_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
need help with photo etch
panzerfaust007
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 04:57 AM UTC
was wondering if i could use eduard 1/350 tirpitz tamiya detail set with 1/350 tamiya bismarck model
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi David

First of all, Welcome to MSW!
And regarding your question....Could you use it? Yes you can, but you will have a inaccurate model... If you're going to have that much work I would suggest to get the Bismark set.
Just my 2 cents
Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC
If you haven't bought the Eduard set, let me recommend to you the Gold Medal Models set. The White Esign models etched upper deck set is also a gerat addition in that it gives the details of wood planking and metal grating to the upper deck and decks in the superstructure / bridge area. I used these on the ripoff version of the Bismarck from Mini-Hobbies and they made that kit look like a jewel. Imagine what they would look like on the Tamiya version.
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi Dave, I am currently building the Tamiya 1/350 Tirpitz, and, since this is my first serious foray into models after some 45 years out of it, I thought I'd do all the research I could on what is out there now for these babies. I got the Eduard, White Ensign, and Gold Medal Models PE sets, and I would rate them in that order for quality and coverage. Factor in price and Eduard leaps way ahead.

Eduard simply has more stuff: four midsize frets, with - important - relatively few attachment points which need to to be filed off after cutting from the sprue. Their steel is easy to work with and the fine-etched details on the pieces are good. Railings are frequently semi-attached to their flooring portions, making their configuration and CA'ing easier. Deck planking detail is the best.

WE has a lot of stuff that Eduard skips over, and if used, has great detail also. It's brass, too, which looks cool before you paint it!

GMM coverage is spotty and deck plank detail is only a suggestion. I haven;t used anything from them yet, except to cut up a piece of skid-plate decking to floor the smokestack searchlight platform - its pattern matches that of Eduard and WE.

I have now finished the armaments, the smokestack, and the three hangers. I used E. for the cabin at the bottom rear of the stack, (not much to look at in WE, 0 in GMM), the little top platform at the front of the stack (0 in both WE & GMM), the crane & base - E. super here (WE & GMM pretty cheap), large decking, potato shack & railings to and from (E. has one-piece decking & rails - big plus), WE for the side vents. As far as ladders go, E. has it all over the others: if you inspect them closely, each ladder rail has a 180-degree fold-over tab at each end. If you fold this over tight and and close, this gives you a nice glue spot - and the proper stand-off dimension. This goes for the whole boat.

As for the hangers, I used almost WE exclusively; their boat gear is far superior in scope and detail: nice tread pattern on the walkways, and the extra layer of bracing on the big hanger door is a stand-out. But for the small hanger top walkways, I laid the Eduard down first and the WE down on top of it - it's not full-length and would hang out unsupported on each end otherwise. E. is also good for their over-the-top handrails (absent in WE & GMM). E. also has ladders extending downwards from the rear of the outboard boat supports, missing in WE & GMM.

Gun detail for the 10.5 cm AAs is superior in Eduard, and the E. quad AAs are a dream to assemble; just a lot of folding. WE as are a mess of itty-bitty pieces, probably impossible to glue up cleanly. Unless you're one of the many geniuses here.... Sliding visor-ports on the big 38 cm guns is Eduard, but WE is ok. On the secondary guns (15 cm?), the rear access doors are what seems to be 1/700 scale in Eduard. I used the proper-sized WEs.

I hope this reply doesn't find the thread dead, but here it is anyway. Hope this helps someone.

Stephen

_GOTOTOP