the b.s. That's why I stay here. You just don't get that kind of stuff here. Shoot, if I waited for good kits I would have never built my LCC or Kongo!
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
One of the interesting things that the person over at Modelwarships mentioned was that this kit was a pantograph of an existing resin kit. The description of the way that the resin kit was acquired was interesting too. It makes one question how many of the other kits that Trumpeter has released (Hood, NC, Mass., Liberty ship, England, etc.) are also pantographs, since all of these kits were also resin kits before Trumpeter released them. I wonder if we're looking at the beginnings of what the armor folks went through.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
I saw that thing about the pantograph. That may be a part of the reason he ranted so hard on the kit. I don't doubt the statement, but as I can't afford buying $250 crusier and $400 battleship kits from the resin dealers, will just not worry about how Trumpeter does its "research".I do respect his knowledge and expertise, but he is an extremist when it comes to accuracy. I have never seen his work, but I have noticed that in his flame wars with others not once has anyone ever said anything about what he has done, and usually that is one of the early things that happen when we have them over here. Of course we post frequently so others can see what we do. Then again the axiom of you get what you pay for comes to mind. If you buy a steak for $4 a pound do you really think it will equal the quality of one costing $12 a pound?
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw that thing about the pantograph. That may be a part of the reason he ranted so hard on the kit. I don't doubt the statement, but as I can't afford buying $250 crusier and $400 battleship kits from the resin dealers, will just not worry about how Trumpeter does its "research".

That's quite an interesting statement. Just to carry this thought forward. If Trumpeter decided to add paint masks to their kits, decided to use Kenny's products as a basis for their product, and made a direct copy of his work, would you still feel the same? I not trying to be argumentative, but I would like to understand just how far you would be willing to go before you would decide that this sort of activity isn't to your liking.

Here's a statement that Steve Wiper, owner of Classic Warships just made on Modelwarships:

"I looked at that kit and it does resemble mine in many, many ways, including the couple of mistakes I made on my resin kit. Trumpeter, by copying my resin kit and making numerous mistakes of their own, has now produced a product that has quite a few mistakes. Had they taken an honest approach in their endeavors to produce kits and done their research thru persons like my self, I would say that we would all be purchasing a much better quality product."

Now, do you agree or disagree with the sentiments of this statement? My point being this. It is the result of his work that you'll be getting this kit, just as the people at Commanders Models and Yankee Modelworks have lost the benefits of their work on the North Carolina and Massachusets kits. Do they deserve compensation for their work, or does Trumpeter for their copying of that work?

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, do you agree or disagree with the sentiments of this statement? My point being this. It is the result of his work that you'll be getting this kit, just as the people at Commanders Models and Yankee Modelworks have lost the benefits of their work on the North Carolina and Massachusets kits. Do they deserve compensation for their work, or does Trumpeter for their copying of that work?

That's very thought provoking. I do argree that copying someone else's work is not the thing to do. I can also relate to getting very upset when it's your work being copied. My only suggestion is that maybe the presentation of the facts was done more out of ill feelings than for educating the modeling community. You can catch more flies with honey...
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My only suggestion is that maybe the presentation of the facts was done more out of ill feelings than for educating the modeling community. You can catch more flies with honey...

Resin manufacturers purposely place errors into their work so as to demonstrate pirating. These errors are not critical to the accuracy of the model, but unless you're extremely familiar with the actual ship, they are not discernible. Since Mr. Wiper was able to recognize these errors as his, the fact they are on the Trumpeter kit is proof they copied his work. I have heard that both Commanders Models and Blue Water Navy have found these same sort of errors on the equivalent Trumpeter kits, so it's not really ill feelings when this sort of stuff is stated.

But the bigger question is this. What will Trumpeter do if these resin companies go out of business? With the exception of the Nimitz kit, all of their 1/350 scale releases have been previously released in resin. There have been rumors such as what Mr. Smith and Mr. Wiper have related to with hobby shops and other manufacturers shipping to Trumpeter resin kits, and once again another has been claimed to have identifying errors making it a pantograph, so what could be the ill feelings?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:05 AM UTC
When put in that perspective, you are most assuridly correct. I can understand that if I were in business and my work were copied and marketed against me (or as you mentioned citing Kenny's stuff as an example) I would be exemely upset. But, legal recourse against a large company is extremely costly in this country let alone throwing in the international aspect to it. With apologies to Mr WIper, I still plan to purchase it unless he cares to drop the price on his version to less than $75. Plus injection is a much more friendly medium than resin. 60 years ago made in China was synonomous to cheap copy rip-off. I guess Trumpeter is reviving this old sterotype again.

