_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Weekend Wrap-up October 1
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC

Good Morning Model Shipwrights. It's Monday, October 1.

From the Sports Desk
Let’s take a look at this weekend in college football.
No. 2 LSU overcomes a sluggish first half to beat Tulane 34-9
Colorado upsets No.3 Oklahoma 27-24
Kansas State beats up on No. 7 Texas 41-21
Florida State wins by a touchdown over No. 22 Alabama 21-14

Checking in on the military academies,
Navy beats Air Force 31-20
Army is victorious over Temple 37-21

And looking at alma maters
McNeese pounds South Dakota 31-7. Go Pokes!
VMI rolls against Robert Morris 40-13

Here’s a look at the AP Top 25
1. LSU
2. USC
3. California
4. Ohio State
5. Wisconsin
6. South Florida
7. Boston College
8. Kentucky
9. Florida
10. Oklahoma

Let's take a look at what's new around MSW.

Opinion Poll
Mark R. Smith (Gunny) want’s your opinion on a new weekly feature here at Model Shipwrights. Click on over and help our site grow.
Opinion Poll.

"Scuttled"
Robert Scott (SMOKIN_GUNS3) brings us a wonderful photo essay of his awesome 1/72 U-boat diorama. Bravo Zulu Robert.
”Scuttled”.

Great White Fleet #146
Sean Ford (Fordboy) brings us installment #146, a close up look at the USS California, ACR-6. Take a look at this beautiful armored cruiser.
GWF 146.

Crewmate Sound Off
Now is the time in which you can share your news and views. Give us the poop on you latest builds and future projects. Share with us your weekend adventures. We all what to know what you did this weekend. So, sound off mates!

That's all for now from the news desk. Remember, if you can't get to your bench and build, at least you can talk about it (right Gunny?).

Later...Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's all for now from the news desk. Remember, if you can't get to your bench and build, at least you can talk about it (right Gunny?).
Later...Gator

Well...yet another week has passed without any bench time, mate...

But, I did get three more fantastic MSW features coded, edited, and ready in the tubes...as well as sending out many new kits to new reviewers, and taking images for a few of my own MSW reviews... so like you said Gator, at least I can talk about it (I'm becoming a professional at virtual modeling)
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(I'm becoming a professional at virtual modeling)
~Gunny

Ahh, I can see it now.
New to the Kit Maker Network, "VMSW".
Virtual Model Shipwright

Gator
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
Got a bit of painting done one The Sullivans, and also my first stab at the PE. I bent the aft depth charge rails but haven't glued the horizontal portions on yet. I shall have to knock on it if I'm to complete her before the Hobby Town contest.

Yes Navy beat up Air Force. Unfortunately that seems to be the Falcons modes operandi the last few years, get off the a great start to the season and win some hard games, then fall down later when it counts. When I moved here to Colorado it was nearly a given they'd win the Commander in Chief's trophy every year, but those days are gone.

At least the Colorado Rockies have given us something to cheer for. A one game playoff with the Padres for the wild card slot. Yeah man. Finally something to root for in October baseball wise.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

(I'm becoming a professional at virtual modeling)
~Gunny

Ahh, I can see it now.
New to the Kit Maker Network, "VMSW".
Virtual Model Shipwright

Gator

Done that, been there - but got "cured", and now I do more bench time than I use to
My weekend was all modeling related, although I didn't paint, glue or touched a single model part
Atended Modelscala 2007, a model event organized by Montijo's Modeling Association (AMM) and entered models in two classes:
- Military dioramas with "Soviets Got a New SSK!" and "I-58 1944 fit"
- Ship models with "ORP Kaszub wz.25", "I-58 1945 fit" and "NRP Alvares Cabral" (the scratchbuilt project) and got prizes with all of them
Bought some models, talked with a lot of old friends and it was a very good weekend!
Cheers,
Skipper
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 05:14 AM UTC
Was hoping to do some modeling but never got to it.

Friday I got myself a stack of “firewood” for the wood shop. Lost of wormy oak but a few other pieces mixed in. Its all rough cut and weathered so I don’t know what all it is yet.
Anyway while stacking it the top shelf on the wood rack came crashing down. So I had to build a new top for that Saturday after work.

