_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
First 1/350 build ideas...
Preacher
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi, folks. I am about to build my first 1/350 scale ship, but i cannot decide which it should be - except that i want to build a battleship or cruiser. I'm not a rank beginner, but neither am i expert like so many here. I would consider myself solidly average, having built several different scales and subjects (1/43, 1/20, and 1/12 cars, 1/35 and 1/72 armor, 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72 a/c, and 1/700 naval). Anyway, i've been looking at several of the Tamiya kits - Prince of Wales, Missouri, Bismarck, Yamato - and several Trumpeter kits, too - NC, Hood, etc.

Any suggestions for a first time 1/350 builder?

Thanks,
Ricky
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
First of all Ricky welcome to the wet side.

Next, pretty much forget about a cruiser, in plastic, unless you want to wait till the Trumpeter USS San Francisco comes out.

For a first ship in this scale you just can't do any better than Tamiya. Then it's just a matter of choosing one that interests you the most.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
I know you said you want to build a battleship or cruiser, but if you really want a nice kit that goes together with a minimum of fuss, I'd try the Tamiya Fletcher:

It's a great little kit that I've really enjoyed building (this one just needs the PE added).

If you are set on a cruiser or battlewagon, I'd suggest the Hasegawa Mikasa. While I haven't built it yet (it's in my stash), I know a few people who did, and they were really impressed with it. I'd stay away from a USN WW2 Battlewagon as your first 1/350 kit, due to the plethora of AA guns, unless you are building the Arizona. There is also the MiniHobbies Pola, an Italian cruiser available in 1/350, but I don't know anything about the quality of this kit, which was probably scaled up from the old Tauro 1/400 kit.

For more ideas, go to the Trident Hobbies home page. Look for "Plastic Ship Models" on the left, then click on "Shop by Scale". Choose 1/350 and start scrolling till you find something you like!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
I agree with Martin's recommendation about building the Fletcher first. It practically falls together and looks really nice when finished- even without PE. It's a first "starter kit" (for lack of a better term) in 1/350.

However, as someone who has built the Mikasa (I was probably the first modeler in North America to finish her in the Tsushima fit ), I would not recommend that kit as your entry into 1/350. It goes together alright, but the nature of her construction with the many layers of open decking, tons of secondary weapons of varying calibers (as any good Pre-Dread should have) and the mass of rigging, may quickly get you bogged down and result in an unfinished build. There is an added amount of "foresight" you have to have when building and painting this kit that later ships don't have. Also when one considers the relatively high cost of the kit...

My Mikasa...

Either way, welcome to 1/350!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 07:02 AM UTC
I pretty much have built all the battleships in 350 out there ...well the WW2 ones that is. I would stay away from the Trumpeter as there are some difficulties with those kits that while not terribly hard to overcome, still require fore-knowledge based on finding out how others overcame them. All of the Tamiya kits go together sweetly.Just pick up one of those. Check through ebay as you can almost certainly save a great deal of money than is currently charged at the Hobby shop. Check out all 8. The Tirpitz and Musashi will sell cheaper than their more famous sisters. You may also want to tackle PE on them as well. A set of railings really spices them up and other cool things like cranes , radar arrays, catapaults and what not add even more. Tom's sets are excellent value for the money. WEM are more extensive in what they put in their sets and are also much more expensive. There is also Gold medal Models whcih falls in between the 2. A new player entered the fray Lionroar . Very expensive but unbelievably EXtensive as they include metal gun tubes and popellorsand anchor chain
Preacher
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help, fellas. I have decided based upon your feedback to go with the Prince of Wales kit. Additionally, I picked up Tom's PE for it.

I did come *real* close to grabbing that Fletcher kit, too. However, I'm going to try and go one at a time here.

Thanks again!
Ricky
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I built the KGV (sister) and just had a ball building it. I'm doing Trumpeter's NOrth Carolina right now using the Lionroar set and thanks to learning through the mistakes of others, I am just proceeding slowly but surely and without any gliches through it. I love 350 scale in that you can see so much detail with just the naked eye. They make excellent display models as I have 2 on top of my "entertainment center" in my living room. Look forward to seeing pictuers of it. Oh if you elect to do a camo scheme on it, contact Gator and use his masking set....makes that task incedibly easy and it looks super as well. I used it on my Carolina.
 _GOTOTOP