The car designers do this all the time. I remember the radical design that Porsche put out in 1977---the 924.....5 years later half the sports cars had something similar in design benefitting from Porsche's extensive wind tunnel and areodynamics testing. Such is life as good or bad as it may be.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When put in that perspective, you are most assuridly correct. I can understand that if I were in business and my work were copied and marketed against me (or as you mentioned citing Kenny's stuff as an example) I would be exemely upset. But, legal recourse against a large company is extremely costly in this country let alone throwing in the international aspect to it. With apologies to Mr WIper, I still plan to purchase it unless he cares to drop the price on his version to less than $75. Plus injection is a much more friendly medium than resin. 60 years ago made in China was synonomous to cheap copy rip-off. I guess Trumpeter is reviving this old sterotype again.

Thank you for replying. I understand your position, and it's perfectly understandable that price is the deciding factor for you. However, I'd also like to point out this:

Quoted Text

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it

This same series of events occurred when Eastern European plastic model companies started pantographing resin armor kits and accessories. Soon, most modelers began to expect plastic versions of resin kits so that their costs would be less, and as a result, resin manufacturers ceased production. Now, armor modelers are looking for those old resin kits and conversions, since they weren't happy with the quality of the plastic. Unfortunately, the resin manufacturers are now gone, and so are some of the plastic manufacturers, and the modeler still is left wanting.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:17 PM UTC
My question is if the resin manufacturers are able to prove that their kits have been copied, then why haven't they done anything in the legal department?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My question is if the resin manufacturers are able to prove that their kits have been copied, then why haven't they done anything in the legal department?

Not weighing in on either side of the issue as to if Trumpeter is copying or not I would have to say that if huge companies, with gazillions of dollars, aren't able to stop piracy of DVDs and audio CDs, etc, how does some little guy resin company have a hope in the world of taking on somebody like Trumpeter?

1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most resin companies are small operations, with little to spend on litigation that could take years. Can you imagine taking everything you make in profits and spending it on a lawyer, in the hopes that someday you might win? Not to mention that resin companies are not always in the same state as the offender, which makes the case a federal case, which could cause the hearing to occur years in the future and increasing the costs by having to get a lawyer in another state. Then, in the case of Trumpeter, not only dealing with another country, but with a country that's not too friendly to actions such as this, as well as the differences in international law. Then, if you win, waiting for the appeals to run their course before receiving any restitution. Might just be better to expose the copying, and hope that modelers make the decision.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Sadly, this seems to be one of those cases where the only recourse lies with the integrity of the buying public.

Resin manufacturer makes the initial kit, it's low volume and to recover costs, requires a high price tag.

Large plastic company copy's the work and can mass produce it and it's now available at a much lower price.

Large company "dares" the little guy to take legal action, but it's pretty much a no win situation for the little guy, so he basically gets wronged, pissed and can't do anything about it but complain.

The alternative? Once made aware of the situation, the only solution becomes for the buying public to become the "enforcer". If the pirated work doesn't sell because people refuse to buy it on principle, at some point perhaps the piracy stops.

Will enough people forgo buying a desireable product at a significantly lower price based on principle? Take a good long look at the American consumer today and you already know the answer to that question.

Tom
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 03:44 PM UTC
I must say I'm not at all happy with this entire thread. Here me out. I really wanted to get this kit when it comes out, and I may still very well do so. I really don't like the accusations of piracy, because I really believe in giving credit, in the form of royalties, where credit is due.The idea that Trumpeter stole the design of this kit is just plain wrong.

That said I want to play Devil's Advocate here with a few questions and observations. They are, in no particular order...

1. Having looked at the thread on Modelwarship it seems to me that the uproar over the merits of the kit began with complaints about accuracy, poor execution of the guns and masts and such, and the, to some, high price. (Frankly I don't see the price as being high at all, but that's my opinion.) It wasn't until several posts defending the kit were posted that the accusation of piracy came up. To me this seems just a bit suspicious.

2. Note, I am NOT accusing anybody, but it is quite common in literary, music, even screenplay circles for somebody to make accusations of piracy that the courts, after much debate, find to be groundless. (Yes sometimes it proves to be right but it seems the number of cases proved to be wrong outnumber the few proved to be right.) Again I am NOT saying the resin companies are lying but I would really like to see detailed photographic proof showing exactly areas of the resin kit and the plastic kit having the same mistakes.

3. Is it just their 1/350 ships that Trumpeter is supposed to have stolen? They seem to have an excellent reputation when it comes to aircraft and armor. Has there also been stories of Trumpy copying other types of vehicles?

4. Finally, and this is not a justification for piracy, there seems to be such a huge disparity in price between resin and plastic ships that it almost seems reasonable that some people may have a hard time living up to their morals. I don't have any facts to back this up but it seems to me that resin ship kits cost far more than their plastic competition to a higher degree than resin aircraft or armor kits to plastic. In other words while a resin tank might cost two or even three times what a similar plastic kit does a resin ship might be four or even five times as much.

