_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Gator masks
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 07:26 AM UTC
For those of you who have avoided doing complex camo schemes on your ships you really need to give Kenny's masks a shot. I was one of those guys because the measuring and remeasuring then trying to cut masking tape to paterns just didn't work for me. I went ahead and got the 350 scale North Carolina set and just recently used it. I had to cut some of the pieces when doing the superstructure subassemblies to get them to work into the 3d of the actual model. When I dry fitted the pieces with the deck and upper hull, I only found a couple of areas that required touchup due to a little bleeding and piece adjustment.. As I get the kit nearer to completion, I will post a couple of shots I promise, but as ya'll know I almost never ever show non-completed work.

A little advice, all you got is some general instructions from Kenny and a big sheet with the masks on it....usually (as in my case) in the shape of the ship. I took a marker and wrote numbers on the pieces on the sheet referring to the cammo pattern that came with the kit. 1 was for the light grey and 2 was for the medium grey.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
Can't argue with that, mate...complex camo schemes are now a distinct possibility with much less hassle, I will say...and the mask material that is used in Gators masks is top notch, completely seals between colors, and won't lift off the paint...give em a shot, mates!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
Thank y'all for your wonderful comments. My goal is to make painting easier. I'm glad to see that I've done that for you.

~Gator
 _GOTOTOP