_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
MSW Today - Monday, Sept. 10
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:38 AM UTC

Good Morning Model Shipwrights. It's Monday.

Let's take a look at what's new around MSW.

SOTQ #2
Ahoy mates!. You still have time to enlist in SOTQ #2! I challenge all of the crew to look in your stash and see what you got. You don’t have to have a boat load of aftermarket accessories to join in. You can build out-of-the-box.
SOTQ #2

IPMS USA Photo Report
Jim Starkweather (staff_Jim) bring us his report on the 2007 IPMS USA Nationals along with 983 photos and one video. There are some beautiful models that were on display this year. Thank you Jim for sharing your hard work.
IPMS USA National Report.

1/700 Bay Class Frigate
Rui Matos (skipper) has done some more work on his awesome scratch built 1/700 Bay class frigate. This is a beautiful build. Surf on over and check it out.
Bay class frigate.

Sultana Build
Robert Vaglio (rv1963) has posted an update on his wood sailing ship Sultana, a Colonial Schooner built in 1767. Robert is doing a wonderful job with this kit. He makes it look too easy, and we know it’s not. Please check out this masterpiece in the making.
Sultana.

Crewmate Sound Off
Now is the time in which you can share your news and views. Give us the poop on you latest builds and future projects. Share with us your weekend adventures. We all what to know what you did this weekend. So, sound off mates!

That's all for now from the news desk. Remember, if you can't get to your bench and build, at least you can talk about it.

Later...Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:57 AM UTC
Once again, no bench time for me...a new review, and three more features in the makings for MSW has taken my weekend...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

All armour at the moment.

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Once again, no bench time for me...a new review, and three more features in the makings for MSW has taken my weekend...

All work and no play makes for a dusty workbench. Now relax and go build something!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kenny,

All armour at the moment.

Cheers

Al

I here ya. I've got three ships in the slipway and was building a 1/24 #17 DeWalt Ford NASCAR this weekend for a buddy. The build was fun but the dang humidity messed up the paint job. I knew I should have used acrylics. Man, I don't like enamels, except in a rattle can to prime. At least the driver came out really good.
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All work and no play makes for a dusty workbench. Now relax and go build something!

Yeah, yeah, I know...starting to forget what it feels like, actually!

Gotta keep proper perspectives, though...family 1st, MSW 2nd, then my hobby time...
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, yeah, I know...starting to forget what it feels like, actually!

Gotta keep proper perspectives, though...family 1st, MSW 2nd, then my hobby time...

Un huh, but even important people like you need some "me" time.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC
Not as much time as I'd like at the workbench (again) this weekend, but I did my make progress on my 1/700 Gneisenau . Just have to finish the FuMo 22 radar and the Arado seaplane, and construction will be finished.

The rest of the weekend was spent in family pursuits: Taking my son to a NY Mets baseball game on Saturday, and picking up our new dog (a West Highland Terrier) on Sunday.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
Precious little bench time, but a very good weekend none the less. Saturday I had some honey dos in the morning. To make up for it I bought myself a batter radio and while doing yard work, cleaning the shed, etc, I listened to the Air Force football game where they beat the odds and beat Utah at home. Go Falcons.

Yesterday I vegged out and watched 3, count em, 3 football games, including that last second win of the Broncos over the Bills. Yeah Baby. Even my Fantasy team won. A very good day.

I did work some more on my Sherman. I keep telling myself today is the day I'll finish, and still find more to work on.

I did take about an hour to look at the pictures Jim posted on IPMS. VERY NICE.

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 06:11 AM UTC
No ship time this weekend but did get some time on some little 1/144 aircraft.
Also picked up the Trumpeter 1/700 Washington.

Ciao
Luciano
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:05 AM UTC
I unpacked my model stuff, my Grand Uncle needed some modeling tools. (good excuse huh?) Also the seller is balking at the house inspection, even though he would still come out with a gain on the sale… Everything is up in the air and in a holding pattern.
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:04 AM UTC
Well Saturday I went to work at 9 and came home at 8 then yesterday I went back for 6 more hrs.
Needless to say no modeling this weekend.

But it looks like I get the morning off tomorrow.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC
Here is a photo that I took at my Uncles tonight.

I think I have him talked into a ship next.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 08:20 PM UTC
Worked the show this past weekend. Didn't have much time to look at the models or even the vendors. Saw a nice 350 scale semi'scratch Yorktown conversion. Got very little work done on NC. finished all the brass on all the twin 5 inchers. Laid some black paint to represent the blast bags on all the 16 and 5 inchers today. Probably finish them all up tomorrow and start laying out some railing later this week

HIghlight has to be the flame war I got roaring over on Armorama. Take a read of the "pictures of an early pather G without zimmerit." thread. Ya'll know how I feel about folks making no how-no way statements. Poor mr adament now has everyone gunning to prove him wrong. Thing is, if he had not made rude remarks at my expense I never would have known or cared. I got a couple of emails from some guys who didnt like the way he responded to my suggestion.

Oh Kenny where is that weekly football report...I can't find out how VMI did It was probably a fluke that they won last week. his week Bama plays Arkasas at home. If we can take these guys this year we'll vault into the AP poll.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh Kenny where is that weekly football report...I can't find out how VMI did It was probably a fluke that they won last week. his week Bama plays Arkasas at home. If we can take these guys this year we'll vault into the AP poll.

Didn't have time this week Steve. Been busy trying to get the major projects wrapped up at work in case I need to go to New Orleans to stay with Ian so Renee can work.

Here's your VMI update, sorry.
William & Mary 63, VMI 16
Maybe they should play Michigan.

Here's the VMI athletic link - VMI Keydets

Here's an update on lil' Gator. They will re-insert the shunt tomorrow. Also, because of his general good health and his growth they will be able to drain the shunt into his abdomen. Renee said he is getting bored and stir crazy. He was up till 11:30 last night standing in his bed grabbing the railing and bouncing while he chanted "monkey monkey". Go figure.

~Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
VMI usually wins one maybe two sometimes games a year. Getting the crap knocked out of them usually occurs about 4 of those games. Appalachian State (the team that took out Michigan) is in their confrence and I cannot recall a time we ever beat them except maybe in the mid 70's.

Glad to hear Ian is showing good signs. Read that that Buffaloe player looks to recover enough to walk again. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to stay out of football if he recovers fully.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Model Shipwrights: 267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did take about an hour to look at the pictures Jim posted on IPMS. VERY NICE.

Why thank you Mr. Cole.

Cheers,
Jim
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 03:37 PM UTC
Well, daddy to the rescue. I made my supply run to New Orleans today.

This was Ian before I got there.

He was in bed and not wanting to drink. Understandable considering this was the first time in two years that they have had to go into his tummy. Thursday they re-inserted the shunt.

He perked right up when I hit the door and I helped sit up so we could play. While Mommy was taking a shower, I got him to drink some Sprite. I changed the batteries in one of his talking books and fixed the pen light he jacked from one of the residents. It was good to see him smiling.

While he was napping and a friend was keeping and eye on him, Renee and I slipped out and ran to Wal-Mart for some other things and then I headed home. I can't wait till next Friday when we can ALL go home.
 _GOTOTOP