By the way, in closing I would also like to say that I would never feel comfortable writing such a post as this on any other site. I have never seen anybody being slammed to any great degree for posting what they think here to the same extent I've seen on other sites. Which is why I come back here.

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC
I find the piracy accusation very fishy. Because, a resin design can very easily become injected styrene, just as accused.
I have not worked in injection molding for a while now, but I would think that $100k would get you three very nice dies (design included) and a run of at least 5k on each (practically a test run.) That’s $20 a unit. Wholesale at $30 retail at $60 (it is a Quality kit right?) and the resin artist just picked up $32k ($18,000 financing deducted) for placing an order and has the molds should the market demand a second far more profitable run.
To top it off the injection mold designs puts even more of a finger print on the product
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:55 AM UTC
Rodger,

I'll reply to your last point first:

Quoted Text

4. Finally, and this is not a justification for piracy, there seems to be such a huge disparity in price between resin and plastic ships that it almost seems reasonable that some people may have a hard time living up to their morals. I don't have any facts to back this up but it seems to me that resin ship kits cost far more than their plastic competition to a higher degree than resin aircraft or armor kits to plastic. In other words while a resin tank might cost two or even three times what a similar plastic kit does a resin ship might be four or even five times as much.

This is not necessarily true. The MSRP for the Trumpeter kit is $65. Add a set of photoetch (which both resin San Francisco's came with) from GMM at say $40, and the kit is $105. The Commanders kit sold at a retail of $225, and the Classic Warships kit was $265. That's only about 2.5 times the price. It only seems that a resin kit is so much more when the base prices are compared, but when the additional items are added to the plastic kit which are included in the price of the resin kit can a fairer comparison be made.

Quoted Text

3. Is it just their 1/350 ships that Trumpeter is supposed to have stolen? They seem to have an excellent reputation when it comes to aircraft and armor. Has there also been stories of Trumpy copying other types of vehicles?

Yes. Once you add the different names that Trumpeter operates under (MiniHobbies, Banner, etc.) you can start to see a series of different plastic and resin kits that other companies have done.

Quoted Text

1. Having looked at the thread on Modelwarship it seems to me that the uproar over the merits of the kit began with complaints about accuracy, poor execution of the guns and masts and such, and the, to some, high price. (Frankly I don't see the price as being high at all, but that's my opinion.) It wasn't until several posts defending the kit were posted that the accusation of piracy came up. To me this seems just a bit suspicious.

2. Note, I am NOT accusing anybody, but it is quite common in literary, music, even screenplay circles for somebody to make accusations of piracy that the courts, after much debate, find to be groundless. (Yes sometimes it proves to be right but it seems the number of cases proved to be wrong outnumber the few proved to be right.) Again I am NOT saying the resin companies are lying but I would really like to see detailed photographic proof showing exactly areas of the resin kit and the plastic kit having the same mistakes.

I don't think that the order in which this information has come out is germane to whether the charges are accurate. Trumpeter has been suspect of this sort of activity since the release of the Arizona kit. At the IPMS convention in Chicago when this kit was first available, I saw people comparing it to the old Revell kit, and not only were the parts the same, but most of the sprues were too. Yes, the Trumpeter kit was a larger version of the Revell kit, but there seemed to be no other conclusion that could be made. Since then, as more kits were produced, each was met with the same analysis, and the same conclusions were made. Their Essex kit is an exact copy of the Tom's Modelworks kit. The reason why is that Tom's Modelworks sent them the pattern for reproduction, and worked with them to make the kit an exact copy. There is a history of Trumpeter doing this, so the questioning of the San Francisco kit, especially when the owner of Classic Warships says it's a copy of his kit, it worth the investigation.

1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find the piracy accusation very fishy. Because, a resin design can very easily become injected styrene, just as accused.
I have not worked in injection molding for a while now, but I would think that $100k would get you three very nice dies (design included) and a run of at least 5k on each (practically a test run.) That’s $20 a unit. Wholesale at $30 retail at $60 (it is a Quality kit right?) and the resin artist just picked up $32k ($18,000 financing deducted) for placing an order and has the molds should the market demand a second far more profitable run.
To top it off the injection mold designs puts even more of a finger print on the product

Redshirt, starting with your last point first. A resin design is far more individual since the pattern for the part is hand made. It has flaws that can be easily discerned, whereas an injection molded part is, at least today, computer generated and could be said to be flawless.

Second, it does seem that it would be very easy for a resin company to contract for an injection die, but how many of those companies have the financial ability to not only come up with the needed $100k, or be able to take the necessary developmental time to get a return on that capital? Not to sound xenophobic, but Trumpeter doesn't operate in the same financial climate as do the resin companies.

Finally, it is very easy to pantograph a resin kit, and turn it into a plastic kit. In fact, this process is accelerated by the resin kit, since all of the assembly problems have been solved. All that one needs to do is to take the resin part out of the box, and reproduce it. Further, even though in most cases rudimentary, the instructions come pre-done too. It really is just a matter of repackaging.

Now before this discussion continues, let me make this clear. Whatever decision a modeler comes to is not a part of my position. My position is simply to present another side of what is occurring here. Whether it's accepted or rejected is irrelevant. Modelers should have as much information before making a decision, and if this sort of thing is important to you, you should know about it. If it isn't, buy the kit.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw that thing about the pantograph. That may be a part of the reason he ranted so hard on the kit. I don't doubt the statement, but as I can't afford buying $250 crusier and $400 battleship kits from the resin dealers, will just not worry about how Trumpeter does its "research".I do respect his knowledge and expertise, but he is an extremist when it comes to accuracy. I have never seen his work, but I have noticed that in his flame wars with others not once has anyone ever said anything about what he has done, and usually that is one of the early things that happen when we have them over here. Of course we post frequently so others can see what we do. Then again the axiom of you get what you pay for comes to mind. If you buy a steak for $4 a pound do you really think it will equal the quality of one costing $12 a pound?

I was going to stay out of this, since I'm a MW.com moderator, and obviously biased to some degree about comment made about that site. However, I want to say a few things.

First, among the many good points made in this thread, a few stand out. The first, by Rodger: I have come to the conclusion that I really don't care what others think. And 2nd, JBA: why don't you say this to the guy on modelwarships?

In regards to the first comment - Rodger is right. If you want to buy the Trumpy SF, then buy it. What do you care what Ron, or anyone else, thinks about the kit. This hobby is supposed to be a release from the day to day grind, something that we enjoy and which gives us pleasure. If you want to build model X, then buy it and build it and have fun.

Secondly, regarding JBAs comment - I think it's poor form to come to one website to trash something said on another site. Yes, Ron is a perfectionist. It comes from working as a Quality Control person in the defense industry. He is just stating his opinion, and even if he does so quite forcefully, it's still his opinion. Just because he trashes a model, it doesn't mean you can't buy it.

He killed the Trumpeter Sullivans, but I bought one anyway, because that's the version of the Fletcher I need to build my Uncle's ship, the Gatling. I haven't found it quite as bad as Ron said it was, but it is a flawed model, and I'm using a ton of aftermarket stuff to spruce it up.

The point is, you shouldn't come here to trash what goes on over there. As Ron is entitled to his opinion, you are entitled to yours. I can see your point about the cost - it does get pricey buying resin ships. But if there are those of us who are willing to go that route, that's our right. Just as it's your right NOT to buy resin. As you said, you (usually) get what you pay for.

Oh, and Ron is a pretty good modeler. You can check out his work in his gallery over on MW.com: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/Ron-Smith/user-index.html

And regarding this comment by 1.90E_31: Modelers should have as much information before making a decision, and if this sort of thing is important to you, you should know about it. If it isn't, buy the kit.

I think that is the point of Ron's comments. He is, in a cold, clinical way, pointing out the flaws of the kit. What you decide to do with that information is up to you.

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 05:59 AM UTC
1.90E_31
[quote]
Quoted Text

Redshirt, starting with your last point first. A resin design is far more individual since the pattern for the part is hand made. It has flaws that can be easily discerned, whereas an injection molded part is, at least today, computer generated and could be said to be flawless

Flawless? Not only are there flaws, but just as with resin casting wear on the mold and operational deviations can tell you not only what mold (with the exact same program and tooling) but which run and quite possibly when during the run.
[quote]
Quoted Text

Second, it does seem that it would be very easy for a resin company to contract for an injection die, but how many of those companies have the financial ability to not only come up with the needed $100k, or be able to take the necessary developmental time to get a return on that capital? Not to sound xenophobic, but Trumpeter doesn't operate in the same financial climate as do the resin companies.

Finally, it is very easy to pantograph a resin kit, and turn it into a plastic kit. In fact, this process is accelerated by the resin kit, since all of the assembly problems have been solved. All that one needs to do is to take the resin part out of the box, and reproduce it. Further, even though in most cases rudimentary, the instructions come pre-done too. It really is just a matter of repackaging.

Okay, then why don’t the resin kit developers do this themselves and beat them to the punch?

It has been a new world order for a while now, the economy is global and the US dollar is cheap and recently getting cheaper every day. Granted that makes it less attractive to use a molder out side the US. However, venture capital or a loan is readily available, unless you are a felon, have poor credit, or are already deeply in debt (I included it at 18% in my example).

Many parts of the world look at property rights differently than Americans and Europeans. The maker of a kit needs to decide if they are in it for art or business. If art, then they should find it flattering to be copied. If business then they have to fulfill the market before some one else does it for them. Even Bill Gates can not protect his property these days.

I know its cold, and I don’t like it much my self, but that is the way the world turns.

_GOTOTOP