Also seems after a screw up with the cable company we’ve now gotten ourselves a few new movie channels plus a few there running free this week. So I’ve been watching TV.

On a plus side I was planing on working today but the boss seems to be MIA again so I’ve just glued up the torpedoes for my PT boat.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
Well, I got the zimmerittfinally finished up on my KT. got a little bit of assembly done. Saw the parts break down on the Bama courtesy of Kenny. Can't wait for that to hit the docks.

Foot ball wise. Bama played another real good game. they usually lose when they get behind, but they kept surging back. They've got a couple of ones they should win coming up then Tennessee. LSU...watch out, the Gator is extremely angry this week....especially at Tigers...but being an SEC fan I'm thrilled at the #1 ranking. Wow VMI has won 2 already ths year as well as Oakland and Notre Dame is 0 - 5. So once again the sting of Bama losing is lessened
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LSU...watch out, the Gator is extremely angry this week....especially at Tigers...but being an SEC fan I'm thrilled at the #1 ranking.

After the performance Saturday, Les Miles will have the Tigers ready. Man, I wouldn't want to be in those practices.
Quote of the day ~ Les Miles on the No. 1 ranking: "I think the pollsters slept in and missed the first half of the game."
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
More than likely this is only round one. These 2 teams will probably meet again in Atlanta. I've got a Boy Scout campout this weekend but I am considering skipping it (there are plenty of other adults going) to stay and watch this game. It would have been great if Florida wre undefeated as the AP probably would have set this up as a 1 vs 2 match. Of course here in Dallas we also have the fabled "Red River Shootout" which is the annual Oklahoma - Texas game. Both teams dropped theirs last week so they'll be on pretty equal footing this year. And still NOtre Dmae is 0 - 5. God I love college ball..!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC
Ahoy Kenny

Well its school holdays here in New Zealand.

My boys are away for this week with grandaprents.

I sprayed up the IJN Isuzu and with only 25 days to go the heat is on from the campaign admin.

I am spraying the deck as an experiment so I will be masking it up and hopefully spraying it this week. It will depend on how long it will take to mask I quess. I expect a marathon effort on a1/700 ship.

One funny thing happened I was spraying the grey thought boy the paint seems a bit splattered as if I am running out of paint. I was. I had forgotten to put the lid on and at one point when I was leaning the airbrush over the paint all slopped out but I had not noticed.

Grey paint everywhere.

Oh boy LOL

Cheers

Sean
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:10 AM UTC
Sean:

Sure hope it didn't slop on the ship or any carpet. I've been using my Paasche H-1 for 30 years now. ALways had an open cup so I learned to move the angle of the model rather than the airbrsh. Still, over the years I've had some spills. Luckily one was an off purple tone that fell on a medium grey carpet and it kind of blended in a bit...still can see it, it just isn't glaring. Of course the problem with this is, I end up painting a portion of my left hand uless I put on surgical gloves.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 04:30 PM UTC
Well I am moved but not unpacked. The items that failed the home inspection are being worked on. Aparently the apliances were not included in the inspection; the compressor is out on the fridge, the clothes dryer isnt vented and the dishwasher leaks...
most of my models came over with little or no dammage only 3 lost pieces and the Hermione droped 2 lines.
Before I packed the computor I started a build blog on aroscale of the P-51 that I am building while assisting my grand uncle with his B-25. I cant belieave that it got over 50 views without a single coment- It sure makes shipwrights look like a bunch of chatty opinionated guys.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
Haven't had much time to build lately, but I did manage to finish the Illinois and deliver it to the Battleship NJ museum this past Friday. I also started weathering the Gneisenau. The rest of the weekend was spent dealing with a puking kid and taking my wife to a Broadway show and lamenting the NY Mets meltdown...
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
Well, woke up Sunday feeling under the weather had a go at doing some modelling and managed to glue the undercarriage onto a Bf-109 but found it hard work so thought it better to rest up.

Start shift work next week so while on shift it will be no modelling or pc time but on the off days loads of time

Ciao
Luciano
 _GOTOTOP