_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
PROPOSAL~Cold War Tin Cans...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC
All Hands On Deck!

Crewmate Jim Adams (goldenpony) has proposed a new campaign here at Model Shipwrights, "Cold War Tin Cans Around the World," follow the link below, and sign up for this excellent campaign proposal!

As per campaign regulation, we need 15 participants to make it a go!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC
goldenpony or Gunny,

Cold war....sounds like a winner to me. Just so I and others don't get confused what would be the official time frame were looking at? Start of the cold war? end of the cold war? Great subject, tin cans are the little brothers of the battle wagons so I gotta join the fun.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 01:05 AM UTC
hey all,

Answered my own question with a googled search;

History of the
Cold War Origin

The Cold War was the period of conflict, tension and competition between the United States and the Soviet Union and their respective allies from the mid-1940s until the early 1990s. Throughout the period, the rivalry between the two superpowers was played out in multiple arenas: military coalitions; ideology, psychology, and espionage; military, industrial, and technological developments, including the space race; costly defense spending; a massive conventional and nuclear arms race; and many proxy wars.

There was never a direct military engagement between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, but there was half a century of military buildup, and political battles for support around the world, including significant involvement of allied and satellite nations in proxy wars. Although the U.S. and the Soviet Union had been allied against Nazi Germany, the two sides differed on how to reconstruct the postwar world even before the end of the World War II. Over the following decades, the Cold War spread outside Europe to every region of the world, as the U.S. sought the "containment" of communism and forged numerous alliances to this end, particularly in Western Europe, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.

There were repeated crises that threatened to escalate into world wars but never did, notably the Berlin Blockade (1948-1949), Korean War (1950-1953), the Vietnam War (1959-1975), the Cuban Missile Crisis (1962), and the Soviet-Afghan War (1979-1989). There were also periods when tension was reduced as both sides sought détente. Direct military attacks on adversaries were deterred by the potential for mutual assured destruction using deliverable nuclear weapons.

The Cold War drew to a close in the late 1980s following Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev's summit conferences with United States President Ronald Reagan, as well as Gorbachev's launching of reform programs: perestroika and glasnost. The Soviet Union consequently ceded power over Eastern Europe and was dissolved in 1991.

At least this gives me a time frame to look at.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
hello Mark,
are you talking only U.S. vs Soviet Union,or any destroyer of that era.example, the Greek navy or the Polish navy or just the principals of the cold war.
thx,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Mark,
are you talking only U.S. vs Soviet Union,or any destroyer of that era.example, the Greek navy or the Polish navy or just the principals of the cold war.
thx,
Bruce

Ahoy, Bruce!
Although not specifically stated in the outline, from the proposed campaigns title, I would have to say that all Cold War destroyers from any nation will qualify...
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 05:32 PM UTC
hello Mark,
thanks for the reply.i will think about doing this.
Bruce
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 04:22 AM UTC

I'm in - after all I qualify with my Navy Years
Good subject too
Skipper
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:36 AM UTC
hello Mark,
i am in on the cold war cans build.
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC
I too will be for this one, since I suggested it. As far as time frame I would day, 1950 to 1991. This way you can still use some of the left over World War II ships, but they had been upgraded with radar and newer weapons. Any country would be fine as long as it is a destroyer. After all there were actually plenty of different countries involved other than the US and USSR.

I thought this would be a nice way to get all skill levels involved. Those who want to take an old WWII tin can and update her and those who want to build OOB. So dig out the reference material and lets have some fun!

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:36 AM UTC
For those who ar thinking of doing a Spruance or a Kidd Class ship, for the Cold War they would have their upper decks and masts painted black.

I know, now I am being picky.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
Here are a couple of links for classes of destroyers used during the Cold War.

I know there are several different classes of destroyer that are listed as DD, DE, DL, DLG, DDG. Any of those are fine to build. Oddly enough some ships that were origianlly classed as DLG in the US Navy were later switched to CG (Crusier). If there are any questions on a ship you might want to build, feel free to give me a shout.

Cold War Destroyers

Cold War Index

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC
I think I'll give Trumpeter's Guided Missile Destroyer Udaloy a try.

Gator
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi Jim

And then there are the other Navies

The ship I am planning to build was DE-509 USS Formoe, and then modified, renamed NRP Diogo Cao (F-333) she was loaned to Portugal in 7th February 1957, and definetly sold to us in 1968.

Photo taken from www.desausa.org

I know that the letter is an F, but this was a DE - still a TinCan

Skipper

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
Arrr, all ye lilly livered scallywags....we be needin 9 more of ye to make this a go...so how bout it?
Wanna have a great bit of fun building a model with your mates, and earn a nifty looking campaign ribbon to display on your profile page? Well then, just follow the link below and sign up!

Official Campaign Headquarters

Well...what ye waitin fer?
Arrrr................................
tincanman
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
This sounds good for me, so will give it a go. Put me down for the USS Edson DD946 (early 70's) she was a good ship and hopefully I can do her some justice.

Mark

Quoted Text

All Hands On Deck!

Crewmate Jim Adams (goldenpony) has proposed a new campaign here at Model Shipwrights, "Cold War Tin Cans Around the World," follow the link below, and sign up for this excellent campaign proposal!

As per campaign regulation, we need 15 participants to make it a go!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC
I am thinking of doing the Zerstöer Schleswig-Holstein D182. I was going to do a DDG2 Adams Class ship, then figured why not try an European ship.

Me thinks that Gunny might be hitting the bug juice a little too hard, he thinks he is a pirate.

RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
Include me. I really like that era - I'll figure out which ship when the time comes.
Rick
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:55 PM UTC
Rick and Mark,

Welcome aboard!!

Make sure to sign up at the campaign page.

Click Here

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
Indeed, welcome to the campaign comittee ...and please don't forget to click on the "Enlist" button at the campaign HQ, so you can be oficially counted...half the way there, maties...February is not long off, so sign up and start getting ready now!

redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
I would but considering I’m already building my grandfathers ship Dio I’m going to have to sit this one out. Too many other things to do at this time.

But I do look forward to seeing these projects.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would but considering I’m already building my grandfathers ship Dio I’m going to have to sit this one out.

Any progress to show Jacob??

Skipper
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would but considering I’m already building my grandfathers ship Dio I’m going to have to sit this one out.

Any progress to show Jacob??

Skipper

Sorry no updates yet I’m afraid. But that last job looks to be over now so I should have time to get back into things.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC
Aye, be half-way tharrr, maties!

We have eight guys signed on for the proposal of this new campaign, "Cold War Tin Cans Around the World," but we need 7 more crew-mates to make this new campaign a go...so whaddaya say?

Wanna build a model with a bunch of friends, more than likely learn a thing or two (at the least)? It's a great way to support the site, have some fun, AND get a cool campaign completion ribbon for your profile...it's real easy mates...just follow the link below, click on the "Enlist" button, and start planning...

Official Campaign HQ

Arrrr.....whatcha waitin fer?
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:31 PM UTC
OK, I didn't want to have to do this, but I will if I can get another 7 shipmates to join. Not only will you get a nice ribbon after finishing your builds, but I will also throw in a kitten. So, what do you say!?!?

Please note that animals were harmed in the posting of this message.
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
hello Jim,
you have the stop date at 1992.one of the chinese ships the ZHU- HAI i ordered joined the fleet in 1993,is that close enought.it was prob. on shakedown and trials in 1992.the info i am useing is found at this site sinodefence.com.if not i have achinese DDGM built in the 1970's.
cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP